Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What would it be pitched at? 3 to 6 euro per share?
    Shares in DG are €95M
    Company value €300M+
    Bank debt €100M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Water John wrote: »
    Shares in DG are €95M
    Company value €300M+
    Bank debt €100M

Company value seems to be ebita by 5-5.5 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »
    The golden vale farmers did well out of the share deal they got when kerry took over .You can be sure kerry wont go over the top to take over d.g.
    Stan tells us he can get milk anywhere else cheaper so what other benefit would keery get buying d.g.

Every analyst taught Kerry paid over the top for GV. They bought at the bottom of the market. They are experts at buying at the bottom of the market.
    Shares in DG are €95M
    Company value €300M+
    Bank debt €100M

What is the number of shares in DG. It has a lot of new shiney stainless steel. As far as I know Kerry put up little stainless even though there was grant aid. DB scheme is an issue but it can be closed and DC one open. A lot of staff are over 50 so easy to do a deal. DG co-op has wasted money all over the place in getting into non core business's. It agri business over laps the old Kerry/GV store's. Remember when Kerry took over GV it halved the number of old GV stores. It makes as much if not more sense for Kerry to take over as Glanbia.

Looking back a few years Kerry sold its branded liquid milk label and it liquid milk business to Glanbia. It saw no future in the market as too many co-op under pricing each other. Glanbia taught it was on a winner. It lost the Tesco contract to Arrabawn and Centuary in the last few weeks. Who won

Slava Ukrainii

Well Freedom that was 47M in 2014 but dropped to nearly 41M in 2015.
    Think the min would have to be 3 euro per share.

And Bass, DG already sold their brands to Kerry. Kerry even own the Dairygold name!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

i can not remember the mechanics of the kerry takeover of goldenvale but would it be possible for kerry to takeover dairygold without massive debt .I think goldenvale farmers got kerry co op shares at low prices ,but this would be out of the question now .
    At 5.50 per share what price would it cost to takeover dairygold not to mind the cost of investment needed to put it on a sounder footing

• Advertisement

5.5 EBITA is very diff to 5.5 euro per share
    227M V 517M

Any shareholder will take the second one.

5.5 EBITA is very diff to 5.5 euro per share
    227M V 517M

Any shareholder will take the second one.

You are saying here is nearly 100 million share in the co-op. hard to believe that there is that number. The truth more than likly lies somewhere in the middle. In a take over there are synergies, combining the agri business's, access to new and extra plant etc. 3-4 euro/share is more likly

Slava Ukrainii

94M in shares.
    Agri is 28% of the business.
    Over €200M spent on steel in the last 7 years.

I think you said a lot of senior staff over 50 that's true. They have made sure the pension fund is not short.

I won't talk down the price Bass. Its a once off opportunity. Milk suppliers would be wary of Kerry and Glanbia and their fondness for low price.
    But dry shareholders would be pleased with a good offer.

94M in shares.
    Agri is 28% of the business.
    Over €200M spent on steel in the last 7 years.

I think you said a lot of senior staff over 50 that's true. They have made sure the pension fund is not short.

I won't talk down the price Bass. Its a once off opportunity. Milk suppliers would be wary of Kerry and Glanbia and their fondness for low price.
    But dry shareholders would be pleased with a good offer.

It is not just senior staff in the few stores I went ti a lot of staff are 40+. Easier to do a deal with staff nearing retirement also easier to make a redundancy offer.

I think it will be really attractive to both Kerry and Glanbia. Not sure whether there stainless is co-op or PLC owned. I think in Kerry the co-op's owns the stores and the PLC own's the steel but not sure. Maybe this is why Stan left the co-op board if there was joint bid looming conflict of interest between co-op and plc. I cannot but see Kerry interested in it. A 400 million price would be 4.25/share. However if either Kerry or Glanbia buy there will be a share element in joining the new co-op.

This might make sence as either Kerry PLC or Glanbia PLC could issue new shares as part payment for there part of the venture.

Slava Ukrainii

Dry shareholders would cash out I'd say. If Kerry shares were available in part it might sweeten the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

It is not just senior staff in the few stores I went ti a lot of staff are 40+. Easier to do a deal with staff nearing retirement also easier to make a redundancy offer.

I think it will be really attractive to both Kerry and Glanbia. Not sure whether there stainless is co-op or PLC owned. I think in Kerry the co-op's owns the stores and the PLC own's the steel but not sure. Maybe this is why Stan left the co-op board if there was joint bid looming conflict of interest between co-op and plc. I cannot but see Kerry interested in it. A 400 million price would be 4.25/share. However if either Kerry or Glanbia buy there will be a share element in joining the new co-op.

This might make sence as either Kerry PLC or Glanbia PLC could issue new shares as part payment for there part of the venture.

The Chairman did mention something about a "China man" with a cheque book as if it were some kind of Master plan. Wouldn't fancy having a msa tied to him. dairlygold could end up like Tibet and Woulfe like the Dalai Lama. Except with a much better pension of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

95% of staff employed before 2011 are on db pension, fully funded afaik.

Multiples of EBITA as a valuation is fine for a limited company but not for a co-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    .nothing to be gained by merging with tipp or centenary .geographicaly it makes sense alright

know very little about either tbh, but agree better go it alone for now, might be a different story this time next year however

not looking good atm

95% of staff employed before 2011 are on db pension, fully funded afaik.

Multiples of EBITA as a valuation is fine for a limited company but not for a co-op.

Yes but considering on how DG are making a mess in managing the co-op any option should be considered

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Wasn't insulting ,was a poor offer but itvwas just an initial offer .they were never going to play trump card first same thing would of happend if roles reversed ..nothing to be gained by merging with tipp or centenary .geographicaly it makes sense alright

Were Arrabawn, Aurivo and Lakelands close to doing something a number of years ago? Lots of duplication of facilities and skill sets with those 3...

Not sure does Aurivo management see themselves in that grouping.
    There can be a lot of strategic synergies and diff models. Full merger may not be the best option.
    The 4 West Cork coops do their own thing in many ways. That also keeps a local identity and exploits diff niche areas.

Some processors also use Ornua a lot, others very little. DG use is around 70% I think.

Dairygold themselves only value the whole business at something like 300 m and if the usual rhetoric is anything to go by, I'd be fairly confident their being optimistic. Now if you take 200 m of borrowings off that. It would make the net value just 100m. On top of that as in the case of Gill.if you already have spare processing capacity you are having difficulty filling. Why would you want to buy more processing plants? In truth then the new Mallow plant they have been making such a song and dance about would be surplus to requirements and it's only real value would be the scrap value of the plant plus the site value. In fairness it is a valuable site in the middle of a town and probably too valuable to be using it for processing milk in the first place. That is one thing Henchy did seem to be right about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Farmer Ed wrote: »

Dairygold themselves only value the whole business at something like 300 m and if the usual rhetoric is anything to go by, I'd be fairly confident their being optimistic. Now if you take 200 m of borrowings off that. It would make the net value just 100m. On top of that as in the case of Gill.if you already have spare processing capacity you are having difficulty filling. Why would you want to buy more processing plants? In truth then the new Mallow plant they have been making such a song and dance about would be surplus to requirements and it's only real value would be the scrap value of the plant plus the site value. In fairness it is a valuable site in the middle of a town and probably too valuable to be using it for processing milk in the first place. That is one thing Henchy did seem to be right about.
    Take it dg didn't build the processing capacity, we would be looking for other coops to buy our milk at peak in one of the worst downturns going and that coop most likely being Glanbia, do u honestly think our milk price would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

blackdog1 wrote:
    Lost one of my top cows to inconclusive and she turned out clear after...I don't miss her now but she was a he'll of a cow. Bite the bullet or isolate and retest but it's up to you. Either way you'll always to looking at her and never happy when she's mixing with the rest.

Farmer Ed wrote:

If anyone buys us out it would be Kerry I recon.

Milked out wrote: »
    Take it dg didn't build the processing capacity, we would be looking for other coops to buy our milk at peak in one of the worst downturns going and that coop most likely being Glanbia, do u honestly think our milk price would be better?

I don't think there was anything worth getting excited about processed in mallow last year and mogeely was only operating one day a week. Gill were having teething problems with bellview and were still sending milk down to mitchelstown.. Actually it's pretty certain if Dg hadn't wasted all that money in mallow you would be getting a better price for you milk now.

Mallow is a bit like a farmer buying a shiny new self propelled to cut his own silage. For the amount of time it is likely to be needed I don't think it ever made since to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

what date are we suppose to be getting paid the milk cheque, announced the price early this month but looks like we are waiting until the 17th for payment!! could have paid milk earlier to help cash flows on farms

dont think coops need to be talking about mergers, possible just use processors to process and take good back goods to sell ourselves dont think any coop needs to merge/be taken over our problem is inability to sell and market not process and our processors have not stepped up to this plate and dont want to they only understand stainless steel, the only people who will benefit from mergers is the management teams on both sides, suppliers do not feature and no synergies will be created that arnt all ready there, glanbia and kerry coop on a different path than dg, neither system is perfect both have advantages and disadvantages, both now need to change approach as what has worked in the past is unlikely to work again cant see gii ever being floated on its own it would take 50 years like it did with avonmore/waterford foods, we had all the brands and markets and avonmore had a bundle of cash there was logic, we have now cashed in our brands to pull us through these low price periods....but what do we do next time....supermarkets have dented branded business with own value brands so hard to establish new brands ...we still have 30% to go, if thats the plan to follow kerry model or in kerry case when the remaining 10% is gone?...which is what there suppliers are now figuring out, with kerry being at a more advance stage in its coop life cycle as we see with the winding down of stake in plc the farmers are back to square one from a milk point of view, glanbia will do the same

from the sound of it dg management are running amuck, defined pension and if they have them you can be sure there ridding ye in other ways too, but its up to ye to hold them account, easier to change management than change their views..... we are finding this difficult ourselves as management have put up barriers to this over the years we cant even get a P&L and they get sneaker as the years go on and transparent is suppose to be a fashionable buzz word these days

what date are we suppose to be getting paid the milk cheque, announced the price early this month but looks like we are waiting until the 17th for payment!! could have paid milk earlier to help cash flows on farms

dont think coops need to be talking about mergers, possible just use processors to process and take good back goods to sell ourselves dont think any coop needs to merge/be taken over our problem is inability to sell and market not process and our processors have not stepped up to this plate and dont want to they only understand stainless steel, the only people who will benefit from mergers is the management teams on both sides, suppliers do not feature and no synergies will be created that arnt all ready there, glanbia and kerry coop on a different path than dg, neither system is perfect both have advantages and disadvantages, both now need to change approach as what has worked in the past is unlikely to work again cant see gii ever being floated on its own it would take 50 years like it did with avonmore/waterford foods, we had all the brands and markets and avonmore had a bundle of cash there was logic, we have now cashed in our brands to pull us through these low price periods....but what do we do next time....supermarkets have dented branded business with own value brands so hard to establish new brands ...we still have 30% to go, if thats the plan to follow kerry model or in kerry case when the remaining 10% is gone?...which is what there suppliers are now figuring out, with kerry being at a more advance stage in its coop life cycle as we see with the winding down of stake in plc the farmers are back to square one from a milk point of view, glanbia will do the same

from the sound of it dg management are running amuck, defined pension and if they have them you can be sure there ridding ye in other ways too, but its up to ye to hold them account, easier to change management than change their views..... we are finding this difficult ourselves as management have put up barriers to this over the years we cant even get a P&L and they get sneaker as the years go on and transparent is suppose to be a fashionable buzz word these days

The issue with the number of processors is that they are competing against each other for contracts. arrabawn/Centuary took the Tesco liquid milk contract off Glanbia. Glanbia too LIDL contract off some else. DG lost Danone contract to Glanbia was it. We are competing against each other it could be costing farmers 1-2c/L on these contracts. No point in having NDC on the label if we are undercutting each other. It is bad enough competing against French cheese, and northern milk.

Slava Ukrainii

The issue with the number of processors is that they are competing against each other for contracts. arrabawn/Centuary took the Tesco liquid milk contract off Glanbia. Glanbia too LIDL contract off some else. DG lost Danone contract to Glanbia was it. We are competing against each other it could be costing farmers 1-2c/L on these contracts. No point in having NDC on the label if we are undercutting each other. It is bad enough competing against French cheese, and northern milk.

In theory you are right in practice experience shows us that the large Co ops are the ones paying the lowest milk price. Also they are the ones who treat their suppliers with the least amount of respect. As for the NDC. Are they really not duplicating the work of Ornua. If Ornua can promote milk internationaly why can't it also promote it at home. And then that brings us to board bia. Again are they not duplicating some of the work of the other two also. If it's time to scrap stuff. Maybe first we need to look at the quangos living off the poor cow.

In theory you are right in practice experience shows us that the large Co ops are the ones paying the lowest milk price. Also they are the ones who treat their suppliers with the least amount of respect. As for the NDC. Are they really not duplicating the work of Ornua. If Ornua can promote milk internationaly why can't it also promote it at home. And then that brings us to board bia. Again are they not duplicating some of the work of the other two also. If it's time to scrap stuff. Maybe first we need to look at the quangos living off the poor cow.

NDC is the brand used on milk labels in Ireland to indicate that milk is of Irish orgin. Mosr big retailers want the brand on there milk at this stage even own brand. With co-op undercutting on price there is little oint on the label and this may costing a few cent a litre on the liquid milk

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

18th is normally the payment date, price per litre is up on glanbia connect but no statement

NDC is the brand used on milk labels in Ireland to indicate that milk is of Irish orgin. Mosr big retailers want the brand on there milk at this stage even own brand. With co-op undercutting on price there is little oint on the label and this may costing a few cent a litre on the liquid milk

You could just as easily put on a board bia label or an Ornua logo . Why are we all having to be board bia approved if it's the NDC or Ornua are the people selling our product? Surely there seems to be duplication and this is just one example Our farming industry must surely be the world leader in the quango creation .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭johnny122

Anyone hear anything about co ops and dept of ag meeting this week 're some big announcement to support milk price ?

johnny122 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about co ops and dept of ag meeting this week 're some big announcement to support milk price ?

I saw on Agriland that agriculture ministers are meeting in Brussels Every race and Creed.
    Drawg seemed to have some insider information that the Bfp would be paid very early this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I saw on Agriland that agriculture ministers are meeting in Brussels Every race and Creed.
    Drawg seemed to have some insider information that the Bfp would be paid very early this year.

Can't see how paying out the bps will be beneficial, all it means is that for Spring calving herds dairy herds they will be able to clear up some of the bills a bit quicker but f##k me it will be a few fairly lean months after that when the milk cheques won't be a whole lot and the usual injection of cash in October/Dec is already gone and spent

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Can't see how paying out the bps will be beneficial, all it means is that for Spring calving herds dairy herds they will be able to clear up some of the bills a bit quicker but f##k me it will be a few fairly lean months after that when the milk cheques won't be a whole lot and the usual injection of cash in October/Dec is already gone and spent
    Agreed , would it not be better that they worked to pay everyone on time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    18th is normally the payment date, price per litre is up on glanbia connect but no statement

They have the trading account statement for April up alright tho! Anyways 23.65c net price here, ouch.

Timmaay wrote: »
    They have the trading account statement for April up alright tho! Anyways 23.65c net price here, ouch.

24.2 here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Well now theres something that should be easily achieved and might be a nice little poke to the boys up the li ne .if you want to get rid of the ndc stop paying the money and get your coop to stop paying, its a good time to do it as fellas might actually get off their ass and do it with moneybeing tight.now so get motivated and get organised.the ndc is a throw back to a bygone era and serves no real pourpose now adays.

Is that levy compulsory

keep going wrote: »
    Well now theres something that should be easily achieved and might be a nice little poke to the boys up the li ne .if you want to get rid of the ndc stop paying the money and get your coop to stop paying, its a good time to do it as fellas might actually get off their ass and do it with moneybeing tight.now so get motivated and get organised.the ndc is a throw back to a bygone era and serves no real pourpose now adays.

That would just be a start
    Anyone have any idea how the milk quality co op or the dairy executives organisation helps the price of milk? I would have thought the dairy executives are well looked after by Icos. All icos ever seem to do is bitch about West cork paying to much for milk.
    The gas part is when you look at a lot of the boards of quangos. You find the same people popping up again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

That would just be a start
    Anyone have any idea how the milk quality co op or the dairy executives organisation helps the price of milk? I would have thought the dairy executives are well looked after by Icos. All icos ever seem to do is bitch about West cork paying to much for milk.
    The gas part is when you look at a lot of the boards of quangos. You find the same people popping up again and again.

If you achieve that then start talking about the others

You could just as easily put on a board bia label or an Ornua logo . Why are we all having to be board bia approved if it's the NDC or Ornua are the people selling our product? Surely there seems to be duplication and this is just one example Our farming industry must surely be the world leader in the quango creation .

The label is immaterial if you have two or more processors undercutting each other to supply that product. It si not farming organistations that are world leaders at quango creation. It is Ireland Inc. Every time we have an issue we set up a supervisory board or a regulatory body. Each with a board, a CEO and a support organisation. Here is a sample of a few.

http://quangos-ireland.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Irish_Quangos

These are only directly controlled Quango's. You also have indirect quango's such as Rehab and county and town councils etc.

In the UK they are trying to reduce the number however in Ireland we are powering ahead with the number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quango

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Many, many years ago I was instrumental in "slimming down" one of those agricultural quangos in the UK...

What I recall from it is truly frightening. Simple questions like, "why exactly do we employ a librarian, and do we really need an empty building in Knightsbridge (Mayfair not being a traditional farming area)?", were met with looks of total amazement, followed by militant defense.

Once 80% or so of the staff had gone and the costs had gone down by 90% even the remaining ones were beginning to plan to abolish themselves.

Edit: I should add that performance was significantly improved as well. It had never occurred to anybody there that two or three phone calls to Tesco, Sainsbury etc. and a bit of Jamie Oliver could do much more for domestic consumption than a £4 or £5 million marketing budget and endless "me too" civil service style meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Is that levy compulsory

I enquired about them levies in the past few weeks.they have to be paid since its the government that make them compulsory.here for 403,500 litres sent in 2015 the levies came to around €1,800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

boggerman1 wrote: »
    I enquired about them levies in the past few weeks.they have to be paid since its the government that make them compulsory.here for 403,500 litres sent in 2015 the levies came to around €1,800
    Feck sake.... any word on arrabawn?

• Advertisement

If the new minister really wants to help us he could start by having a look at that. There's loads more we don't even know about. Eg anyone know what the milk quality co op does or how it is funded? The list seems to be endless. Even if it's not itemised on you milk statement you can be sure it is coming out of agricultures budget somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

27.34 cpl here, due to fixed price schemes and slightly better than usual solids.
    Yield was down due to cows being still in so late so balanced out a bit. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Feck sake.... any word on arrabawn?

I'm centenary co-op so haven't a clue about any of the rest.i guess they must be all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn price down 1 cent to 23.7 vat inc ,aghhhh bollox

latest glanbia statement on line now, levies of 220 euro for April on my account

latest glanbia statement on line now, levies of 220 euro for April on my account

Stop any levies you can. Ah think you can stop the EIF levy;) by requesting your processor to do so.

Slava Ukrainii

Stop any levies you can. Ah think you can stop the EIF levy;) by requesting your processor to do so.
    The levies are
    Bord Bainne 54.26
    Dairy research levy 13.95
    Dairy council levy 43.15
    Govt services 61.58
    Disease eradication 36.95
    National milk agency 10.34 then
    fmp levy 29.68
    Apart from fmp what can I cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I'm centenary co-op so haven't a clue about any of the rest.i guess they must be all the same

Are those numpties going to get Urea testing up and running this year? Missed the last AGM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The levies are
    Bord Bainne 54.26
    Dairy research levy 13.95
    Dairy council levy 43.15
    Govt services 61.58
    Disease eradication 36.95
    National milk agency 10.34 then
    fmp levy 29.68
    Apart from fmp what can I cancel?
    That's nearly 250😠 ye think they'd cut levies while price is desperate

kevthegaff wrote: »
    That's nearly 250😠ye think they'd cut levies while price is desperate
    ye hadnt included the fmp levy as its in another section. What is government services?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement