Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

8000 posts now. Make that 8001.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Milked out wrote: »
    What price did the portion of your milk not in fixed price get? If your statement breaks it down that way? Seeing as I'll be looking at the bare 22c for April I can say I'm a small bit jealous......

never actually though of working out the price for each of the price bands
    non fixed is making 28.28
    first scheme is making 37.86
    last fixed scheme is making 35.08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

mahoney_j wrote:
    Just looked at April 14v April 15 v April 16 price and makes for depressing viewing .only upside for me is more milk been produced and at higher solids (slightly )wrote a few cheques to clear vet account ,for boluses ,tractor service as well as clearing a chunk of trading account with coop and bill with feed merchant .also once my annual loans kick in this month my full April cheque and more are gone with no wage left for myself .this is deliberate on my behalf as deals were done for prompt payement and leaving things more manageable for summer .feed bill be getting smaller and no big first cut silage to pay for . A lot say there's nothing out of cattle but I for one am damn glad to have them in a year like this .offfloaded fr Bulls and Herefords in Feb ,fr breeding Bulls over last month and whilst prices in marts strong I've some Hereford and Belgian blue heifers to shift next Tuesday

I'm in the same boat. If it wasn't for stock sales I couldn't clear my bills. Sold 6 bulling heifers and a few coloured cattle for good money. Have 30 heifers coming in next year so I'll cull about 15 cows. I must say when things are tight culling cows with problems isn't half the struggle even if they classified ex in the past. Any animal that isn't profitable is gone. Also helps that I'm calving in 2 blocks so I'm not holding onto any trouble cow for longer than 5 months as I've fresh calvers coming in every 5-6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Don't take me up wrong on this! But selling stock to pay bills/wages is actually a great sign of changes down the line...
    The first reaction to falling prices is to increase production...the second is to sell stock...less stock = less milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Dawggone wrote:
    Don't take me up wrong on this! But selling stock to pay bills/wages is actually a great sign of changes down the line... The first reaction to falling prices is to increase production...the second is to sell stock...less stock = less milk!

Don't get too excited Dawg I'm just selling surplus stock that I sell every year haven't reduced numbers yet and doubt I will. I'm at 90 cows and that's as high as I can go without renting more land.I can see your point but don't think it will happen big time till the spring boys dry off and have no cheque for 2 months. A few winter lads might start before hand but I recon in November cull cow prices won't be great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Dawggone wrote: »
    Don't take me up wrong on this! But selling stock to pay bills/wages is actually a great sign of changes down the line...
    The first reaction to falling prices is to increase production...the second is to sell stock...less stock = less milk!

AI man commented that there's a massive drop in sales to either beef AI or beef stock bull...so rock on 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

AI man commented that there's a massive drop in sales to either beef AI or beef stock bull...so rock on 2019

Do any of these boys have a long term plan at all? Unless you have very deep pockets the lead time on dairy expansion is years. It can all be undone in a couple of weeks but uphill is hard and slow work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Giddy up I smell scarce 2 k + euro heifers .ill have lots .96% bulled today day 27! And not one beef straw user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Giddy up I smell scarce 2 k + euro heifers .ill have lots .96% bulled today day 27! And not one beef straw user
    U wouldn't know jerry could be an exodus from dairying, who's going to pay that money with milk in the early 20s

kevthegaff wrote: »
    U wouldn't know jerry could be an exodus from dairying, who's going to pay that money with milk in the early 20s
    If milk is still in the early 20's in 2019 I think alot of land will be planted in forestry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, I'm not making many changes here. All cows go to AI dairy straws, most of the heifers have 1 shot of dairy AI got for the first time and there are 2 stock bulls, AA with the cows and friesian with the heifers and swap around every few weeks.

Late calvers will probably be sold and a few culls will be gone early. Someone made the point on twitter about selling the 4 or 5 worst cows in the herd and I have a few gone already, mostly for behaviour. It has made a huge difference to the ease of milking and general behaviour of the cows.

If I'm down in milk this year and next, it's not the end of the world. Milk price is almost immaterial, if it make sense to do it this year, it makes sense to do it every year.

kevthegaff wrote: »

With the amount of lads using minimal dairy straws and more beef Bulls and lines of yourself gone the flying herd route scarcity is inevitable Kev .milk won't stay at low 20s long or medium term and will rebound .my plan is to have up to 20/25 too ebi genomic heifers to sell every year unless an opportunity over the ditch pops up .that along with sale of breeding Bulls and whatever beef I rear to 12:14 months is my buffer .makes no sense to me selling calves at 50/80 euro or less unless at a large scale milking nos wise

Is alot of it not just that people have enough replacements now and naturally are using more beef? Agree on getting rid of trouble some cows. Had a bitch here that used to always breakout. She sort of self culled by doing the splits but bringing in the cows is stress free now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its horses for courses. Some are on a tight line financially, therefore good beef calves having drank lots of cheap milk would be a good cash boost next spring.
    Family have to be taken care of first.
    One can always switch back next year. One year of not rearing replacements won't do much damage and would ease work load for some.
    For others staying at you are doing and selling culls and some calving down heifers is your cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    If milk is still in the early 20's in 2019 I think alot of land will be planted in forestry

Lads will laugh and say it devalues land etc, but on marginal late wet ground I think it's a no brainer personally clearing 12 acres of natural woodland here at the minute and will be planting this and another 8 acres of wet ground bounding it when I got all the paperwork/grants sorted.....
    Another big plus is coming down the line when peak oil is reached and oil gets expensive again having 20 acres like above could be a nice little nest egg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Interesting concept but a sad reflection on the the state of the industry if people have to borrow money just to keep a loss making enterprises a float. If and when it happens you could see it as being of more of a benefit to co ops and merchants than farmers. The merchant will get paid but the farmer now has yet another loan that needs to be repaid. I think farmers who are heavily borrowed are the ones finding it most difficult at the moment

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Lads will laugh and say it devalues land etc, but on marginal late wet ground I think it's a no brainer personally clearing 12 acres of natural woodland here at the minute and will be planting this and another 8 acres of wet ground bounding it when I got all the paperwork/grants sorted.....
    Another big plus is coming down the line when peak oil is reached and oil gets expensive again having 20 acres like above could be a nice little nest egg

No sure demand for oil might be as high in a few years time as more electric cars come on the road. But that said looking at returns on other farming enterprises, nothing can be ruled out anymore

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    No sure demand for oil might be as high in a few years time as more electric cars come on the road. But that said looking at returns on other farming enterprises, nothing can be ruled out anymore

With bord na mona stopping turf cutting and shutting down the bogs their should be massive demand for timber to fill the gap for these power stations and even as eco-birquettes their's a 10 acre yard close enough to me stock piled with wood supplying power stations at the minute, combined with the sub of 250 euro a year for 15 year's it's a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Interesting concept but a sad reflection on the the state of the industry if people have to borrow money just to keep a loss making enterprises a float. If and when it happens you could see it as being of more of a benefit to co ops and merchants than farmers. The merchant will get paid but the farmer now has yet another loan that needs to be repaid. I think farmers who are heavily borrowed are the ones finding it most difficult at the moment

have to agree

any farmer that has to borrow just to keep afloat this year is up sh1t creek, milk prices won't rise any significant amount in the next 5 years imo

best get the shop in order now, than be a pawn for the banks/co ops/ merchants etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

With bord na mona stopping turf cutting and shutting down the bogs their should be massive demand for timber to fill the gap for these power stations and even as eco-birquettes their's a 10 acre yard close enough to me stock piled with wood supplying power stations at the minute, combined with the sub of 250 euro a year for 15 year's it's a no brainer

Id say natural gas and cheap imports will still keep a lid on prices

orm0nd wrote: »

milk prices won't rise any significant amount in the next 5 years imo

Someone from Fonterra agrees with you.,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Dairygold Base 22.
    Received 23.8 incl vat. Including fixed price and 0.4c quality bonus and 0.1c farm assurance bonus. @3.28p and 3.86bf.
    Society average was 22.931c/l
    Society avg % solids were just higher than mine so I don't know if the fixed price scheme included in the average or a lot of people didn't go for it. Doesn't specify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Ah beef cattle the 3 card trick boys of agriculture, now you see your money now you dont , I cant ever figure how 100 euro per head profit per year is a big help in a bad year, you mightnt have the cash flow problems if you didnt have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

keep going wrote: »
    Ah beef cattle the 3 card trick boys of agriculture, now you see your money now you dont , I cant ever figure how 100 euro per head profit per year is a big help in a bad year, you mightnt have the cash flow problems if you didnt have them
    Only reason I can see is outside blocks, wouldn't go for it here. If it costs 1500 to get a heifer to the parlour at two, the only cost the beef animal wouldn't have would be the ai/ breeding and maybe the second wintering depending on age at sale.

Have had beef here as long as I've been interested in farming and unless something drastically changes I will continue to .they are a ready to sell luquid asset and an alternative source of income especially in a bad year .ive out side blocks of land so it suits and not milking cows to a huge scale 110/120 max.rear them good for first 10/12 weeks and then let grass and some meal till June and meal again from late September put condition them .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

whinging dairy farmers. They were overpaid since quotas got introduced. Gravy train is running out of track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Have to remember too that not all dairy cows can breed a good beef animal.
    Big variation in cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Dairying was always slavery never big money to be made since the 80s

whinging dairy farmers. They were overpaid since quotas got introduced. Gravy train is running out of track.
    Bet you're glad to get that off your back, it must have been an awful burden on you, you poor lad:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Have to remember too that not all dairy cows can breed a good beef animal.
    Big variation in cows.

Changed to British friesian a few years ago. Great improvement in calf health and cow health. Good calves too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Changed to British friesian a few years ago. Great improvement in calf health and cow health. Good calves too

Milk delivered per cow probably went up let me guess also? The AI men introducing milky HOs here just because we were in liquid milk probably was the single biggest cockup that happened here over the last 20years, we would never have had the attention to detail for them and very basic winter diet etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Kerry supplier April milk
    all spring calving
    Proitein 3.14
    Fat 4.20
    Scc 132
    Milk price recived 26.378cl

Fixed price included in this.

without fixed price would have only recived 24.881cl

Protein killing price . Too much silage in diet in early April.

April 2015 milk price recived 31.960cl

Timmaay wrote: »
    Milk delivered per cow probably went up let me guess also? The AI men introducing milky HOs here just because we were in liquid milk probably was the single biggest cockup that happened here over the last 20years, we would never have had the attention to detail for them and very basic winter diet etc.

Yeah solids everything alot better. They can look after them selves. Using top ebi bulls on them now

ROFLMAO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Greedy b@stards them dairy farmers :rolleyes:

That's a silly figure....sure they're probably paying a farmer for his labour from that:pac:

• Advertisement

That's a silly figure....sure they're probably paying a farmer for his labour from that:pac:

Yeah ridiculous. Who pays themselves for working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Buford, yes its in the article.
    The most important person to read in that is Melvin. The biggest risk to farm safety is over work, tiredness and stress.

CEO DG said that supplies in the last few weeks were up 3.5% on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

ornua have a similar turnover to glanbia, never knew that before. the big flucation in their price index is confusing considering they are selling the bulk of our branded business

http://www.ornua.com/our-group/ornua-ppi/

Half as many people working for them as glanbia, but it appears they have a defined benifit scheme in place according to accounts......crazy stuff, who is sitting on these remuneration committees????

kowtow link to us data was interesting, bit of work involved converting to kg then back to euro:) only half of us suppliers in milk margin program, id imagine other half are selling into futures
    previously they did reduce supply wit world milk prices below the 27c mark, wouldnt happen this time around, cheap grain has now reduced this further amkes them more cometitive.
    They have a strong domestic market and better tools than us to deal with volatility, higher feed cost even out by lower wage costs, need to have a 1000 cows to have efficient set up be some laugh over here thunder rain storm with 1000 cows running round in circles be some image from a plane, munster to turn black and white, i drove past a farm not far from me yesterday that increased to 500 last year, couldnt see a blade of grass with all the black and white in paddock, cant see it hapening here we couldnt even put up a turbine with local objection and environmental issues relating to birds, so our industry needs to be structured accordingly not for factory farms, bulk and low cost...
    Thought the new york farmers would be getting a bit more, based on location, why didnt you set up shop their kowtow, direct access to market their is an opportunity their
    Love the opportunity cost of labor included, dont know what they are spending on marketing, if we had their milk price and our costs wed be in a good position but our milk price is linked the asia/oceanic domestic milk, us only affects us to what they produce for export and the volume we export to us, if price is their they sell if not their government will buy and give out to ngos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Thought the new york farmers would be getting a bit more, based on location, why didnt you set up shop their kowtow, direct access to market their is an opportunity ...

I won't say I wasn't tempted but the lure of home got me in the end.. and West Cork was the only place I think of with sufficient sense of humour to take on a couple of free range children who had never seen a "proper" school..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

kowtow wrote: »
    I won't say I wasn't tempted but the lure of home got me in the end.. and West Cork was the only place I think of with sufficient sense of humour to take on a couple of free range children who had never seen a "proper" school..

Didnt know you were a neighbour, between you and browned ive a bit of detective work to do:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Didnt know you were a neighbour, between you and browned ive a bit of detective work to do:-)

I reckon it'd be easy enough to find Browned.

Can't be too many farms with a hammock strung outside the parlour door at this time of year :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

tmp_12432-20160522_0818062106754297_zpsbdyvdd3c.jpg~original On the Fonterra tanker!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/icos-focus-on-price-undermines-dairy-potential-332015.html#.VV8PUl-Li-g.facebook

Is this guy on drugs or what? He still tries to give the impression he is acting in the best interests of 150000 Irish Dairy farmers. If the price falls much more, that figure could drop below 10000 a lot quicker than we might think!

If there was ever a good example as to why that quango should be scrapped. Surely this must be it?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/icos-focus-on-price-undermines-dairy-potential-332015.html#.VV8PUl-Li-g.facebook

Is this guy on drugs or what? He still tries to give the impression he is acting in the best interests of 150000 Irish Dairy farmers. If the price falls much more, that figure could drop below 10000 a lot quicker than we might think!

If there was ever a good example as to why that quango should be scrapped. Surely this must be it?

With the likes of this representing glanbia farmers on the board their really is no hope, he has his snout in the trough and probably a heap of plc shares under his pillow so of course his general consensus is going to be f**k the small lad barely making ends meat....
    once him and corbally and all the other boys that are suited and booted are looked after ever thing is fine in their world

With the likes of this representing glanbia farmers on the board their really is no hope, he has his snout in the trough and probably a heap of plc shares under his pillow so of course his general consensus is going to be f**k the small lad barely making ends meat....
    once him and corbally and all the other boys that are suited and booted are looked after ever thing is fine in their world
    We effectively have zero farmer representation. The board members are so far out of touch with reality its laughable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement