Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

About 1 in 5 have a superlevy. Milk processors said milk on. Wonder they aren't now contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    About 1 in 5 have a superlevy. Milk processors said milk on. Wonder they aren't now contributing.
    when has the levy to be paid by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan2 wrote:
    when has the levy to be paid by?

I'm finished September next year, was talking of stalling it but Europe disagreed. Very annoying extra loan but hey I can blame anyone but myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Lads on here have been giving out about the price etc and the board members that we elect onto the committees.well my co-op agm is on right now and one of the said committee members is sleeping soundly in the room! .the future is bright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Lads on here have been giving out about the price etc and the board members that we elect onto the committees.well my co-op agm is on right now and one of the said committee members is sleeping soundly in the room! .the future is bright

I hope you have your phone on silent. He might not be happy if you wake him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm finished September next year, was talking of stalling it but Europe disagreed. Very annoying extra loan but hey I can blame anyone but myself!

It's an absolute killer atm Kev ,luckily not a problem I have but I know a few in same boat as yourself and one with quite a substantial burden .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Farmer Ed wrote:
    That is an excellent question. If a bank can give a farmer a mortgage at 3% to build a sun room on to his house why do they charge 5.5% and more for secured farm loans?. Much easier to force a farmer to sell land than force him sell his home. If anything the farm loan is more secure.

Farmers loans live in the business part of the banks book, with an interest rate reflecting risk of business in general, notwithstanding the very high level of security available.

Consumer type house mortgages + loans are another thing altogether, realistically lent against future income barring major disasters.

Competition and ability to securitise the loan book (so the bank can borrow against it) are all factors, but the sad truth is that the only reason banks will ever want to learn about farming is to make better adverts targeted at farmers...from a bankers point of view it's not a business with sufficient free cashflow to lend to absent a fat great land charge and once you've got that in your safe there is no need to worry yourself with the nitty gritty details of whether it's making money this year or next.

kowtow wrote: »
    Farmers loans live in the business part of the banks book, with an interest rate reflecting risk of business in general, notwithstanding the very high level of security available.

Consumer type house mortgages + loans are another thing altogether, realistically lent against future income barring major disasters.

Competition and ability to securitise the loan book (so the bank can borrow against it) are all factors, but the sad truth is that the only reason banks will ever want to learn about farming is to make better adverts targeted at farmers...from a bankers point of view it's not a business with sufficient free cashflow to lend to absent a fat great land charge and once you've got that in your safe there is no need to worry yourself with the nitty gritty details of whether it's making money this year or next.

You could make the case that farming has a much better loan to value ratio than business and are a much more secure loan for the banks. A business could have millions of a turnover out of a rented building. Generally farmers have to give the deeds of their farms as security and as such could and IMO, should make the case for mortgage rates. It's something that never seems to have been made a major issue of by the farm organisations either in fairness. I suppose you can't blame the banks for charging as much as they can get away with.

http://www.thatsfarming.com/news/cashflow-tool-dairy-farmers

No matter how many times you read this or no matter what news agency reports on this. It it just hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    http://www.thatsfarming.com/news/cashflow-tool-dairy-farmers

No matter how many times you read this or no matter what news agency reports on this. It it just hard to believe.

Let them eat cake.

Talk about insulting people's intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

mf240 wrote: »
    Let them eat cake.

It's just a cash flow budget, don't see how it's insulting people's intelligence. Some people might get some benefit from it, if they are unsure how to do one. If you are in difficultly you will need to have something prepared for the bank before you go and talk to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Let them eat cake.

They've trained us all to lose money, now they are going to teach us to work out how much we've got left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

yewtree wrote: »
    It's just a cash flow budget, don't see how it's insulting people's intelligence. Some people might get some benefit from it, if they are unsure how to do one. If you are in difficultly you will need to have something prepared for the bank before you go and talk to them

So now we need a minister to announce a cashflow planner????? If you are in difficulty, real difficulty you'll be paying enough pro's to get a different cashflow plan for every meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

So now we need a minister to announce a cashflow planner????? If you are in difficulty, real difficulty you'll be paying enough pro's to get a different cashflow plan for every meeting.

My point hasn't anything to do with the minister

I don't understand the second part of the post
    All I am saying is doing a cash flow can help some farmers come up with a plan, people often ignore problems until it becomes bigger and much harder to deal with. If the material sent out to farmers helps some of them do a cash flow and get a plan in place then I think it's a good thing.

It's wrong to think just because you won't find something useful other farmers won't get a benefit from it.

I think what most people find upsetting is you now have another quango largely made up of co op executives, most of whom possibly understand what it is like to struggle to pay bills. Coming out with a plan the advice the stupid dump farmers how best to tighten their belts. These are the very same people who led us blindly in to over investing in dairying both on and off farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Let them eat cake.

Using our agribudget to buy and store SMP is a fair insult to all farmers too.
    Might as well be throwing billions of euros in the fire,
    Has no one got their head around supply and demand, never mind cash flow planning

I think what most people find upsetting is you now have another quango largely made up of co op executives, most of whom possibly understand what it is like to struggle to pay bills. Coming out with a plan the advice the stupid dump farmers how best to tighten their belts. These are the very same people who led us blindly in to over investing in dairying both on and off farm.

When I heard bergin was supposed to be on the committee that was enough for me how does he have any idea what it's like on farm level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    When I heard bergin was supposed to be on the committee that was enough for me how does he have any idea what it's like on farm level

From the list of names the people on that fourm earnings under 300k a year would be in a very small minority. A lot they'd know about having to budget. Creed himself sold the cow's and let the farm and quota as soon as he inherited the farm. I can't blame him for that. It was absolutely the correct decision. But would he please stop patronising the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The diff in the IFJ for a supplier of 600,000 litres stands at about €14/15K/yr.
    Its about 2.5c/ltr. For old guys its between 11 and 12 cent a gallon.
    That is shocking. Don't think its farmers that need to fill those profit and cash flow monitors.

https://keithwoodford.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/shocks-versus-structural-change-is-the-big-dairy-question/

Very interesting article from Nz with a reference to ireland in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

In the case of skim milk powder (SMP), the surplus is in part a by-product of increased global demand for butter. As a consequence, the Europeans have put about 250,000 tonnes of SMP into store (public and private), with more still pouring in. And thank goodness they have done so, or else SMP prices would have crashed much lower.

Here in New Zealand, we produce about 400,000 tonnes of SMP every year, which goes into the same markets as does European SMP. So in the short term, the European storage has been a blessing for every New Zealand famer. My best estimate is that this storage of SMP is currently buttressing the overall payout to New Zealand farmers by about 30c per kg milksolids, although the precise numbers are debatable. Unfortunately, all of this European SMP will still have to come back on the market eventually.

Own goal for us ha?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Own goal for us ha?

Looks a bit like it. Maybe the real mistake for us is trying to play In the same league as Nz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Irish expects led a lot of people to believe there was gold in milk also. If I remember correctly they were referring to it as white gold.

An Indian guy told me a while back that cow urine is a great cure for alcohol and smoking addictions. I suppose given the choice I could see how it could motivate a person to give up.

Irish expects led a lot of people to believe there was gold in milk also. If I remember correctly they were referring to it as white gold.

An Indian guy told me a while back that cow urine is a great cure for alcohol and smoking addictions. I suppose given the choice I could see how it could motivate a person to give up.

There's an ad in the IFJ looking for a farm manager, 350 cows increasing to 500 in 3 years......... lucky that there isn't a surplus of milk
    You couldn't make it up

• Advertisement

Hope Rangler that its a permanent job?

I can't understand the politics of this? We have to boycott the Russians but we are falling over ourselves to do business with these guys? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-kills-millions-of-innocent-meditators-for-their-organs-report-finds-a7107091.html

I can't understand the politics of this? We have to boycott the Russians but we are falling over ourselves to do business with these guys? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-kills-millions-of-innocent-meditators-for-their-organs-report-finds-a7107091.html

the-chinese-a-great-bunch-of-lads.jpg

The ironic thing is that probably is as far as most Irish people's opinion of the Chinese goes ha.

the-chinese-a-great-bunch-of-lads.jpg

The ironic thing is that probably is as far as most Irish people's opinion of the Chinese goes ha.

I'm sure they are a great bunch of lads and so are the Russians. Just why do we have to boycott the Russians and not the Chineese? I'm not trying to be smart but seeing as it is apparently effecting the price we get paid for milk? Why are the Russians considered worse than the Chinese?

I'm sure they are a great bunch of lads and so are the Russians. Just why do we have to boycott the Russians and not the Chineese? I'm not trying to be smart but seeing as it is apparently effecting the price we get paid for milk? Why are the Russians considered worse than the Chinese?

It's the Russians who have boycotted us. And they are on the road down to self sustainably for food now. But agreed fully, stories like you quoted are scary altogether, however when there is a trade deal and mega bucks on the table all morals seem to go out the window.

It's the Russians who have boycotted us. And they are on the road down to self sustainably for food now. But agreed fully, stories like you quoted are scary altogether, however when there is a trade deal and mega bucks on the table all morals seem to go out the window.

I thought the Eu stopped buying something from them first then they stopped buying dairy produce from us and we got punished for something that had nothing to do with us? From what is reported you are correct and we have shot ourselves in the foot as they are reportedly becoming self sefichant.

• Advertisement

http://althealthworks.com/4730/does-kerrygold-grass-fed-irish-butter-contain-gmos-and-should-you-put-it-in-your-coffee/

Interesting how the use of Gm feed is being questioned. Do we have an alternative? And at what cost? Certainly kerrygold looks like a brand worth protecting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

rangler1 wrote: »
    There's an ad in the IFJ looking for a farm manager, 350 cows increasing to 500 in 3 years......... lucky that there isn't a surplus of milk
    You couldn't make it up

You looking for a job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

looks like milk price is on the way up over in the uk spot price running at over 25p a litre and cream skyrocketing, some of the coops already play some dirty tactics such as droping b litre which have been linked to the price of the spot market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

trixi2011 wrote: »
    looks like milk price is on the way up over in the uk spot price running at over 25p a litre and cream skyrocketing, some of the coops already play some dirty tactics such as droping b litre which have been linked to the price of the spot market.

How much of that lift is currency related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

How much of that lift is currency related?

Crops jumped up 5-10£ ton across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Im sure some of it is due to the drop in the pound but also production is well down on the last few years. Something like 1million litres a day down and falling. Imprts of milk and produce from ireland are more expencive with the currency were it is leading to supermarkets buying more british products

Gone fierce quiet here lately..

There is normally a lull for a few days between getting milk cheque and price being announced for the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farming&forestery on boards in general has gone very quite .with so many after signing off from here u could come back every few days and not of missed much

Is dawg still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

mahoney_j wrote:
    Farming&forestery on boards in general has gone very quite .with so many after signing off from here u could come back every few days and not of missed much

Too much moaning on here now. Before when you looked at the milk price thread it had your milk price and coop base price. Now it's all these long posts with people just waffling. Quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Everyone's off on holidays :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Is dawg still here?

Just gone to get my head examined...back soon.

You looking for a job ?

Very funny, but the joke's milk production at the moment.
    Producing milk powder to fill stores, lets plan expansion.
    And belittle the govt for not facilitating it.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense does it,

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Too much moaning on here now. Before when you looked at the milk price thread it had your milk price and coop base price. Now it's all these long posts with people just waffling. Quite annoying.
    I dont read essay's . Most stuff can normally be posted in short to the point posts

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement