Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Isn't there some company even bottling mains water.

Peckham spring. Or at least thats what I think Del boy called it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

whelan2 wrote: »
    Thanks. Will probably be on 6 o clock news again

Don't quote me on it as it sounds a bit low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

browned wrote: »
    George Lee was on the news at one on rte. The average dairy farmer only has loans of 60k. Can't remember the exact figure but a sizeable amount have no loans. They were talking about the Teagasc Figure for different farming enterprises for 2015. He also kept emphasising that the 2016 dairy figure will be crap

Think it was 2/3 have no loans while 1/3 have an average of 60,000
    Either way what difference does it make. It's not like a business can go on without finance, "ye have hardly any debt ye'll be grand" job. A generalisation like that is pointless. Particularly when many farmers are near the end of their careers, if they want young people to come in how do they hope to do so. There may always be people with no, medium and large amounts of debt, if the sector won't return enough to expand or keep going by financing there won't be much of a sector left

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Did anyone ask George lee if teagasc members were a representative sample of dairy farmers? What percentage are they,do they tell the truth on the form(in my experience many don't)

Also I've paid my teagasc sub for decades and have never been asked about my financials
    And of course,mortgages or home loans aren't counted at all,so a dairy farmer could be paying back a mortgage on the house he/she built of maybe 200 k and mar dhea according to teagasc have no loan at all,despite relying on a negative margin dairy business to keep up those payments

Honestly,when you hear what bull is in the news programmes about things you do know something about,you'd have to question the veracity of their commentary on anything else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Pacoa wrote: »
    Peckham spring. Or at least thats what I think Del boy called it.

It's in co. tipperary.
    They have a licence for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Check today happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Milked out wrote: »
    Either way what difference does it make. It's not like a business can go on without finance, "ye have hardly any debt ye'll be grand" job. A generalisation like that is pointless. Particularly when many farmers are near the end of their careers, if they want young people to come in how do they hope to do so. There may always be people with no, medium and large amounts of debt, if the sector won't return enough to expand or keep going by financing there won't be much of a sector left
    If there isn't enough for basic maintenance in a business, you have to question the future of that business.

One year, OK.

Two years, I'd be asking questions.

Three years, it's time to look elsewhere, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If there isn't enough for basic maintenance in a business, you have to question the future of that business.

One year, OK.

Two years, I'd be asking questions.

Three years, it's time to look elsewhere, imo.
    Do you think many would survive 3 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

keep going wrote: »
    Check today happy enough

Only today? Did they forget to pay it on time?

• Advertisement

Pacoa wrote: »

George could take a leaf out of those journalists book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    George could take a leaf out of those journalists book.

Yea right...a discounting supermarket chain in Oz crashed world milk price?

And Chinese cows are fed...chemicals?

Emotive tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Working from memory, the figures last year were one third of dairy farms had no farm loan. Two thirds had. The average across all dairy farmers was €63K. Thus the average loan was near €100K.
    I think also these are bank loans not incl merchant credit, delayed bills etc.

Haven't seen George yet.

Water John wrote: »
    Working from memory, the figures last year were one third of dairy farms had no farm loan. Two thirds had. The average across all dairy farmers was €63K. Thus the average loan was near €100K.
    I think also these are bank loans not incl merchant credit, delayed bills etc.

Haven't seen George yet.
    he was in studio on the one o clock news, he did a report on the 6 o clock news. So wasnt as much detail on the 6 o clocl news. Maybe the rte player of the 1 o clock news will show it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

pedigree 6 wrote:
    If the average farmer has loans of 60k and others have none. I wonder what the top amount that some farmers have borrowed. Averages hide a lot. Also I wonder does teagasc average dairy income include the total income on a 300 cow herd and say 3 people get a wage from it. But if teagasc do it on a per farm basis thus skewing the figures to an average dairy farmer.

The figure we need is the median, not the mean.

The average borrowing of all dairy farmers is not the same as the borrowing of the "average" dairy farmer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭Jaysus Christ

Dawggone wrote: »

Emotive tripe.

I thought it was the Chinese babies for discovering breast is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Lol. Tillage incomes increased due to rising cattle prices.:D:D

I knew it was per farm and not per labour/income unit.

Edit: This is so funny. Tillage guys must be using oxen now to pull the ploughs.

I wonder how long till the author spots it.
    Better check the rest as well.

Dawggone wrote:

Amazing the different reasons supposedly intelligent people come up with to explain why market prices fall.

When I was a youngster we had a very eloquent, affable broker in the office who used to look after big retail money... the sort of man who could listen to clients going on about their children without actually falling asleep.. good bedside manner.

When markets crashed as they do from time to time and the phones were red hot he used to purr at them down the line "prices going down? Well yes, I can tell you with absolute confidence that it's happening because there are more sellers than buyers"

Clients were usually so shocked at the truth that they thanked him politely and rang off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

browned wrote: »
    Think it was 2/3 have no loans while 1/3 have an average of €60,000

There must be some pile of ye with loans of around €10k.

• Advertisement

Emotive tripe.

It's probably closer to the truth than the spin here about white gold.

No harm to make consumers aware as to what is going on. In the same way as we have fair trade coffee, maybe its about time we also have fair trade dairy products

kowtow wrote: »
    Amazing the different reasons supposedly intelligent people come up with to explain why market prices fall.

When I was a youngster we had a very eloquent, affable broker in the office who used to look after big retail money... the sort of man who could listen to clients going on about their children without actually falling asleep.. good bedside manner.

When markets crashed as they do from time to time and the phones were red hot he used to purr at them down the line "prices going down? Well yes, I can tell you with absolute confidence that it's happening because there are more sellers than buyers"

Clients were usually so shocked at the truth that they thanked him politely and rang off.

Lol.
    I've yankee relations that rode the housing bubble with their hardware business and, in fairness, expanded and made quite a bit of soft money...they, from their luxurious Floridian condo, think exactly like that.
    Basic facts elude them.
    When you live, work, and operate in a protective bubble, reality may seem a little distorted...remind you of anything agricultural?

It's probably closer to the truth than the spin here about white gold.

No harm to make consumers aware as to what is going on. In the same way as we have fair trade coffee, maybe its about time we also have fair trade dairy products

Ed, I like my newsfeed to be honest, factual and informed.

I have to say it's getting more difficult to find proper reporting of news.

That 'report' is nothing but shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Have you ever tried to find out off a farmer how many cows he has or how many acres.

Can you imagine them telling a lad from teagasc how much there borrowings are.

Only today? Did they forget to pay it on time?

Yera no we tell them hold on to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Do you think many would survive 3 years?
    It would depend on the level of losses they make in total. Three years making a cent or two of a loss would see a lot hang in there but a year with 5c of a loss would push a lot over the edge.

It's like the story about putting the frog in boiling water and he will jump out straight away but slowly heat the water and he will die before he can react to jump out.

I thought it was the Chinese babies for discovering breast is best.

See, I can't engage you at all in any sort of rational/shyte conversation.

Here's why...
    You're the Popes boss...he's infallible...and you're all-knowing...just where do I come in this??

The all knowing/all seeing entity!

Respect?

Ed, I like my newsfeed to be honest, factual and informed.

I have to say it's getting more difficult to find proper reporting of news.

That 'report' is nothing but shyte.

Would have to agree with you about the stuff you find in the media when I found out the stuff my own co op was feeding me was just spin from a Pr agent. That was the final straw for me. We are constantly being sold pups and our milk price currently reflects that.

Surprised you don't follow French media? Do they have a French boards?

Boards is a sort of quirky Irish thing. Tried launching it in some other countries, never took on, I think.

• Advertisement

Boards is a sort of quirky Irish thing. Tried launching it in some other countries, never took on, I think.
    are ye like the holy trinity, you see one , next see the other but ye are all the one spirit afterwards

There's an excellent French forum for tillage and machinery.
    Just found out on it now that the nuclear power stations are out on strike now.

Boards can be good for the dairy side of things.

Dairygold farm safety walks kick-off today as risk of accidents heightens @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dairygold-farm-safety-walks-kick-off-today-as-risk-of-accidents-heightens/

My be a depressing thing to say but the biggest threat to farmers wellbeing at the moment is milk price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Dairygold farm safety walks kick-off today as risk of accidents heightens @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dairygold-farm-safety-walks-kick-off-today-as-risk-of-accidents-heightens/

My be a depressing thing to say but the biggest threat to farmers wellbeing at the moment is milk price

Very true and not just from a mental health perspective, things like fixing a broken hand -brake/replacing a pto shaft will all be put off due to lack of funds....
    It's a serious case of bad timing to rolling out mandotory bord bia dairy compliance, if you end up getting a prick of a inspector who lands in and presents you with a list of things needed rectified that run into thousands where are lads ment to pull this from when they are already on their knees.
    Theirs a serious lack of joined up thinking from the higher ups who simply seem hell bent on piling on pressure on farmers already at breaking point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

https://theconversation.com/murray-goulburn-saga-has-roots-in-deregulation-59607

Some sort of rally in Melbourne tomorrow. Lot of media hype surrounding milk price. I've heard stories of farms shutting down and suicides from people but who knows how accurate they are. Only milk in the shops is shop branded stuff with some of it going for 50 cent! No restocking of other brands as far as I saw.

On the ground I was chatting to an organic guy in pub last week seems to be going strong. Another guy I know is milking 200 but pushing for 300. Just bought in 150 in calf heifers. Lining up a couple for farm takeover. Cows getting wheaten straw mix and bales here on the feed pad after milkings then pushed to paddock. Dry year not helping but raining tonight.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Very true and not just from a mental health perspective, things like fixing a broken hand -brake/replacing a pto shaft will all be put off due to lack of funds....
    It's a serious case of bad timing to rolling out mandotory bord bia dairy compliance, if you end up getting a prick of a inspector who lands in and presents you with a list of things needed rectified that run into thousands where are lads ment to pull this from when they are already on their knees.
    Theirs a serious lack of joined up thinking from the higher ups who simply seem hell bent on piling on pressure on farmers already at breaking point

Very valid points. If the political will was really there and the minister really wants to do something to reduce pressure on farmer's. It would be a welcome gesture to stop farm inspections until farm incomes recover. The move on the board bia inspections has to be welcomed as a step in the right direction.

Also if a payment of €15k per farm could be secured for a temporary drop in output. Maybe it should not n ruled out without having a look at the proposal. A lot of farmers may be forced to cut back production anyway as cows are culled to pay bills and feed is reduced to cut costs.

• Advertisement

Very simple, Keep Going, if you have a problem with me, or some imaginary infringement by me, you should report it.

My concern is dairy farmers, esp those of DG and Glanbia have been taken for a ride. By both the management of these coops and worse still their board members.
    The bottom line is farmers losing money and working harder. You supply West Cork, if DG farmers were paid your price, it would mean €25/30M extra to DG farmers.
    Solids are higher on DG suppliers and that is being used to camoulage the poor price by DG and they quoting the KPMG milk price audit.
    That's a real problem to be concerned about. Don't be chasing shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Was at quiet an interesting meeting this week to do with milk price....A presentation by "A lady with charts" which had the information which"sure we know that already" and some stuff we wouldn't know about.
    Some attendees had done their bit of research and one gave recent examples where our coops undercut an Ornua rep in the sale of mp's. The examples were specific and worrying.
    When uou look at the waft of levies, and the level of renumeration involved you must really question are we the farmers being best served. There was mention of course of coop effeciencies and cutting costs but the return on this is nothing compared to the loss incurred in undercutting our own product. The MP in question was undercut by 200/tonne and simple enough this equates back to a farm difference of 2c/l....

Much more important for us to have joined up marketing than joined up processing...

Most interesting suggestion however was that when we listened to the causes of our delima.: overproduction, reduced buying power of consumer, low fuel and cereal prices, it is clear and obvious that we can in no way effect most of these symptoms.
    We could address one of them...Overproduction. .

A relatively small overproduction has rendered the whole of our output equal in value to the last marginal litre. Vegetable growers will, if they have a situation of overproduction, destroy product so as not to let the surplus bring down the better price for the rest. Stock farmers often have access to free potatoes and veg, that can be dyed so as to ensure it does not make it yo yhe marketplace...A short sharp shock is required. ...One which the farmers can control....

Answer...everyone dump a weeks milk...apologise to the world for over producing and tell them we are taking corrective measures....surplus eradicated in one week...message to buyers the world over that we as farmers can control price...

Make out what one weeks milk is worth at 22c...and work out how much you are down in revenue for a whole year of this terrible price....

There is very little on the horizon to effect the causes of low milk prices. ..maybe the farmers should effect the one they can control...

alps wrote: »
    A relatively small overproduction has rendered the whole of our output equal in value to the last marginal litre.

There are two things I'd like to see a lot more mature and sensible research on from the dairy industry in Ireland.

The first is the point you raise above - How much irish over production does it take to slide prices down from the top end of the product spectrum towards the bottom - this is something farmers need to understand as it has a big impact, IMO, on their likely view of future consolidation / pricing regimes in the co-ops. If a farm adds a million litres of production, but those million litres will only find the marginal lowest powder price, then on the present model that expansion is being subsidised by small farmers effectively having to share out the benefit of premium products which were always there. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it's something which needs to be understood and clear to all.

The second is for some real market research to determine to what extent Irish production methods really generate premium value in the powder market. Obviously where the higher margin products are concerned, grass based family farms are part of the picture, and that value is transmitted - but is there, realistically, any prospect of the "green" image being remunerated in the bulk powder market? One reason I raise this is that bulk powder production, indeed overproduction, could potentially have a negative effect on the overall image of Irish dairy and therefore on those products - like Kerrygold - which have actually managed to capitalise on our farming systems. It would be foolish to hurt our image by producing larger and larger amounts of something which doesn't reflect or transmit the value of it.

Both these points are subtle and would need some serious, objective, and informative study. I wonder whether any of our levy funded bodies have the integrity and intellectual rigour to do them, and share the results fully, as should really have happened prior to the hype of Harvest 2020?

Just to underline alps' point above, the powder storage in Europe situation is really frightening. I quote the www.agriland.ie article below.
    Sales of Skimmed Milk Powder (SMP) into intervention has reached 216,791t since the start of the year and is now almost over the already extended limit of 218,000t.

At the rate powder is being sold into intervention it will break the 300,000t mark in June. To put that into context 300,000t is as much as 75% of New Zealand’s annual production.
    On Monday of this week alone, almost 7,500t of SMP was offered to public intervention with Ireland leading the charge on the day, offering some 55% of the product on the day.

Wouldn't European overproduction be a better metric?
    Is Europe not the biggest producer of milk?
    For your other points re the image of Irish product...I can't really agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

According to agriland there could be 300000t of powder in intervention by June, equivalent to 75% of nz production. There'll be fun when that has to find a home. This is going to be drawn out even if production is cut

kowtow wrote: »
    There are two things I'd like to see a lot more mature and sensible research on from the dairy industry in Ireland.

The first is the point you raise above - How much irish over production does it take to slide prices down from the top end of the product spectrum towards the bottom - this is something farmers need to understand as it has a big impact, IMO, on their likely view of future consolidation / pricing regimes in the co-ops. If a farm adds a million litres of production, but those million litres will only find the marginal lowest powder price, then on the present model that expansion is being subsidised by small farmers effectively having to share out the benefit of premium products which were always there. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it's something which needs to be understood and clear to all.

The second is for some real market research to determine to what extent Irish production methods really generate premium value in the powder market. Obviously where the higher margin products are concerned, grass based family farms are part of the picture, and that value is transmitted - but is there, realistically, any prospect of the "green" image being remunerated in the bulk powder market? One reason I raise this is that bulk powder production, indeed overproduction, could potentially have a negative effect on the overall image of Irish dairy and therefore on those products - like Kerrygold - which have actually managed to capitalise on our farming systems. It would be foolish to hurt our image by producing larger and larger amounts of something which doesn't reflect or transmit the value of it.

Both these points are subtle and would need some serious, objective, and informative study. I wonder whether any of our levy funded bodies have the integrity and intellectual rigour to do them, and share the results fully, as should really have happened prior to the hype of Harvest 2020?

Was reported last week that one co op gave nearly half a million for such advice, just in 2015 alone. If I was them I'd be looking for my money back. But you are 100% dead right. There badly needs to be a broader look taken at this. I never liked quotas but more is not always better either .great post.

Wouldn't European overproduction be a better metric?
    Is Europe not the biggest producer of milk?
    For your other points re the image of Irish product...I can't really agree with you.

Well yes, and my initial reaction to alps' suggestion would be what difference would it make, Ireland is a drop in the Ocean... and other European producers will keep gunning supplies until their variable cash costs exceed the marginal litre.. and sometimes beyond.

But with the changed commodity landscape the gap is closing between the fully equipped and costed UK or Dutch intensive producer and the low cost Irish producer (particularly if the Irish producer has to fund expensive land & wages)... on a cash basis our system might ensure we are the last man standing, but in today's global climate we could lose a lot of limbs while we wait for the others to fall over.

Notwithstanding the agriland article, incremental Irish production probably doesn't make much difference to the world price - but additional milk, sold as plain powder, does dilute the domestic return to all farmers from those Irish products which are able to capture the "Irish premium"... at least on present co-op pricing models...

Very simple, Keep Going, if you have a problem with me, or some imaginary infringement by me, you should report it.

My concern is dairy farmers, esp those of DG and Glanbia have been taken for a ride. By both the management of these coops and worse still their board members.
    The bottom line is farmers losing money and working harder. You supply West Cork, if DG farmers were paid your price, it would mean €25/30M extra to DG farmers.
    Solids are higher on DG suppliers and that is being used to camoulage the poor price by DG and they quoting the KPMG milk price audit.
    That's a real problem to be concerned about. Don't be chasing shadows.

And right on que was the thank from ed.look lads post away , knock yourself out, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in my opinion based on the info avaiable to me ye are lucky to be getting even that money.i made the comment that processors would be nearly happier if every cow in ireland was dried off right now because it is so hard to find a home for any product and alot of lads disagreed but things are screwed, really screwed and the only way out of it is for prices to go so low that guys give up.yes you can come up with new products and technology but they will only add a little fat to your price its the value of the main commodities will dictate the price.this is the new reality and dairy production in ireland will always be export driven which means a huge relliance on commodity prices.the difference between west cork and dg ismore down to the structures in place and highly paid good management where decisions were taken to retain value within carbery and the coops which may come into play now but as I said before if it was relying and market returns the price in west cork would be roughly 21.5 cent

I suppose we should be ordered to give to them for free.

Well aware of market conditions. Reality is milk price is low. That makes it all the more critical that the last cent that can be got is delivered back to the farmer. I repeat again, the diff is, if Dg had positioned themselves over the last number of years as Carbery have done, it would be worth €25/30M to DG farmers this year.
    That may be the diff between a farm family surviving or going under. All down to processor mis-managment.

as I said before if it was relying and market returns the price in west cork would be roughly 21.5 cent

Agree completely with your post above - but just on the market returns figure of 21.5c, as you see it, does that include all products manufactured by / sold by Carbery.. cheese etc.?

In other words, despite their product portfolio (which unless I am mistaken is one of the better of the co-ops) they are unable to produce a return of more than a half cent higher than intervention?

And if so - is that because of the volume of Carbery milk going to powder, much of it perhaps even below intervention price, or because market prices for their own products have suffered alongside powder?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I have a feeling many farmers would look back at the rush into "white gold" and feel that with all the plc share talk and expansion and a high milk price they didn't really get to grips with who actually buys our milk, and what different product groups contribute to the average milk prices paid ... I have a feeling that you are in a better position to shed light on this than many of us here.

Edit: I know you have something of a penchant for statistics, perhaps (only slightly tongue in cheek) what we need is an EBI system for the co-ops, with sub-indexes for the quantity, quality, and price of products grouped they are equipped to produce and sell. High production / high volatilty and exposure to world markets vs. smaller, high solids, limited markets....

We could merge them annually in an attempt to breed better ones. They like a merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Load on more cows lads and let's keep blowing the ceiling on intervention, the quicker milk hits 15c the better. The future is bright the future is white.

Load on more cows lads and let's keep blowing the ceiling on intervention, the quicker milk hits 15c the better. The future is bright the future is white.

At 15c the future would be ****e and a lot of milking parlours and milk dryers would be quite. But anyone on a db pension would still be alright.

And right on que was the thank from ed.look lads post away , knock yourself out, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in my opinion based on the info avaiable to me ye are lucky to be getting even that money.i made the comment that processors would be nearly happier if every cow in ireland was dried off right now because it is so hard to find a home for any product and alot of lads disagreed but things are screwed, really screwed and the only way out of it is for prices to go so low that guys give up.yes you can come up with new products and technology but they will only add a little fat to your price its the value of the main commodities will dictate the price.this is the new reality and dairy production in ireland will always be export driven which means a huge relliance on commodity prices.the difference between west cork and dg ismore down to the structures in place and highly paid good management where decisions were taken to retain value within carbery and the coops which may come into play now but as I said before if it was relying and market returns the price in west cork would be roughly 21.5 cent

I would have to agree with you that West cork management are doing a far better job than the big boys and at much more modest wage levels too I would suspect. Again evidence that the higher salaries don't nessacerily give better results.
    In fact the opposite would seem to be the case.
    But the valid questions that has been raised here is how much does the ratio of cheap powder to more high end value added product effect the overall price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

I would have to agree with you that West cork management are doing a far better job than the big boys and at much more modest wage levels too I would suspect. Again evidence that the higher salaries don't nessacerily give better results.
    In fact the opposite would seem to be the case.
    But the valid questions that has been raised here is how much does the ratio of cheap powder to more high end value added product effect the overall price?

That's strange because According to the farmers journal carberys management remuneration is €4.7m while dairygolds is only €2.7m.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement