Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Rangler in fairness you have over 3400 posts on here if we are to criticise people on the basis of how much they express their opinions on boards? Then it would appear you may have spent more time with your toes up the chimney than most.
    So any news on IFAs reaction to the Ornua salaries? Or have the ifa pr people spoken to their pr people yet?
    Honestly we're being taken for mugs whatever way you look at it.

Agreed on your last line, I resigned from IFA because farmers had no appetite to do anything about being taken for mugs.
    i've definitely no time for anyone that tries to blame someone else when they have no interest in doing anything for themselves.
    Never had any problem with people getting high salries, they usually have to earn it, a neighbour used to claim if you meet an ass it;s a pity but to give him a bit of a ride at least..... Smith obviously met a few asses on the IFA finance commitee/exec board, more power to him.
    I use the term toes up the chimney and in relation to poeple who complain and yet would rather have their toes up the chimney at night than go to a meeting to help like minded people put forward their views....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Base price for March 24.25

Fat 3.96
    Protein 3.18
    Scc 48,000

Price received 28.229

Slightly under half was liquid milk. Manufacturing worked out at 25.119 and liquid 31.693

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mark, his strategy is delivering a fine salary, in the league of the Ornua honchos, and he has a lovely pension awaiting him.

The Board were warned, by some of their own colleagues, not to appoint him as he simply did not have the skillset required. Did they listen?

In this case, 'fool me once etc,,, fool me twice etc.'

Keep Going, I believe you are with one of the West Cork 4. Different attitude there and indeed Kerry. At least a respect for farmers. I know that doesn't put food on the table but its a very different place than the farmers of Glanbia or DG.
    Don't worry, I have done my soldering too, we all have different contributions to make. Social media is just another new tool.
    Processors have a structure and the paid staff to ensure how it runs for their benefit. Farmers are isolated and picked off individually. They in effect have no structure, As for farming orgs????
    Healy has a final shot at proving they have a role or any significance. The wind is at his back and people willing to be led.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dawggone wrote: »
    Average lactation length in France is 2.4. lactations...

My cost for producing replacements (walk into parlor for first milking) is just over €1500/hd. If you include wastage for sprinters that walk into parlor for 2nd lactation, first milking, then cost goes to €1720/hd.
    I can buy fresh calved springers for €700...

Beef bulls here, resting atm. Real work later...just keeping it simple.

The hassle of breeding. Tail painting. Recording heats. Etc etc etc.
    keeping it simple.

Breeding stock are directly related to milk price and to a certain extent, beef price.
    We think alike! If milk price rises so do replacements. How bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We think alike! If milk price rises so do replacements. How bad?

Exactly.
    Be ahead of the curve...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Exactly.
    Be ahead of the curve...

Does that strategy includes buying maidens in a weak market in anticipation of rising prices by time of calving down. ?

Does that strategy includes buying maidens in a weak market in anticipation of rising prices by time of calving down. ?

Definite Yes.

The trick is knowing when...

Maybe we could pool our dairy replacement money together and get Kowtow to manage the fund, for a small fee of course...1/2 mill..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Definite Yes.

The trick is knowing when...

Maybe we could pool our dairy replacement money together and get Kowtow to manage the fund, for a small fee of course...1/2 mill..:)
    Not sure if that's what kev wants to streamline his system .
    What amount would he have purchased calves/maids contract reared for?
    Ped. Calves for 150 and maid's for 500 at a local sale recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Dawggone wrote:
    Maybe we could pool our dairy replacement money together and get Kowtow to manage the fund, for a small fee of course...1/2 mill..

... you know what they say. A fair days pay for a fair days work..

Dawggone wrote:
    Maybe we could pool our dairy replacement money together and get Kowtow to manage the fund, for a small fee of course...1/2 mill..

• Advertisement

kowtow wrote: »

Lol.
    You hum it and I'll sing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Out on Brussels for a few days, Ifa out here too joe is getting straight into it in fairness to him, looks like mercurous trade deal will sail through Spain n Portugal pushing for it as they have strong ties to South America, worry for us if Germany n France backing it and will look for them to return the favour of milk markets don't correct themselves on next 12months thank fully they are slow to implement change due to structure, if Britain exit were on our own against the big players on eu and sfp will be cut across the board so interesting year ahead, countries we are targeting for export are mainly developing countries with big populations but low disposable incomes hard to see great returns for suppliers in medium out look unless our processors change focus, our processors are well positioned due to investment from us, pity we ploughed our money into stainless steel for processors instead of letting the management teams raise the finance and making them work instead of giving them the soft option of using coop money, what is the return on capital employed in each of our processors on latest investments??? we don't want to flood eu markets due to bloody politics even thou they provide us wit better returns, Irish beef commanding top price in any Restraunt I've been in so far no sign of our dairy just this tasteless French butter and Uth milk(no offence dwag), think if we're looking at the possibility of quotas we need to start targeting the eu market place not Africa n Asia we were best boys in class in banking crisis we don't need to be that during dairy crisis its survival of the fittest and we need ever cent we can get from where ever we can, China playing a good game in both dairy n steel, stock piled both and pulled the plug n just sit back and watch how the eu politicians run around in circles capitalism has now replaced communism there. As I said here before we over supplied for past 10 years so we are used to current milk price, no flying herd here 60maidens and 60calves on the ground, we were going ahead wit capital program later this year we postponed last year, happy to keep in herd if market is down, will not give them away, but my visit out here has me questioning the investment Dnt realise the lobbying and political intervention and the power of the bigger nations have on our industry Im a bit confused wit Glanbia model how is CEO of Plc also ceo of coop when did this happen and how and why, can power be abused in this position, she is hardly ceo of any of the investment funds that hav come on board as well???nobody I asked could explain finding our coop structure frustrating

Out on Brussels for a few days, Ifa out here too joe is getting straight into it in fairness to him, looks like mercurous trade deal will sail through Spain n Portugal pushing for it as they have strong ties to South America, worry for us if Germany n France backing it and will look for them to return the favour of milk markets don't correct themselves on next 12months thank fully they are slow to implement change due to structure, if Britain exit were on our own against the big players on eu and sfp will be cut across the board so interesting year ahead, countries we are targeting for export are mainly developing countries with big populations but low disposable incomes hard to see great returns for suppliers in medium out look unless our processors change focus, our processors are well positioned due to investment from us, pity we ploughed our money into stainless steel for processors instead of letting the management teams raise the finance and making them work instead of giving them the soft option of using coop money, what is the return on capital employed in each of our processors on latest investments??? we don't want to flood eu markets due to bloody politics even thou they provide us wit better returns, Irish beef commanding top price in any Restraunt I've been in so far no sign of our dairy just this tasteless French butter and Uth milk(no offence dwag), think if we're looking at the possibility of quotas we need to start targeting the eu market place not Africa n Asia we were best boys in class in banking crisis we don't need to be that during dairy crisis its survival of the fittest and we need ever cent we can get from where ever we can, China playing a good game in both dairy n steel, stock piled both and pulled the plug n just sit back and watch how the eu politicians run around in circles capitalism has now replaced communism there. As I said here before we over supplied for past 10 years so we are used to current milk price, no flying herd here 60maidens and 60calves on the ground, we were going ahead wit capital program later this year we postponed last year, happy to keep in herd if market is down, will not give them away, but my visit out here has me questioning the investment Dnt realise the lobbying and political intervention and the power of the bigger nations have on our industry Im a bit confused wit Glanbia model how is CEO of Plc also ceo of coop when did this happen and how and why, can power be abused in this position, she is hardly ceo of any of the investment funds that hav come on board as well???nobody I asked could explain finding our coop structure frustrating

:). No offense taken Mist.

I agree that the big players have a lot of clout.
    Exciting times ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

:). No offense taken Mist.

I agree that the big players have a lot of clout.
    Exciting times ahead...

Never waste a crisis.

Never waste a crisis.

True. But the feckin politicians always stick their noses in.

Ag has never, and will never be, a level playing pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

True. But the feckin politicians always stick their noses in.

Ag has never, and will never be, a level playing pitch.

Ah but you know better than most, its when the status quo is being changed by the politicians, its the easiest time to make money - if you know which side the coin will drop.
    In the 80's paid to get out of dairying one year and paid to get back into it a few years after. Quota - a free asset. SFP, etc.... everytime the politicians stirred the barrel of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Water John wrote: »
    Mark, his strategy is delivering a fine salary, in the league of the Ornua honchos, and he has a lovely pension awaiting him.

The Board were warned, by some of their own colleagues, not to appoint him as he simply did not have the skillset required. Did they listen?

Keep Going, I believe you are with one of the West Cork 4. Different attitude there and indeed Kerry. At least a respect for farmers. I know that doesn't put food on the table but its a very different place than the farmers of Glanbia or DG.
    Don't worry, I have done my soldering too, we all have different contributions to make. Social media is just another new tool.
    Processors have a structure and the paid staff to ensure how it runs for their benefit. Farmers are isolated and picked off individually. They in effect have no structure, As for farming orgs????
    Healy has a final shot at proving they have a role or any significance. The wind is at his back and people willing to be led.
    nothing stopping anyone organising them selves.for example if i wanted to raise an issue at the agm,id form a little backroom team with a geographical spread over the area who feel the same about the issue.next roughly 10 days before agm we d start putting the story out in our respective areas about the issue lacing it with something a little controversal,using mainly the milk or ration lorry drivers or contractors but the real jewell-ai men always active in yards at agm time.hopefully it would get into a few marts to get the story moving but not enough time for management to prepare.next up on the night pick one man to raise the issue and throw alot of facts and figures into the early part of the question but draw out the end of the question.the next speaker listens to the management reply for any figures not mentioned and throws that back in the next question-gives the impression he s hiding something.after that let a few others speak but then get someone to do a final big question to drive it home .important to pick smaller to medium sized farmers(nobody trusts big farmers)to do the talking and not people how spout at every agm.the whole point of putting the story out
    early is farmers are hearing it first from lads they know and may trust and if you can get it through a mart there will be a good few legs add to it.lads will have their back up a little and will make a point of going to the agm wanting to find out more.next they hear a guy who seems to know what hes talking about and the management appearing coy with the facts.should set up a nice tense atmosphere for the management to wade through.if fellas only hear about it on the night they are unsure whether to support or not but by now they are well cross about it .all meetings get a little stage managing so you might as well do some of your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

keep going wrote: »
    nothing stopping anyone organising the selves.for example if i wanted to raise an issue at the agm,id form a little backroom team with a geographical spread over the area who feel the same about the issue.next roughly 10 days before agm we d start putting the story out in our respective areas about the issue lacing it with something a little controversal,using mainly the milk or ration lorry drivers or contractors but the real jewell-ai men always active in yards at agm time.hopefully it would get into a few marts to get the story moving but not enough time for management to prepare.next up on the night pick one man to raise the issue and throw alot of facts and figures into the early part of the question but draw out the end of the question.the next speaker listens to the management reply for any figures not mentioned and throws that back in the next question-gives the impression he s hiding something.after that let a few others speak but then get someone to do a final big question to drive it home .important to pick smaller to medium sized farmers(nobody trusts big farmers)to do the talking and not people how spout at every agm.the whole point of putting the story out
    early is farmers are hearing it first from lads they know and may trust and if you can get it through a mart there will be a good few legs add to it.lads will have their back up a little and will make a point of going to the agm wanting to find out more.next they hear a guy who seems to know what hes talking about and the management appearing coy with the facts.should set up a nice tense atmosphere for the management to wade through.if fellas only hear about it on the night they are unsure whether to support or not but by now they are well cross about it .all meetings get a little stage managing so you might as well do some of your own

Have you been reading the report from the pr awards people how they won the award for getting people to vote for reox? It would share a lot of the ideas in your post

Atlantic mist great post. Forget the farming. There's a farm organisation here that is looking for a Ceo. I recon your ability to grasp what is going on in Brussels should qualify you for the job

Brian barry would've had last weeks timetable laid out, no matter who was president, bit early yet to be patting his back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Have you been reading the report from the pr awards people how they won the award for getting people to vote for reox? It would share a lot of the ideas in your post

Atlantic mist great post. Forget the farming. There's a farm organisation here that is looking for a Ceo. I recon your ability to grasp what is going on in Brussels should qualify you for the job

Glanbia shareholders not allowed to meet without management staff there to mind them

milkprofit wrote: »
    Glanbia shareholders not allowed to meet without management staff there to mind them

A lot of the stuff going on is an insult to democracy. It will take real leadership to change things. People can be as critical as they like of anyone who names it and shames it. But at lest surely it is better than burying our heads in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

nothing stopping anyone organising them selves.for example if i wanted to raise an issue at the agm,id form a little backroom team with a geographical spread over the area who feel the same about the issue.next roughly 10 days before agm we d start putting the story out in our respective areas about the issue lacing it with something a little controversal,using mainly the milk or ration lorry drivers or contractors but the real jewell-ai men always active in yards at agm time.hopefully it would get into a few marts to get the story moving but not enough time for management to prepare.next up on the night pick one man to raise the issue and throw alot of facts and figures into the early part of the question but draw out the end of the question.the next speaker listens to the management reply for any figures not mentioned and throws that back in the next question-gives the impression he s hiding something.after that let a few others speak but then get someone to do a final big question to drive it home .important to pick smaller to medium sized farmers(nobody trusts big farmers)to do the talking and not people how spout at every agm.the whole point of putting the story out

In theory what you propose seems ok. However in general I find that administrators generally deal well with such senario's. 10 days to us may seem as only a short time for an administrator to react. However getting the word out as you put it would be much harder. Trying to get lads to meetings is even harder. The other issue is dry shareholders will in general side with management/board.

The only way you can seriously change such an organisation is to really change elected officers/board. Look at the recent IFA election how many officers have changed and how many are really new faces. It si the same with co-op's it would take 2-3 elections to change a board, by that time new faces are intitutionalised.

Slava Ukrainii

In theory what you propose seems ok. However in general I find that administrators generally deal well with such senario's. 10 days to us may seem as only a short time for an administrator to react. However getting the word out as you put it would be much harder. Trying to get lads to meetings is even harder. The other issue is dry shareholders will in general side with management/board.

The only way you can seriously change such an organisation is to really change elected officers/board. Look at the recent IFA election how many officers have changed and how many are really new faces. It si the same with co-op's it would take 2-3 elections to change a board, by that time new faces are intitutionalised.

Agreed. If you are to take the reox feasco as an example. Managment had 125 k of a budget to spend on paying pr consultants to sway shareholder opinion. Realistically that is what you are up against. If we really want change we need a different approach. Fist thing we need to do is to stop listening to spin without questioning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Do you really think we are going to see major changes in how the ifa operates, I have my doubts but we ll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'd say keep an eye on the farming press for the next little while:D

But it did give me a good laugh this morning:)

• Advertisement

Do you really think we are going to see major changes in how the ifa operates, I have my doubts but we ll see.

No I do not the permanent civil service are still there it is very hard to change such organisations. Most new faces are old faces. TBH I do not think Healy is the one to watch it may be Kennedy is the fella to shake it up but not sure. Co-op's are the same you will only be lucky once the next meeting management will have all there ducks in place

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Buford, I am aware of the rumblings down Kerry way. I would have been also talking about an individual interactive basis. Farmer with coop reps and management.
    As a former Kerry supplier said one day as he heard the interaction between a DG supplier and a coop rep. 'If a Kerry rep treated a farmer in that manner he would be fired in the morning'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Its immoral that farmers who do 90% of the work producing milk at a loss for others and those others go on to make a indecent profit from it

Its immoral that farmers who do 90% of the work producing milk at a loss for others and those others go on to make a decent profit from it

I'd say 9 million between 9 people is mote than a decent profit

If people want change, as I've said many times before, they have to get their finger out and get into a position to change, IF I was still there, i would still carry on as i always did as I always worked for farmers and I'd imagine most there are the same. 25% of the nat exec changes every year and a lot are like me, just sail in uncontested so the opportunties for change of personnel are always there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I'd say 9 million between 9 people is mote than a decent profit

Agreed,its indecent,can you edit the post

I am referring to the co op's giil etc too

What happened in Arrabawn last year, a group of farmers talked with their feet up and left, although unlikely with glanbia/DO msa have them tied down. It kept them on their toes with some changes like the collection levy scrap. Basically the only way top brass will listen if the msa is challenged through a large group of farmers, also boycott of feeds/fertilliser and even protests at certain co ops sorry processors (no one likes bad media). These processors are acting like vultures not co ops, but the right support/action can make some difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

What happened in Arrabawn last year, a group of farmers talked with their feet up and left, although unlikely with glanbia/DO msa have them tied down. It kept them on their toes with some changes like the collection levy scrap. Basically the only way top brass will listen if the msa is challenged through a large group of farmers, also boycott of feeds/fertilliser and even protests at certain co ops sorry processors (no one likes bad media). These processors are acting like vultures not co ops, but the right support/action can make some difference.

Did arrabawn not pay a lower average milk price for a number of years on the back of investing themselves?. With that done now they are paying a better price? Maybe mj or some one could correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I think Kev you have hit the nail on the head. My own opinion was that MSA's are on very doubtful ground legally. A MSA means that you have to supply a product to an end user with out ever knowing the price before you deliver it. Also forcing suppliers to give long notice periods is questionable. The cost of such a challenge need not be huge. In reality most MSA are the same from each co-op/processor. 5K framers putting up 1K each would more than cover the cost and it is tax deductable.

As well boycotting feed and fertlizer sales would hurt them especially if targeted at 1-2 co-op's.

Slava Ukrainii

Milked out wrote: »
    Did arrabawn not pay a lower average milk price for a number of years on the back of investing themselves?. With that done now they are paying a better price? Maybe mj or some one could correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Edit to ask kev are u arrabawn or glanbia? U may know the answer to the above question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yes they did ,here's a stat for the 10 years previous to last year a 350 k ltr dairygold supplier would of ended up 70 k better off than the ewuivelant Arrabawn supplier over the same time with the same supply .a staggering figure .kevs point above and one which I've made is 100% on the money .atrabawn had a poor history on milk price to its suppliers hence the threat and carry out of last years musical chairs .real action with real results .the ceo ,board and organisation got the boot in the ass it so badly needed ..our books are now good ,debt levels low and a profit was made even last year when price was supported for most of year (to what level I do t know but will ask at upcoming agm .
    Massive money has been invested in our processing side (gas ,bottling and dryers )as well as lab sewage plant etc .we now pocess a state of the art lean and mean plant with lots of spare capacity for now .we are currently processing milk for Lakeland and lacpstrick .and our share up and Msa are absolutely in no way penal in comparasion to our rivals .

+1000000 Kev

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yes they did ,here's a stat for the 10 years previous to last year a 350 k ltr dairygold supplier would of ended up 70 k better off than the ewuivelant Arrabawn supplier over the same time with the same supply .a staggering figure .kevs point above and one which I've made is 100% on the money .atrabawn had a poor history on milk price to its suppliers hence the threat and carry out of last years musical chairs .real action with real results .the ceo ,board and organisation got the boot in the ass it so badly needed ..our books are now good ,debt levels low and a profit was made even last year when price was supported for most of year (to what level I do t know but will ask at upcoming agm .
    Massive money has been invested in our processing side (gas ,bottling and dryers )as well as lab sewage plant etc .we now pocess a state of the art lean and mean plant with lots of spare capacity for now .we are currently processing milk for Lakeland and lacpstrick .and our share up and Msa are absolutely in no way penal in comparasion to our rivals .

Would that investment have been possible if in to those 10 years the milk price would have been higher?

Would that investment have been possible if in to those 10 years the milk price would have been higher?

Imo yes ,we would probably of needed to borrow more though .a lot of last years investement was done outvof cash flow and share up requirement ..money was going to have to be spent either way for post quota .

Edit to ask kev are u arrabawn or glanbia? U may know the answer to the above question
    Arrabawn, was scouted last year but of the opinion stay with a cooperative as not as many top brass to steal the jewels.. also share up seemed expensive. they did us a favour the guys leaving and wer reaping the improvements for how long is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Milk supply agreement have reduced the power of the suppliers and these were backed by our coops while in theory it was suppose to make our business stronger but it actually makes us weaker throu a lack of competition and in ability of managers to drop price at easy as No one can leave its a touch of communism creating into our coops, as my old boss used to say contracts are worth about as much as the paper they are written on and he was a solicitor, our courts are based on both law and ethics the clause for family members having to continue supply is not reasonable and couldn't hold up in court so I wouldn't b one bit worried about leaving gii if I can get a better price else where. Waiting for opportunity to hav our CEO on his own without Plc ceo there to talk for him, I'm actually more qualified for his job than he is and he is very hot headed can't for the life of me understand how he got the job imagine him meeting our buyers and getting as hot headed as he did on dungarvan no wonder we have the lowest base price on country I'd knock money off also the arrogance penalty I'd call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Top thread here atm.
    Here's an article I read a few days ago about Fonterra suppliers.
    It kinda has similarities with this country and the importance of processor competition.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11624179

Milk supply agreement have reduced the power of the suppliers and these were backed by our coops while in theory it was suppose to make our business stronger but it actually makes us weaker throu a lack of competition and in ability of managers to drop price at easy as No one can leave its a touch of communism creating into our coops, as my old boss used to say contracts are worth about as much as the paper they are written on and he was a solicitor, our courts are based on both law and ethics the clause for family members having to continue supply is not reasonable and couldn't hold up in court so I wouldn't b one bit worried about leaving gii if I can get a better price else where. Waiting for opportunity to hav our CEO on his own without Plc ceo there to talk for him, I'm actually more qualified for his job than he is and he is very hot headed can't for the life of me understand how he got the job imagine him meeting our buyers and getting as hot headed as he did on dungarvan no wonder we have the lowest base price on country I'd knock money off also the arrogance penalty I'd call it

Top post contracts are just an attempt to enslave us. And as for Co Op managers having the qualifications to run a business? A lot of them are just Dairy scientists. Totally different skill set to running a business! How they can justify their salaries? God only knows?

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Top thread here atm.
    Here's an article I read a few days ago about Fonterra suppliers.
    It kinda has similarities with this country and the importance of processor competition.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11624179

We need to be very careful what we wish for in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Think I'm suffering from depression today...I have a French student that tells me her uncle delivers milk for compte cheese and gets 53c a litre!!. And I thought Dawg had it good :)

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Think I'm suffering from depression today...I have a French student that tells me her uncle delivers milk for compte cheese and gets 53c a litre!!. And I thought Dawg had it good :)

Don't get depressed. Its a great example of a success story. There are more ways of making money out of milk than turning it in to powder and selling it in to intervention. Just some of our highly paid geniuses seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to diversification. I suppose why wouldn't they if they can get highly paid for the job they are currently doing.

I think Kev you have hit the nail on the head. My own opinion was that MSA's are on very doubtful ground legally. A MSA means that you have to supply a product to an end user with out ever knowing the price before you deliver it. Also forcing suppliers to give long notice periods is questionable. The cost of such a challenge need not be huge. In reality most MSA are the same from each co-op/processor. 5K framers putting up 1K each would more than cover the cost and it is tax deductable.

I wonder if it would be possible to seek a judicial review of the decision by coops not to take each others members where an msa was in force.

kowtow wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to seek a judicial review of the decision by coops not to take each others members where an msa was in force.

Is a judicial review even possible or are Co Op members bound to have all disputes with their CoOp resolved by arbitration? The fact is there is very little Co Op case law as no one has ever been able to take their Co Op to court. Something that badly needs to be changed as IMO farmers are being deprived of their constitutional right to justice and the protection of the courts.

Unless people who have been expelled from CoOps could be free to take a case?
    They may have shot themselves in the foot there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Is a judicial review even possible or are Co Op members bound to have all disputes with their CoOp resolved by arbitration? The fact is there is very little Co Op case law as no one has ever been able to take their Co Op to court. Something that badly needs to be changed as IMO farmers are being deprived of their constitutional right to justice and the protection of the courts.

Unless people who have been expelled from CoOps could be free to take a case?
    They may have shot themselves in the foot there.

My msa is not with a co-op. They may have been a bit too sharp for their own good here. You signed with the company which is how they got away with different prices for those with the contract signed and those without. Co-op case law doesn't come into it. I got my solicitor to look at. Farmers son, didn't need things explained to him, he reckoned the contract was big roll. Told me to sign away as I wouldn't get the extra payments without it and there was no short term prospect of an alternative purchaser showing up.

• Advertisement

My msa is not with a co-op. They may have been a bit too sharp for their own good here. You signed with the company which is how they got away with different prices for those with the contract signed and those without. Co-op case law doesn't come into it. I got my solicitor to look at. Farmers son, didn't need things explained to him, he reckoned the contract was big roll. Told me to sign away as I wouldn't get the extra payments without it and there was no short term prospect of an alternative purchaser showing up.

That was the first bit of bad advice he gave you as no sooner had you signed, than Arrabawn show up.

Interesting about the contract being with the company rather than the Co Op.
    Do you think it is possible to have it tested in the courts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement