Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, different people are at diff phases in life and farming.
    Those there with years and an eye on the ball set themselves up. Those coming later to farming are at a serious disadvantage simply due to the accident of timing.

Some of you, in the circumstances chose to produce over quota milk. Lets be honest, the processors cheerleadered it. But sadly, the bill is with the farmer.

Exactly judge no one until first you wear his shoes.. Easy to be smug.

How do you mean?

Let's be honest there was a great living to be made from milk for anyone with a decent quota right about the time the idea of SFP was introduced. Am I right in saying in the late eighths milk was making the equivalent of 30 cent per litre.. If that price had kept pace with inflation. What price would we be looking at today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

who ranger 1 and his ifa cronnies
    Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Best thing to bail a man out is sell land to the Nra

Let's keep this on track please!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Let's be honest there was a great living to be made from milk for anyone with a decent quota right about the time the idea of SFP was introduced. Am I right in saying in the late eighths milk was making the equivalent of 30 cent per litre.. If that price had kept pace with inflation. What price would we be looking at today?

You could buy land at £1000/acre or 1200 gal cow would gross more than the price of an acre of land and no one was allowed to get into dairying.......they expanded into everything with their new wealth.....some joke.
    A dairy writer in the indo decide to get into sheep.!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    No one. And no one owes you a living either remember that.
    It's not my fault if farmers go to agm's and start marching.
    That's their business and the tillage farmers should be as well and I would support them as well.

I'm very much aware, but we're unlike 99% of farms as all owned and big boss had money to pump in to turn farm from a shambles to on road to where should have been.
    Iirc originally from not far from you, a little west along blackstairs. My uncle's small tillage farm is a hobby now and not much hope of ever expanding due to empire builders and as many farmer Bob's wanting to splash cash ruining it for everyone as their own calculator is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

kowtow wrote: »
    If you had a decent open auction I don't see why Larry would succeed where the corner brothers failed.
    as i have said before milk processing in ireland is high capital-low margin business not the type of business that attracts alot of investers so what you will get instead of coops is multinationals with deep pockets probaly protecting margin elsewhere in their business or "hard men"business men who can live within the margins.dont expect innovating companies rocking up with technoligy anxsious to share the fruits of it with paddy the farmer.in my view we have alot of the building blocks in place but we need to clear out the staleness that 30 years of quota have left behind.glanbia often gets hammered here but but the success it enjoyed abroad like its venture into cheese in america shows we are not far away from the front if we want to be.this dip in milk price was expected and will be a feature of the future especially in a country as export dependant as we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some processors used the quota time to up their game in products and others on the global stage.
    Problem is these ones are now moving away from concerns for their base, the Irish dairy farmer. Note Glanbia and Kerry milk price.

This is not unique, utilites with sure business and low margins using that as a launching pad.

New Zealand dairy cow numbers drop for the first time in 9 years @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-zealand-dairy-cow-numbers-drop-for-the-first-time-in-9-years/

Finally some Glimmer of hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

rangler1 wrote: »
    They must have ........did you ever try to compete with them to rent land

Overpaying for land is unlikely to be the result of having two heads, rather not having learned to use the one you were born with.

keep going wrote: »
    as i have said before milk processing in ireland is high capital-low margin business not the type of business that attracts alot of investers so what you will get instead of coops is multinationals with deep pockets probaly protecting margin elsewhere in their business or "hard men"business men who can live within the margins.dont expect innovating companies rocking up with technoligy anxsious to share the fruits of it with paddy the farmer.in my view we have alot of the building blocks in place but we need to clear out the staleness that 30 years of quota have left behind.glanbia often gets hammered here but but the success it enjoyed abroad like its venture into cheese in america shows we are not far away from the front if we want to be.this dip in milk price was expected and will be a feature of the future especially in a country as export dependant as we are

I think that's fair comment on Glanbia in terms of it's corporate performance - and innovation.

But it reads more like the words of a contented shareholder than a supplying dairy farmer, and where Glanbia is concerned those are two different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I think that's fair comment on Glanbia in terms of it's corporate performance - and innovation.

But it reads more like the words of a contented shareholder than a supplying dairy farmer, and where Glanbia is concerned those are two different things.

It's a kind of Stockholm syndrome kt.

Youre probably right,16 years observing on the inside kind of does bring home the realities.time for a change me thinks, new blood

Youre probably right,16 years observing on the inside kind of does bring home the realities.time for a change me thinks, new blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This has to be the most sureal thread on farming/boards . It's like everyone is on drugs or something. Like that film about those 2 guys stoned in Vegas, Fear And Loathing in Los Vegas, that's the one...,,,,.staring kowtow and Dawggone..

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Fear and loathing in munster. ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

It's interesting even tho off the walls and off topic, super cycles, Tommy guns, board members hair colouring!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    It's interesting even tho off the walls and off topic, super cycles, Tommy guns, board members hair colouring!

Ah what ever about anything else the knowledge that one of the dg board dyed his hair was a very important contribution and has forced me to look again at other board members to expose this scandalous behaviour which shows total disregard for farmer shareholders.it casts me in a poor light on my contributions on the dairy industry here when I should have been using my insider position to expose these cretins who dye theif hair

Hey we are not allowed discuss board members hair colouring. Unless we can quantify the cost of it in cent per litre. In fairness the Tommy gun was a bit of an exaggeration. But I suppose we should be allowed to dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

keep going wrote: »

if this "new blood" is anything like some of the absolute ****e that's being spouted in this thread then God help us

Keep the good posts coming, although it seems most are more interested in pie in the sky ideas rather than realities

• Advertisement

I'm sure it will look great regardless. If we want to make ourselvrs even more beautiful than we already are. Probably the most affordable beauty treatment at the moment would be a milk bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

just got word gii board hoping to drop milk price to 20c for june milk, cant figure that out as it is below intervention price, heard a few solicitor letter have stated for under pressure suppliers unable to pay feed bills

50% of product being sold to consumer foods and oranua, remaining 50% at these ""world prices" even though we only export to 16 countries

dont really get how our price is made up
    50% at the 28c (all fixed)
    50% at 17c "world prices"
    gives us milk price average at 20/22c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

What percentage of GII product goes to the GLANBIA plc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

just got word gii board hoping to drop milk price to 20c for june milk, cant figure that out as it is below intervention price, heard a few solicitor letter have stated for under pressure suppliers unable to pay feed bills

50% of product being sold to consumer foods and oranua, remaining 50% at these ""world prices" even though we only export to 16 countries

dont really get how our price is made up
    50% at the 28c (all fixed)
    50% at 17c "world prices"
    gives us milk price average at 20/22c

Would we be looking at say a 1 cent drop for may and then a 1 cent drop for June do you reckon, with co-op support topping it up by a cent our two, our will they drop the base price 3-4 cent
    it takes approx 7500 litres of milk to produce a ton of wmp, and then I think it costs in our around 8-10 cent a litre to process it, I think intervention price for wmp is around 2000 euro and 1670 for smp, so after processing costs a ton of wmp is worth 18-20 cent to the farmer, their taking in the world of milk from other processors into ballyragget at the minute I wonder what they are paying for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

This has to be the most sureal thread on farming/boards . It's like everyone is on drugs or something. Like that film about those 2 guys stoned in Vegas, Fear And Loathing in Los Vegas, that's the one...,,,,.staring kowtow and Dawggone..

With all due respect patsy, I've always said not to take any notice of the shyte that I post...however with respect to this thread, where everyone discusses, b*tches and moans about prices from a month ago, Kowtow tries to swing your focus to a month, year, and further ahead....That *may* be worth something

I find it more interesting than the bragging and blowing from a couple of years back...

I'm sure it will look great regardless. If we want to make ourselvrs even more beautiful than we already are. Probably the most affordable beauty treatment at the moment would be a milk bath.

How much of our milk is going into shampoo already?

Premium product, whey for cosmetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dawggone wrote: »
    With all due respect patsy, I've always said not to take any notice of the shyte that I post...however with respect to this thread, where everyone discusses, b*tches and moans about prices from a month ago, Kowtow tries to swing your focus to a month, year, and further ahead....That *may* be worth something

I find it more interesting than the bragging and blowing from a couple of years back...

Ah I wasn't haven't a go at you, just saying that the discussion seems to get a bit mad at times, going off in all sorts of tangents. Interesting all the same.;)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I hear glanbia have won the contract to supply milk to Lidl?

Ah I wasn't haven't a go at you, just saying that the discussion seems to get a bit mad at times, going off in all sorts of tangents. Interesting all the same.;)

I was thinking the same myself, but all the same it's handy to have two threads to work from - the Dairy Chit Chat (how to get milk from grass) and the Milk Price (how to get money from milk) threads...

The day we're all happy will be the day both things happen at once..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I hear glanbia have won the contract to supply milk to Lidl?

Who had it before? My dad said there's an interesting article in the business part of the Sunday independent on the dairy industry maybe someone could link it please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Lol.
    I didn't like 'Fear and loathing...'

More of a 'Cheech and Chong' generation...and 'Yellow Submarine' with those Blue Meenies....fecked me up real good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

You'd miss greengrass. Maybe he'll come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Who had it before? My dad said there's an interesting article in the business part of the Sunday independent on the dairy industry maybe someone could link it please
    This one?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/milk-price-crash-can-only-signal-an-increase-in-tempo-for-the-slow-dance-of-dairy-processing-marriages-34714552.html

They had it fairly well hidden.

Edit. How was the communion, good day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mf240 wrote: »
    You'd miss greengrass. Maybe he'll come back.

Ya'll find him in twitterland or Facebook.

Had a great day yesterday, milking was bad this morning, Young lad said it was the best day ever, just back from nephews communion now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ya'll find him in twitterland or Facebook.

Tried twitter . can't figure it out .

Might as well be looking into a field of thistles ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Give it a while. You can't follow conversations like on here but you can follow a few having the conversation and click into the conversation from their tweets, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'd say most of the regular F&F posters are on there at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

whelan2 wrote: »

Strathroy

They lost tesco to Arrabawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Give it a while. You can't follow conversations like on here but you can follow a few having the conversation and click into the conversation from their tweets, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'd say most of the regular F&F posters are on there at this stage.

Hmm haven't you sussed out yet :p Boards is largely limited to Irish only, you get opinions from quite a few of the UK and NZ grass based dairyfarmers which is good.

Bit beyond me twitter

That article is a bit generalised. Made for general public consumption.
    Don't see Arrabwan being susumed by DG anytime soon.
    Arrabawn, Carbery and Lakeland could do link ups and not thread on each others toes. good cooperation already between Lakeland and Arrabawn.

Glanbia and DG mostly likely to work closely/merge/TO.

Why? He may be right in his last line.
    'With farmers, farm organisations and banks all likely to pile on the pressure, dairy consolidation is only getting started'.
    The most important word there is 'banks'.
    As I wrote about the DG AGM, the banks will dictate what happens to DG.

BTW nobody has joined the logical dots to explain how Fonterra, controlling 95% of the NZ market have been very beneficial for the NZ farmer!!!
    Surely they have the best price???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Water John wrote: »
    That article is a bit generalised. Made for general public consumption.
    Don't see Arrabwan being susumed by DG anytime soon.
    Arrabawn, Carbery and Lakeland could do link ups and not thread on each others toes. good cooperation already between Lakeland and Arrabawn.

Glanbia and DG mostly likely to work closely/merge/TO.

Why? He may be right in his last line.
    'With farmers, farm organisations and banks all likely to pile on the pressure, dairy consolidation is only getting started'.
    The most important word there is 'banks'.
    As I wrote about the DG AGM, the banks will dictate what happens to DG.

BTW nobody has joined the logical dots to explain how Fonterra, controlling 95% of the NZ market have been very beneficial for the NZ farmer!!!
    Surely they have the best price???
    I'd like to see Arrabawn merge with either tipp co op or centenary Walter, personally thing five or six co ops would be sufficient in terms of scale and competition. Haven heard about Dairygold/glanbia merger yet. Dairygold s offer for Arrabawn last year was insulting imo

The offer wasn't a Take Over it was to be a Take Out.

DG could not buy sh**e at this point. Borrowing peaking to €200M ATM.
    Need to fund another €25M infrastructure next year!!!

You could be right on the other mergers.
    I would not see anything wrong with about 6 in total myself.
    Once the mergers were on a white knight basis and fair with each bringing something to the table and synergies being worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I'd like to see Arrabawn merge with either tipp co op or centenary Walter, personally thing five or six co ops would be sufficient in terms of scale and competition. Haven heard about Dairygold/glanbia merger yet. Dairygold s offer for Arrabawn last year was insulting imo

Wasn't insulting ,was a poor offer but itvwas just an initial offer .they were never going to play trump card first same thing would of happend if roles reversed ..nothing to be gained by merging with tipp or centenary .geographicaly it makes sense alright

Not much good keeping your bid low, especially when it is not within the tent of trust and respect. It then looks as an insult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Everybody seems to think that Dairygold is a Glanbia target. The one I watch is Kerry. Hard to see them leave a milk pool like that slip away from them. Remember Golden vale they slipped in with an offer that shareholders (mostly farmers) could not refuse. It seem an expensive purchase at the time. Denis Brosnan explained that a farmer is always willing to go the extra mile for the neighbours land next door. Do not see Glanbia getting DG cheap not with a covetous Kerry next door.

Slava Ukrainii

Not sure is extra milk pool of interest to the Kerry of today.
    Golden Vale TO was personal for Denis Brosnan.
    The big advantage would be getting a lot of plant at a knock down price if that is what they wanted.
    What is hard to explain is Kerry suppliers in revolt and DG suppliers cowed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Everybody seems to think that Dairygold is a Glanbia target. The one I watch is Kerry. Hard to see them leave a milk pool like that slip away from them. Remember Golden vale they slipped in with an offer that shareholders (mostly farmers) could not refuse. It seem an expensive purchase at the time. Denis Brosnan explained that a farmer is always willing to go the extra mile for the neighbours land next door. Do not see Glanbia getting DG cheap not with a covetous Kerry next door.

The golden vale farmers did well out of the share deal they got when kerry took over .You can be sure kerry wont go over the top to take over d.g.
    Stan tells us he can get milk anywhere else cheaper so what other benefit would keery get buying d.g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »
    The golden vale farmers did well out of the share deal they got when kerry took over .You can be sure kerry wont go over the top to take over d.g.
    Stan tells us he can get milk anywhere else cheaper so what other benefit would keery get buying d.g.

How do you know a Kerryman's is telling you fibs or a tall story when he trying to do a deal........they never lie;)

His lips move

Slava Ukrainii

It could be a combination of bank pressure and the dry shareholders of DG.

DG may not find their lenders in positive listening mood when DG come calling to restructure loans due. They may prefer to do business with large international solid company.

It would be hugely ironic if DG was taken over, possibly against management wishes by Kerry by the shares of dry shareholders which the same management have used for their own motives in the past.
    I'd say, a good offer to dry shareholders, they would be receptive to.
    Of the shares they had 15 years ago, they have lost one third in REOX and the rest are still at the same value.

• Advertisement

Add on done deal. Co op free to good home. No brands, no money, shiny new plant to make products nobody wants and very sizable defined benefit pension scheme for its managment to be funded. Also substantial debts to be serviced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement