Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Mairead lavery was on newstalk yesterday talking about how board members cost 4euro per cow in nz, 6 in Holland and I think 12 here.
    She said there's too many boards and processors in this country and something needs to be done. It's costing the farmer too much. She said more to follow in the paper today.

Ah you can just expect a "when I grow up I want to be like Nz article so"

Maybe a few quangos should be scrapped first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mairead lavery was on newstalk yesterday talking about how board members cost 4euro per cow in nz, 6 in Holland and I think 12 here.
    She said there's too many boards and processors in this country and something needs to be done. It's costing the farmer too much. She said more to follow in the paper today.
    Have the journal here, Glanbia board members get 85,000. Corbally got 188k in 2015. The 2 vice chairs Keane and Murphy get some thing in between-big fecking difference between 85 and 188k- last year Herlihy got 105k. The 2 vice chairs got half that 52.5k. The other 11 board members getting 35k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

whelan2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't rate Glanbia as being the most efficient by a long shot. Too much money going to the wrong people and people too comfortable in their positions to make any difference
    They run a tight ship. If you talk to anyone lower down they'll tell you how tough they are. It's management and board members that get the big bucks. They do make the most money of any processor in this country using their scale and suppliers.
    I said it before if you are getting well paid on the board you're not going to bite the hand that feeds you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The only thing that will happen if certain processors joined up is the likes of talbot/bergin and co will double/treble their wages and as sure as night follows day the boards will too..
    When we look at what higher public servants, and what the likes of pat Smith was pocketing from the ifa theirs ridiculous wage packets been payed out to the men in suits and it's endemic, but the crush point is probably not 1% of these guys are worth/contribute to the business what they are being paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

I thought she said 25 euro a cow here even though holland and NZ fire out far more milk. That's paddy land for you. Not giving out about the farming slot you mentioned but I remember her last year marking the end of quotas and how dairy farmers were going to clean up. Referencing 'white gold ' a few times. You know the way if people here something on the radio it must be true

visatorro wrote: »
    I thought she said 25 euro a cow here even though holland and NZ fire out far more milk. That's paddy land for you. Not giving out about the farming slot you mentioned but I remember her last year marking the end of quotas and how dairy farmers were going to clean up. Referencing 'white gold ' a few times. You know the way if people here something on the radio it must be true

Mayne a detailed study as to why the largest co ops always seem to be the ones paying the poorest price for milk, might be an interesting article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

jaymla627 wrote:
    Could crypto be at play to happened us before where I had calves get both and it usually ment death within 24 hours.... Got a bad outbreak of rota in march lost no calves but had to live with them for a week, put all calves on once a day feeding and feed electrolytes as evening feeds to everything even if no clinical signs on top of bad cases getting effdrayl during the day ..... Since then all calves stay on vaccinated milk for 7 weeks, with fully vaccinated milk feed for 3 weeks and then a litre mixed in with powder from then on, and have had no cases since, could myco-plasma be a issue worked on a farm that suffered serious losses in young calves with it, but it was hitting newborn calves

jaymla627 wrote:
    The only thing that will happen if certain processors joined up is the likes of talbot/bergin and co will double/treble their wages and as sure as night follows day the boards will too.. When we look at what higher public servants, and what the likes of pat Smith was pocketing from the ifa theirs ridiculous wage packets been payed out to the men in suits and it's endemic, but the crush point is probably not 1% of these guys are worth/contribute to the business what they are being paid

+1000

Its easy to make a business case for Merging processors but doing so now, in this country, would be a toxic move which might seal the fate of Irish dairy forever.

The only unique selling point Ireland has its it's family size grass farms. Compared to a range land country like NZ these are a rich historical story and represent generations of authenticity. We grow grass beautifully, but the secret of Irish farms is that for hundreds of years cattle have walked up the same ditches and lanes, usually in front of generations of the same family. Believe it or not in this social media food aware age that tapestry may well be real gold, if only we had the patience to let it develop through products which do it justice.

We must find a way to leverage this and we must find it from the farms and the smallest coops upwards.

Selling out Irish family farming to a Fonterra model single processor in the misguided pursuit of cost efficiency would be an outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The glanbia co op special dividend is in my account this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

ozil10 wrote: »
    29 cent plus top up If you are member of Glanbia coop society and runs from April 2016 to Dec 2018 ( 2 years 9 months) but the milk volume you applied for will be doubled from July 2017 to Dec 2018
    Correct me if I'm wrong on any point
    i have this theory that you should only sign up for fixed price contract that is offering less than you are getting at that time and avoid contracts that offering more.dosent make sence but it does.i see this as a positive developement but only time will tell.any other crowds offering contract in that time frame

• Advertisement

29c isn't much of an incentive at 4c above the cost of production
    Its minimum wage territory for say a 100 cows in what is a 7 day 100hrs+ week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very small turnout at Dairygold Agm today.
    Farmer apathy I would suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Farmer Ed wrote:
    Very small turnout at Dairygold Agm today. Farmer apathy I would suspect

Unfortunately I couldn't make it you might keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ozil10 wrote: »
    29 cent plus top up If you are member of Glanbia coop society and runs from April 2016 to Dec 2018 ( 2 years 9 months) but the milk volume you applied for will be doubled from July 2017 to Dec 2018
    Correct me if I'm wrong on any point

Am I reading this right if you get 5K/year Litres at 29c/L you have to supply 10K litres at 29c/L/year pro rata from July17-dec 2018.

If i I am reading it right it is taking the piss

Slava Ukrainii

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I couldn't make it you might keep us updated.

O.Gowrmans will earn their keep today trying to make the photos look like there is a crowd. Apoximitly 130. Take away managment and board and board wannabees. Not a lot of average Joe farmers. Pretty poor show for a co op claiming to have 9000 members. You are looking at something like less than 1% turn out. Then again I always suspected that some of those alleged 9000 members might not even be still alive. I wouldn't say the Register would not be the most up to date. Only way to get removed is to supply milk to another co op. in the eyes of the company secretary. A fate worse than death.

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    O.Gowrmans will earn their keep today trying to make the photos look like there is a crowd. Apoximitly 130. Take away managment and board and board wannabees. Not a lot of average Joe farmers. Pretty poor show for a co op claiming to have 9000 members. You are looking at something like less than 1% turn out. Then again I always suspected that some of those alleged 9000 members might not even be still alive. I wouldn't say the Register would not be the most up to date. Only way to get removed is to supply milk to another co op. in the eyes of the company secretary. A fate worse than death.
    are you there!!!!!!!!!!

keep going wrote: »
    are you there!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the guy with the beard, dark glasses and wearing a trench coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'm the guy with the beard, dark glasses and wearing a trench coat

have you a tommy gun under the trench coat

Slava Ukrainii

22c projected average milk price for 2016 and 25m capital spend this year. 100 m due to be repaid to the banks before the end of 2017. Borrowings to rise to 200m mid season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

22c projected average milk price for 2016

Use the phuckin' Tommy gun NOW!!

• Advertisement

22c projected average milk price for 2016 and 25m capital spend this year. 100 m due to be repaid to the banks before the end of 2017. Borrowings to rise to 200m mid season.

you need help

keep going wrote: »
    you need help

I think anyone supplying them might need financial help. 70 per cent of the extra production gone into powder. 50 m of last year's capital investment came from cash flow. Looks like the well is running dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Pretty sh$t figures, why the high repayments?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Pretty sh$t figures, why the high repayments?

Don't worry they say their talking to the banks and there's no problem.

Must keep my wits about me here or I could get hit by a flying pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

I think anyone supplying them might need financial help. 70 per cent of the extra production gone into powder. 50 m of last year's capital investment came from cash flow. Looks like the well is running dry.

i been hearding glanbia are soon ready to pounce on dairygold to buy ye out within 12 months to 18 months , was told this by a board member of glanbia a couple of weeks ago . ye will be rightly screwed if true .

Drown them in milk powder!

i been hearding glanbia are soon ready to pounce on dairygold to buy ye out within 12 months to 18 months , was told this by a board member of glanbia a couple of weeks ago . ye will be rightly screwed if true .

I reported it here six months ago that they are dating. Was dismissed as a conspiracy theory at the time.Not so sure now that the Glanbia shareholders will approve of the marriage. Interesting times

No I have a bucket. I'm a pacifist with a weak bladder. Just as well I suppose all things considered.

I reported it here six months ago that they are dating. Was dismissed as a conspiracy theory at the time.Not so sure now that the Glanbia shareholders will approve of the marriage. Interesting times

simple the way your crowd have run things they will pick up your coop for very little thats the way the glanbia plc machine does its work . how the hell has dairygold been let to run it self into the ground like this .

simple the way your crowd have run things they will pick up your coop for very little thats the way the glanbia plc machine does its work . how the hell has dairygold been let to run it self into the ground like this .

Simple answer and not a popular one. If you trow enough money at pr you can make yourself look really good even if your doing a crap job.

Yet again farmers have been sold a pup.

• Advertisement

Simple answer and not a popular one. If you trow enough money at pr you can make yourself look really good even if your doing a crap job.

Yet again farmers have been sold a pup.

den at the agm farmers dont bother turning up to voice their anger which annoys me the most , oh we are too busy to go or some other lame excuse . sorry but your coop agm is prob one of the most important meetings of the yr , by not going gives the yes men and the board members a free ride to do wat they want to the coop .

On the road.
    Headline for you, Jim Woulfe accuses IFJ and George Lee of tabloid journalism in relation to Ornua salaries.

€430k given to Deloite for advice about 2020 expansion. €15k for advice on mergers and take overs. Whops that didn't go well did it?

Jim puts up chart showing DG usually 2nd on KPMG milk price. Does not acknowledge to the farmers in front of him that it's due to the high milk solids of their herds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Simple we hired a kerry man.

DG got 185M litres of milk extra but paid out 61M less to farmers.

The chairman has said they are available if anyone comes knocking.

DG got 185M litres of milk extra but paid out 61M less to farmers.

The chairman has said they are available if anyone comes knocking.

Did they retain the same margin on the milk ?

Did they retain the same margin on the milk ?

Performance related pay was cut but basic salaries increased. So they still got the same pay. senior management taking a 10% pay cut in 2016. I don't know how could someone survive on €500 k per year. Maybe they can apply for the family income supplement or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Farmer Ed wrote:
    Don't worry they say their talking to the banks and there's no problem.

"talking to the banks" is never good unless it's telling them you'll only need the managers car parking space for ten minutes while you pop to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone got anything to report from Arrabawn agm ???.too much on here today couldn't make it

• Advertisement

Am I reading this right if you get 5K/year Litres at 29c/L you have to supply 10K litres at 29c/L/year pro rata from July17-dec 2018.

If i I am reading it right it is taking the piss
    Doubtless we'll get texts next week to say its been massively over subscribed and Mr corbollix will be lauding that as a massive vote of confidence in the farmer friendly decisions of the board...

The actual figures of course will never be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Doubtless we'll get texts next week to say its been massively over subscribed and Mr corbollix will be lauding that as a massive vote of confidence in the farmer friendly decisions of the board...

The actual figures of course will never be seen
    ha spat out my tea at that name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good report Ed. Lots of interesting bits.
    I think you are wrong on senior management taking a 10% cut. Only Jim Woulfe and the Board are taking that cut. Woulfe said there would be a 'talent drain' if they did not offer a competitive salary. LOL.

That Jim Woulfe Benevolent Fund amounts to 00.00875 cent per litre.
    If you supply 600,000 litres it amounts to €1 per week. That is what you are worth to him.

I knew there would be more sh**e at the DG AGM than in Roscrea.

There is a new 2 year agreement with Glanbia on winter milk.

Arrabawn AGM on today, planned for today this year.
    Dairygold AGM on today, planned for today this year.
    Grass and Muck on today, planned for today 2 years ago.

Not having a go but where were all the shouty angry farmers today.

Reminds me of the scene in the film Amazing Grace when William Wilberforce is trying to get the bill to abolish slavery through the House of Lords and he schedules the vote for the day when the derby is on in ascot and all the lords are at the races and the vote goes in his favour and the bill passes.

Well planned job.
    Funny because it probably is true.:o
    See yous next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you get how they think Pedigree.

Some farmers At DG AGM were worried about the 100M with a long stop date of Dec 2017. Management said, it was fine!!!.
    Like financing extra land purchase with cash flow and overdraft.
    Bank has them by the short and curlies if they wish to push.

It isn't the Board or the Management or indeed the shareholders will decide the future of DG. Its their consortium of 5 lenders.
    Will they feel more at ease with Glanbia? Its their call.

I think a lot of farmers at the AGM must have coulrophobia.

Do what they did in wexford. Run the company down for 2- 3 years.
    Then glanbia will come in and save/buy the company as there will be no alternative and have it backed by the IFA as well.
    Farmers happy, workers happy, everyone happy.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Then glanbia will come in and save/buy the company as there will be no alternative and have it backed by the IFA as well.

Only difference this time is Glanbia will probably make money out of the deal by the time all the kerry gold suppliers have "shared-up" to avail of their much lauded co-op support payments, probably have the details and all the numbers crunched already

I know some very happy farmers who moved to strathroy

Water John wrote: »
    Good report Ed. Lots of interesting bits.
    I think you are wrong on senior management taking a 10% cut. Only Jim Woulfe and the Board are taking that cut. Woulfe said there would be a 'talent drain' if they did not offer a competitive salary. LOL.

That Jim Woulfe Benevolent Fund amounts to 00.00875 cent per litre.
    If you supply 600,000 litres it amounts to €1 per week. That is what you are worth to him.

I knew there would be more sh**e at the DG AGM than in Roscrea.

There is a new 2 year agreement with Glanbia on winter milk.

That's what I get for wearing dark glasses.

I know some very happy farmers who moved to strathroy

me included . wat my elderly mother said about jim bergin and co , could not be repeated in public lol .

If glanbia take over DG I can't see any positives, next up will be arrabawn:-(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement