Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    einn32 wrote: »
    I had camel milk yesterday morning in my porridge and coffee in work. Bosses daughter runs a camel farm and processing facility. It returns a good price per litre. Tastes alright too!

Any idea how much they milk? Where are you based?

Not a clue about camels! 5/6 L a day it says on the website. They make soap too, sell camels and are looking for suppliers. I think there are a few camel farms around here. It has a lot of health benefits. I'm in Victoria, Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Water John wrote: »
    That has a bitter taste to it, Rangler.
    Then may be I'm very niaive. I think Rosseau was the philospher who promoted that ideal of human behaviour.

Don't know if you were listening today to Mairead Mc Guinness thoughts on peoples behaviour on social media.
    Don't know why people who claim somethings wrong can't sort it, whingeing about it on here wouldn't be the way I'd handle it....people have to man up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Not a clue about camels! 5/6 L a day it says on the website. They make soap too, sell camels and are looking for suppliers. I think there are a few camel farms around here. It has a lot of health benefits. I'm in Victoria, Australia.

Shoes?
    Cigarettes?

:) What can be more influential than the old fags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Would they be cold here, should we get teagsc to do a trial on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I was saying that I prefer Rosseau to Neitzsche if you will.

Mairead turning to sociology? I think I'll rely on my own opinions and sociological observations, since I have studied the subject.

Any way I was suggesting earlier that farmers themselves look at diversifying. As with some of the responses it would not suit every one. But a good few taking more control of their own destiny would be good for all farmers.
    Whelan, everyone supplying a farmer with a service or product is not guaranteed payment unless they are COD. So its all around you.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »

Shoes?
    Cigarettes?

:) What can be more influential than the old fags?

I never heard of the shoes but I know the fags. Camel sold 1 trillion cigarettes in the last century! Big publicity on the health benefits...

keep going wrote: »

Would they be cold here, should we get teagsc to do a trial on them.

Nah I doubt it, Ireland doesn't get cold! Just get straight in to it! I've heard a lot of comments on how if you're not supplying a niche agri market you're in trouble. Maybe some of us need to become agricultural entrepreneurs to survive?

At least with the camels, you won't need a pit in the milking parlour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Water John wrote:

One of those step ladders with wheels should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Water John wrote:

Nor water troughs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

rangler1 wrote: »
    Don't know if you were listening today to Mairead Mc Guinness thoughts on peoples behaviour on social media.
    Don't know why people who claim somethings wrong can't sort it, whingeing about it on here wouldn't be the way I'd handle it....people have to man up

I didn't hear Mairead but I did hear a few
    Very well healed types are on the radio yesterday. Apparently if Denis O Brien doesn't own it, it might be dangerous, Even Phil Hogan gets a hard time on social media I understand. Terrible shocking carry on altogether apparently.

Thank God for social media IMO. If it wasn't for boards you wouldnt be able to use boards to complain about boards.

I am pretty sure they have much stricter controls on social media in other countries. Hmmm? I'm pretty sure they've been very successful in reducing the amount of "whingers" in places like north Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How much would a camel cost? How long would it produce milk for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    How much would a camel cost? How long would it produce milk for?

http://www.fwi.co.uk/business/uk-s-biggest-camel-herd-up-for-sale.htm

alps wrote: »
    Wonder how the bank man would feel about looking for money to buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I didn't hear Mairead but I did hear a few
    Very well healed types are on the radio yesterday. Apparently if Denis O Brien doesn't own it, it might be dangerous, Even Phil Hogan gets a hard time on social media I understand. Terrible shocking carry on altogether apparently.

Thank God for social media IMO. If it wasn't for boards you wouldnt be able to use boards to complain about boards.

I am pretty sure they have much stricter controls on social media in other countries. Hmmm? I'm pretty sure they've been very successful in reducing the amount of "whingers" in places like north Korea.

A lot of your ''alleged'' issues are local, yet you seem incapable of dealing with them seems a bit pointless going on and on about them. conspiracy forum might be worth a try.
    ''Just because you're not paranoid however doesn't mean they're not out to get you''

Thank you Rangler I'm glad you may not think I'm not paranoid. No I don't agree that there is anyone out to get me as that would be a bit of a contradiction don't you think? I do feel that a lot of dairy farmers are facing a very stressful situation at the moment and do believe that there has been a major disregard shown for our wellbeing by some of the larger co ops over the past couple of years that is now contributing to the gap we are seeing to emerge between the best and the Worst paying Co ops. Even Ifa are now starting to use the likes of West Cork as a model for making the best returns to farmer's.

Don't get me wrong. The dairy industry is still delivering and will continue to deliver white gold. But not to the farmer. I don't think many of us have defined benefit pensions.

alps wrote: »

I'm getting interested now. They clear thistles and gorse!!! The price is a bit hefty tho. I did see somewhere else that if you don't milk them in 90seconds milk letdown stops? I wonder are they even machine Milked? I guess I simply can't afford them right now anyway and I don't even have any daughters or anything I could swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Just thinking, should there be a thread called "Milk politics" and the "political" end of milk could be discussed there. The discussion here has veered way off actual milk pricing

Just thinking, should there be a thread called "Milk politics" and the "political" end of milk could be discussed there. The discussion here has veered way off actual milk pricing

Sorry but the way the milk price works is the Coop buys your milk and they do what ever it is that particular co op does with that mik. Then everyone gets paid and the farmer only gets what's left over. So the performance of the co op has a lot to do with milk price IMO. There is a substantial price gap opening up between co ops that is very hard to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

I agree. The original premise of this thread was looking at ways farmers can improve their own milk price throught action they took in their daily farm practices. By having a second thread that focuses on the performances of the coop once the milk leaves the farm it'd clean up this messy discussion

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote:
    Wonder how the bank man would feel about looking for money to buy them?

You don't tell him.

Just say you need a short term overdraft to get you over a hump.

browned wrote: »
    I agree. The original premise of this thread was looking at ways farmers can improve their own milk price throught action they took in their daily farm practices. By having a second thread that focuses on the performances of the coop once the milk leaves the farm it'd clean up this messy discussion

Yes and we are now reduced to examining the feasibility of milking camels.

not set for this month yet . our group committe prob negotiating the price over the next few days . are you in any of the fixed schemes
    Did Strathroy set their May price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Have to agree with ed here if the farmers are looking at ways to cut milk production costs on their farms its a win,win situation for the coops on milk price

If I'm correct the latest defence of the political establishment was sparked by Wheelan taking offence to what I believe she rightly considered at bit of a condescending article on the journal.
    I wouldn't exactly describe it as blasphemy to get a bit annoyed at an article like that.

From the very first milk price on this thread co ops were being discussed. You can't just post two milk prices from two different co ops and ignore the glaring disparity.

Sorry if it makes anyone feel uncomfortable.

I think there is some sense in that particularly if there is going to be a full time discussion of specific coops.

In general this thread has become an ongoing discussion of milk economics and politics up to and beyond the farm gate, punctuated by prices when they are released, and it works.

The discussion keeps attention on the prices and vice versa - when new prices are released stagnant discussion is restarted usually with a new twist or angle. A pure stream of prices would not keep people's interest - IMO.

Maybe a separate coop politics thread is what is needed, if it is needed?

Bega cheese down to $5.00kg/ms for 16/17 season. Warranambool cheese and butter dropped to $4.80.

kowtow wrote: »
    I think there is some sense in that particularly if there is going to be a full time discussion of specific coops.

In general this thread has become an ongoing discussion of milk economics and politics up to and beyond the farm gate, punctuated by prices when they are released, and it works.

The discussion keeps attention on the prices and vice versa - when new prices are released stagnant discussion is restarted usually with a new twist or angle. A pure stream of prices would not keep people's interest - IMO.

Maybe a separate coop politics thread is what is needed, if it is needed?

Now the one question we all forgot to ask? Anyone know the May milk price for camel milk? What were the solids like? And is there any research in to the quality of gorse and thistles and any effects on solids?

Those feckers bite. What's it like to get a kick from one?

The only way to support the price to the farmer long term on cows milk is to diversify the products and the processing of same. The very opposite to what has been the official policy.
    We turn to making a variety of products for our market. Our market is the EU.
    Never overproduce one product. The French showed us by putting surplus milk into storage in a commodity. Thus protecting their speciality products.

• Advertisement

Creed to the rescue he's going on a junket to China in the autumn. Problem solved. I remember having a long discussion with him years ago when I was having difficulty with quotas and he telling me how good they were. Well fair play he doesn't seem to be a man afraid to change his mind.

The good news is one of the UK processors has announced a milk price increase. Fingers crossed.

We shouldn’t look backwards at a quota regime – Minister Creed @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/we-shouldnt-look-backwards-at-a-quota-regime-minister-creed/

I see Strathroy open to new suppliers on Farming Indo.
    Might be time for a few to put processors on notice.

I see Strathroy open to new suppliers on Farming Indo.
    Might be time for a few to put processors on notice.

Can't beat a bit of competition. Talk of a few more having given notice to go to Arrabawn.also. I' have a funny reeling there could be more people who didn't sign contractss than people know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Creed to the rescue he's going on a junket to China in the autumn. Problem solved. I remember having a long discussion with him years ago when I was having difficulty with quotas and he telling me how good they were. Well fair play he doesn't seem to be a man afraid to change his mind.

The good news is one of the UK processors has announced a milk price increase. Fingers crossed.

We shouldn’t look backwards at a quota regime – Minister Creed @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/we-shouldnt-look-backwards-at-a-quota-regime-minister-creed/

His latest brainwave is a cashflow budget manual for all us mathematically challanged dairy farmers, seems it's not the co-ops fault we are in the red, simply not managing our cash - flow correctly haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    His latest brainwave is a cashflow budget manual for all us mathematically challanged dairy farmers, seems it's not the co-ops fault we are in the red, simply not managing our cash - flow correctly haha

Ask him to fill it in for you....he'll have your profit monitor at hand to guide him. ..

Pretty condescending to say the least.

• Advertisement

Pretty condescending to say the least.

Theirs a seriously skewed line been towed by this excuse for a minister, first of all lauding the lowest paying co-op in the country and been a extra in a promo video for a scheme that's seriously iffy to say the least and then instead of coming out with something constructive from this dairy forum he decides to lecture lads about cash - flow.....
    Still was harping on about 2020 and how all this extra milk and will benefit the wider economy but the lad pulling tits seems to be a after thought, seen bord bia predict that only around 35,000 cows will be culled extra this year from the dairy herd I reckon 100,000 will be a closer figure can see lads taking a knife to their herds in the back - end simply trying to get cash in as milk cheques get smaller and smaller might be the wake - up call the suits need to start paying for milk

Does anyone know who makes up the so called experts on the dairy forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Theirs a seriously skewed line been towed by this excuse for a minister, first of all lauding the lowest paying co-op in the country and been a extra in a promo video for a scheme that's seriously iffy to say the least and then instead of coming out with something constructive from this dairy forum he decides to lecture lads about cash - flow.....
    Still was harping on about 2020 and how all this extra milk and how it will benefit the wider economy but the lad pulling tits seems to be a after thought, seen bord bia predict that only around 35,000 cows will be culled extra this year from the dairy herd I reckon 100,000 will be a closer figure can see lads taking a knife to their herds in the back - end simply trying to get cash in as milk cheques get smaller and smaller might be the wake - up call the suits need to start paying for milk

Agree with you.
    But don't believe the big cull will happen. There will be more cows culled because there's more cows being Milked. More heifers will calf down next spring than ever before. Paddy won't reduce numbers. Pride and one cent margins will make it worthwhile.

Does anyone know who makes up the so called experts on the dairy forum?
    Are you on it? :)

Are you on it? :)

Sure just I didn't catch the other guys names and I recognise alot of the faces. Getting embarrassing and just driving me a bit mad now . I'd love to know what we are being paid too? Was asleep when they spoke about that. Not sure who's idea it was to issue every farmer with a bean counter? Missed that part as well. For some reason they all seem to love me. I think they might even make me chairman. I really must find out their names. I can't really refer to someone as "yourman with the cheap suit". I suppose I could but it could get very confusing. Must say I love my new job. I'm able to catch up on a lot of sleep.

My proposal for the next meeting is that we should issue a booklet to every farmer explaining the virtues of fasting and a sort dvd on how to dodge someone you owe money to.

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Agree with you.
    But don't believe the big cull will happen. There will be more cows culled because there's more cows being Milked. More heifers will calf down next spring than ever before. Paddy won't reduce numbers. Pride and one cent margins will make it worthwhile.

Pride won't pay the bills, coming into the spring next year their is going to be savage pressure put on cash flow, if guys have their limits reached/maxed out, how are they going to carry more numbers into the spring and fund meal/fert for these ladies......
    I'd say all merchants/co-ops will be very tetchy about extending credit limits, if nice bills have been run-up on the back of this year and farmers are slow about clearing them/getting them under control they might stop credit in some cases

Pride won't pay the bills, coming into the spring next year their is going to be savage pressure put on cash flow, if guys have their limits reached/maxed out, how are they going to carry more numbers into the spring and fund meal/fert for these ladies......
    I'd say all merchants/co-ops will be very tetchy about extending credit limits, if nice bills have been run-up on the back of this year and farmers are slow about clearing them/getting them under control they might stop credit in some cases
    The main thing to do is to write down each month what you owe and what you can pay. Let the people you owe money to know what the story is that you will pay eventually , even giving them a small bit every month is better than nothing. This crack of avoiding salesmen does you no good in the end. If you dont want to talk to them let them know by text/email.

The main thing to do is to write down each month what you owe and what you can pay. Let the people you owe money to know what the story is that you will pay eventually , even giving them a small bit every month is better than nothing. This crack of avoiding salesmen does you no good in the end. If you dont want to talk to them let them know by text/email.

Totally agree with you.

Very hard to quantify, but it's not just sales men and merchants that could be effected. The list is endless. Contractors, vets,accountants, contract rearers, people with land let to dairy farmers, tillage farmers supplying straw. The implications to the wider rural economy could be very serious.

I am not convinced some still understand how potentially serious? The banks were bailed out because they were considered too important to the economy. The question now is. How important are dairy farmers to the economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Agree with whelan2 on what to do

Our favourite 'co op /plc' by the way is already seizing entire milk cheques even in cases where they are talking to the customer's
    Thats not helping matters

OverRide wrote: »
    Agree with whelan2 on what to do

Our favourite 'co op /plc' by the way is already seizing entire milk cheques even in cases where they are talking to the customer's
    Thats not helping matters

That was happening as far back as last July with another big co op. I must say credit where credit is due. I did a bit of trading with Arrabawn and was pleasantly surprised that they had the courtesy the give me a call to ask was it OK to take money from the May cheque. A bit of understanding goes a long way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That was happening as far back as last July with another big co op. I must say credit where credit is due. I did a bit of trading with Arrabawn and was pleasantly surprised that they had the courtesy the give me a call to ask was it OK to take money from the May cheque. A bit of understanding goes a long way.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/44583716.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

OverRide wrote:
    Our favourite 'co op /plc' by the way is already seizing entire milk cheques even in cases where they are talking to the customer's Thats not helping matters

In 2009 1 month I got no milk cheque luckily I had plenty of culls to sell at a good price. Ppl won't even have that this year. Eradication of quotas effected not only milk price but cow beef price.

blue5000 wrote: »

Blue I fail to see how I have offended you? I'm sure I'm entitled to share my experiences on here just the same as everyone else. Milk price is crap at the moment. I'm sorry but that is not of my doing. I have no idea what amount of private messaging has been going on here trying to band people with views that one might not agree with as some kind of conspiracy theorists. I can assure you if I was to post anything on here that was untrue. It would be removed pretty quickly. My intension is certainly not to offend you or anyone else. But I do think I have a right to freedom of opinion. Normally your posts are well balanced. Not sure what promoted you to making that outburst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Blue I fail to see how I have offended you? I'm sure I'm entitled to share my experiences on here just the same as everyone else. Milk price is crap at the moment. I'm sorry but that is not of my doing. I have no idea what amount of private messaging has been going on here trying to band people with views that one might not agree with as some kind of conspiracy theorists. I can assure you if I was to post anything on here that was untrue. It would be removed pretty quickly. My intension is certainly not to offend you or anyone else. But I do think I have a right to freedom of opinion. Normally your posts are well balanced. Not sure what promoted you to making that outburst.

Eh ??? Hes referring to the co op not you
    He used say feck off when they took a milk cheque,now he says thats nice (sarcasticly) like mrs brown would

I really think,when things are misunderstood that badly its time to take a break from reading here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement