Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I see rabbo an are predicting slow rise in 17, jes they're 2 years back on their last prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Milk markets have bottomed out and price stabilised ,stable price for rest of year and rise to come early 2017 but don't expect anywhere near 40 c .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Milk markets have bottomed out and price stabilised ,stable price for rest of year and rise to come early 2017 but don't expect anywhere near 40 c .

Where do I bring this post to cash it.

I hope you're right mj. I think you might be. The mood music seems to be changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I hope you're right mj. I think you might be. The mood music seems to be changing.
    Any indication on June milk price, surely they cant drop anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Best thing to cure low prices are low prices

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Best thing to cure low prices are low prices

Sure thats not getting intervention to save the day, after supposedly being set free :confused::rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/milk-category-dairy-takes-gold/nrsGC/

Now that's where milk should be in the scheme of things, an elite product.
    Recently, I was thirsty and picked up a 500ml bottle of 7 up Free, cost was €1.75. This did not even have sugar. If I had gone to Lidl I could have bought 2ltrs for about €1.40 low fat milk, or about €.35 cent for the 500ml.
    That's really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Water John wrote: »
    http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/milk-category-dairy-takes-gold/nrsGC/

Now that's where milk should be in the scheme of things, an elite product.
    Recently, I was thirsty and picked up a 500ml bottle of 7 up Free, cost was €1.75. This did not even have sugar. If I had gone to Lidl I could have bought 2ltrs for about €1.40 low fat milk, or about €.35 cent for the 500ml.
    That's really sad.

7up has a massive marketing budget to convince people to drink it. The marketing behind milk and any other dairy product in Ireland is horrific. I know plenty of people who dont drink milk as they either think Dairy Farming is super cruel or that milk is full of artificial chemicals and hormones.

I know this seems mad, but a lot of people growing up in cities have never been to a farm. I have Dublin friends who are vegetarians as they think farms are cruel, as all they know about farms is seeing big massive 50,000 acre ones in Texas that you see on the TV or some PETA propaganda film on youtube. Very few non-farmers seem to understand that most Irish farms are pretty tiny compared to other countries farms and that most Farmers adore their animals.

More needs to be done by milk/meat companies in Ireland to address concerns that consumers have over animal welfare/product quality. Instead of having 30 seconds of drink whatever generic brand of milk, show 30 seconds of an actual typical dairy farm or that Irish milk is not American milk and not full of chemicals/hormones.

If Irish milk was marketed properly like 7up. People will pay a higher price. Germans have been so heavily marketed to by the Kerry group for the last 30 years, that Kerrygold is the no 1 butter in Germany and Germans pay almost twice as much for Kerrygold as other Butters. I have been to the cheapest of cheap supermarkets in Germany, where there is literally no brand names. Yet there is a package of Kerrygold somewhere in the fridges and low income people are buying it.

Lots in what you say New. Just to point out that The Kerrygold brand is owned by Ornua (Irish Dairy Board) not Kerry Group. The Kerry Group ironically own Dairygold the best selling spread on the Irish market. Can be confusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

newacc2015 wrote: »
    7up has a massive marketing budget to convince people to drink it. The marketing behind milk and any other dairy product in Ireland is horrific. I know plenty of people who dont drink milk as they either think Dairy Farming is super cruel or that milk is full of artificial chemicals and hormones.

I know this seems mad, but a lot of people growing up in cities have never been to a farm. I have Dublin friends who are vegetarians as they think farms are cruel, as all they know about farms is seeing big massive 50,000 acre ones in Texas that you see on the TV or some PETA propaganda film on youtube. Very few non-farmers seem to understand that most Irish farms are pretty tiny compared to other countries farms and that most Farmers adore their animals.

More needs to be done by milk/meat companies in Ireland to address concerns that consumers have over animal welfare/product quality. Instead of having 30 seconds of drink whatever generic brand of milk, show 30 seconds of an actual typical dairy farm or that Irish milk is not American milk and not full of chemicals/hormones.

If Irish milk was marketed properly like 7up. People will pay a higher price. Germans have been so heavily marketed to by the Kerry group for the last 30 years, that Kerrygold is the no 1 butter in Germany and Germans pay almost twice as much for Kerrygold as other Butters. I have been to the cheapest of cheap supermarkets in Germany, where there is literally no brand names. Yet there is a package of Kerrygold somewhere in the fridges and low income people are buying it.

You are correct apart from the owner of the brand but yes very confusing.

I honestly think with German retailers going down the GM free dairy route we could be in trouble if we don't address it. Far bigger issue than filling up forms and quality assurance but we are burying our heads in the sand.

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    You are correct apart from the owner of the brand but yes very confusing.

I honestly think with German retailers going down the GM free dairy route we could be in trouble if we don't address it. Far bigger issue than filling up forms and quality assurance but we are burying our heads in the sand.
    Alot of schools dont do school milk anymore and this needs to be addressed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

whelan2 wrote: »
    Alot of schools dont do school milk anymore and this needs to be addressed too.

Surely money would be better spent on education in schools than food.....there's very few hungry nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

rangler1 wrote: »
    Surely money would be better spent on education in schools than food.....there's very few hungry nowadays

Don't agree....and so many kids go to school without breakfast......and the level of understanding about nutrition is abysmal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

At a dinner one night back in the day that our marketing departments felt it correct to advertise milk with "Full Fat Milk" on the Carton. ...All it signaled to the consumer was don't buy me..

Anyway, conversation got on to Milk and it's health benefits or otherwise and I put the question to the group as to how much fat they thought was in the milk...

The answers ranged from 40 to 80%

I asked them would they buy milk if it was 96.5% fat free?

Of course they would...

The problem with everyone thinking milk is full of hormones ect is largely coming from articles written in the US. We really need to educate the public and not just in ireland that we don't use hormones. We need to protect our image big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

rangler1 wrote:

"There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into babies" - Winston Churchill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kowtow wrote: »
    "There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into babies" - Winston Churchill

50c/child/day would pay for a lot of extra teachers, 95%+ of families are well able to pay for their own milk and not take my taxes

Must look up the figures but I wonder whether milk consumption went downhill when they started homogenisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

alps wrote: »
    At a dinner one night back in the day that our marketing departments felt it correct to advertise milk with "Full Fat Milk" on the Carton. ...All it signaled to the consumer was don't buy me..

Anyway, conversation got on to Milk and it's health benefits or otherwise and I put the question to the group as to how much fat they thought was in the milk...

The answers ranged from 40 to 80%

I asked them would they buy milk if it was 96.5% fat free?

Of course they would...

Americans call milk by the percentage of fat as milk is as you said pretty low fat. Fat is a horrible word even if it is low fat. 2% Milk is far better than low fat milk. America markets the health benefits of milk etc. Yet all most companies market on here is either being locally produced or Ireland's favourite milk. Both tell consumers nothing about the product or the quality of it.

When Donegal Investment group which is a tiny PLC worth €55m versus Kerry Group market cap of over €13bn has better advertising and brand packaging you know there is something serious wrong with marketing by food processor in Ireland. It is not a Irish problem by any mean. American and other European food processors are having similar issues.

But it is just lazy competing for market share purely on price, when most consumers dont care about the price of milk. Milk is a staple. You arent going to stop buying it as it is 85c instead of 75c

• Advertisement

But it is just lazy competing for market share purely on price, when most consumers dont care about the price of milk. Milk is a staple. You arent going to stop buying it as it is 85c instead of 75c

You wouldn't think that the price of milk has a big impact on willingness to buy, but it has always been an item of prime importance in the supermarket.

The reason the dairy shelves are at the back of the store is that people have to pass all the high value high margin processed foods in order to get at the bottle of milk they came in for... that is where the money is made.

Look carefully in a big supermarket with a tiled floor and you'll see that in the aisles with the highest margin goods the floor tiles are narrower than the rest of the store. People navigate their trolleys by the sound and feel of the grout line between the tiles (the bump... bump... bump...) and when the tiles get closer together they instinctively slow down, giving them more time to look at all those processed, high value, high profit margin goods the retailer wants them to buy on the way to that bottle of milk.

Using milk as a loss leader to sell a trolley full is the oldest trick in the book, but to be fair supermarkets are well able to subsidise that loss themselves without making farmers pick it up. No reason why farmers should contribute to the marketing costs of the multiples.

On the other hand - I know that in the UK at least there was some legislation discussed which attempted to restrict the use of loss leaders. It is just possible (have never looked into it) that doing this would effectively force the loss from the supermarket on to the farmer - another example of unintended consequences of well meaning legislation.

In Switzerland as a matter of corporate policy even large supermarkets carry local dairy goods (very local, i.e. the village they are in) alongside the national branded products on the shelves. I have often been told that UK stores can't do this due to logistics, but if Migros or CoOp can manage to do it 1200 metres up an Alp which is covered in six feet of snow for five months a year I really don't see why Tesco or Sainsbury can't...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

just seen glanbia announces increase to milk price for July☺. Trouble is it's in the UK😕

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

moneyheer wrote: »
    just seen glanbia announces increase to milk price for July☺. Trouble is it's in the UK😕

Any chance we could even hold the price here, glanbia and milk price increase doesnt appear in the same sentence too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Had row with lads who are from country side but non farming. They wouldn't believe me that milk was only 5 % fat. I remember getting milk at school, tbh honest I didn't drink it because I was used to drinking stuff outta the tank!

Going back to advertising where is the funding gonna come from? All another mysterious levy on the milk cheque? Talk about a charity regulator, these 'boards' we're paying into should be looked into aswell

Any chance we could even hold the price here, glanbia and milk price increase doesnt appear in the same sentence too often.

Must be 2 years at least since they announced a price rise. Would it be?

Vista, standard shop milk is 3.5% fat. Low fat milk comes in at 1.5%.
    The word 'fat' doesn't deserve to be in the title of either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

visatorro wrote: »
    Talk about a charity regulator, these 'boards' we're paying into should be looked into aswell

Every one of them should be back on their 2014 income index linked to the 2014 milk price which at the moment would have their take at around half what they got in 2014 instead of being 20% or so higher purely because we are working harder. The farm organisations better make sure not to waste this crisis. Most of them claim to be working to ensure a better return for us, we need to make their earnings performance related.

Every one of them should be back on their 2014 income index linked to the 2014 milk price which at the moment would have their take at around half what they got in 2014 instead of being 20% or so higher purely because we are working harder. The farm organisations better make sure not to waste this crisis. Most of them claim to be working to ensure a better return for us, we need to make their earnings performance related.

I don't think that's going to work - Quangos aren't "sustainable" in the way dairy farmers are - they need actual cash to survive.

We should count ourselves lucky that we can prosper with only a bite of green grass and the warm breath of the cows to keep the cold out at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Must be 2 years at least since they announced a price rise. Would it be?

Its almost that lenght now. Maybe im being a bit unfair but they always seem to be the first to lead the price down and the last to increase it.

Its almost that lenght now. Maybe im being a bit unfair but they always seem to be the first to lead the price down and the last to increase it.

Oh no that was always Arrabawn but in fairness that appears to have changed

Oh no that was always Arrabawn but in fairness that appears to have changed

Dont want to be accused of having an agenda but we all know who leads the price now days and it not the smaller Co ops. I spoke to a woman from nz today and they are getting pretty fed up with the way things over there with fonterra. One thing she said that I found interesting and was not reported here is that some guy way being prosecuted for creating a false scare about milk powder being deliberately poisoned. Apparently had a very negative effect on markets. Also she told me that water quality is becoming a big issue there. With dairying being blamed. She also said that the government had to put restrictive measures in place to stop the Chinese buying up too much land. She told me how some farmers are even diversifying in to deer and alpacas. If the Nz model isn't even working in NZ. It will hardly work here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Dont want to be accused of having an agenda but we all know who leads the price now days and it not the smaller Co ops. I spoke to a woman from nz today and they are getting pretty fed up with the way things over there with fonterra. One thing she said that I found interesting and was not reported here is that some guy way being prosecuted for creating a false scare about milk powder being deliberately poisoned. Apparently had a very negative effect on markets. Also she told me that water quality is becoming a big issue there. With dairying being blamed. She also said that the government had to put restrictive measures in place to stop the Chinese buying up too much land. She told me how some farmers are even diversifying in to deer and alpacas. If the Nz model isn't even working in NZ. It will hardly work here?

Its going to be intresting heading into the autumn re milk price, milk supplies are going to be well back on last year due to a combination of a crap price and what seems likely to be not as kind as a back-end as the last two years...
    With lads pulling back on feed and supplies way down could Glanbia throw out a carrot maybe offering a guaranteed few cent extra for oct-nov-dec-jan milk surely they have certain high value products that they pay more for rather then leaving the likes of a 180 million euro plant like belview idle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The wexford ifa co exec meeting is on tomorrow at 8.30 in farm centre enniscorthy.
    Guest speakers livestock chairman angus woods and glanbia board members for anyone who's interested.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The wexford ifa co exec meeting is on tomorrow at 8.30 in farm centre enniscorthy.
    Guest speakers livestock chairman angus woods and glanbia board members for anyone who's interested.
    Are you going?

moneyheer wrote: »

There's some very big farms supplying glanbia that have quit dairying in wales.
    There was one farm milking 700 cows that got out about a month ago.

Are you going?

Probably will.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes if you go? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Its going to be intresting heading into the autumn re milk price, milk supplies are going to be well back on last year due to a combination of a crap price and what seems likely to be not as kind as a back-end as the last two years...
    With lads pulling back on feed and supplies way down could Glanbia throw out a carrot maybe offering a guaranteed few cent extra for oct-nov-dec-jan milk surely they have certain high value products that they pay more for rather then leaving the likes of a 180 million euro plant like belview idle

They won't need to Jay. Cash starved farmers will take the few quid for cash flow. Next year could be worse for dairy...think of all that product in storage.

Let us know how it goes if you go? Thanks

I don't want to be the only one there.
    If there's any wexford lads or lassies reading this I may or may not put up how it went. I may just pm a few here.
    If you have any questions go now and get them answered and find out for yourselves.
    Pedigree 6.

Dawggone wrote: »
    They won't need to Jay. Cash starved farmers will take the few quid for cash flow. Next year could be worse for dairy...think of all that product in storage.

They might take the other option either and cull all late calvers,and take a knife to the herd; just have to look across the water to see where Irish lads will be next year, milk production falling of a cliff and processors starting to threaten suppliers with tearing up contracts who aren't sending in enough milk because spot market has gone to 25 plus pence and they can't cream cheap distressed milk anymore.....
    Also have to factor in the high ebi cow alot of lads have doesn't really lend itself to winter milk simply not economical milking on these ladies doing 10-12 litres really is a waste of time and money

They might take the other option either and cull all late calvers,and take a knife to the herd; just have to look across the water to see where Irish lads will be next year, milk production falling of a cliff and processors starting to threaten suppliers with tearing up contracts who aren't sending in enough milk because spot market has gone to 25 plus pence and they can't cream cheap distressed milk anymore.....
    Also have to factor in the high ebi cow alot of lads have doesn't really lend itself to winter milk simply not economical milking on these ladies doing 10-12 litres really is a waste of time and money

Fair enough...but are you factoring in the 'resilience' of the Irish dairy farmer?
    Something tells me Glanbia are.
    Can't see Irish farmers taking a knife to the herd, even though it might be the smart thing to do...goes against the last few years hype.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    Fair enough...but are you factoring in the 'resilience' of the Irish dairy farmer?
    Something tells me Glanbia are.
    Can't see Irish farmers taking a knife to the herd, even though it might be the smart thing to do...goes against the last few years hype.

The mood out their at the minute isn't good, alot of feed up lads wondering what's the point, it's not been discussed enough but their are a lot of trading accounts in very bad shape massive bills after been ran up and very little effort been made to get them in check.....
    The fact July milk supplies will be below/only on par with last year's levels and a extra 80,000 odd cows in the country tells it's own story everyone is working of a shoestring budget and hoping for the best, chatting concrete supplier and a fairly big builder who specialise in agri buildings at a wedding at the weekend and noting is going on, the only guys who seem to be ploughing ahead around here are milking 100's of cows and seem to be going for broke hoping that milk rebounds quickly next year

The mood out their at the minute isn't good, alot of feed up lads wondering what's the point, it's not been discussed enough but their are a lot of trading accounts in very bad shape massive bills after been ran up and very little effort been made to get them in check.....
    The fact July milk supplies will be below/only on par with last year's levels and a extra 80,000 odd cows in the country tells it's own story everyone is working of a shoestring budget and hoping for the best, chatting concrete supplier and a fairly big builder who specialise in agri buildings at a wedding at the weekend and noting is going on, the only guys who seem to be ploughing ahead around here are milking 100's of cows and seem to be going for broke hoping that milk rebounds quickly next year

My oh my.
    Sigh...bit of a mess then.

Ffs no wonder so many have left this place ,I'm nearly getting depressed just after reading those last few posts yer talking of lads moaning ,whinging bla bla bla re milk price and trading accounts .thankfully I ain't mixing with the same people

Ffs no wonder so many have left this place ,I'm nearly getting depressed just after reading those last few posts yer talking of lads moaning ,whinging bla bla bla re milk price and trading accounts .thankfully I ain't mixing with the same people
    At least if people are venting they are getting it out of their system. People in real life dont understand how much pressure some people are under at the minute

Jaysus jay thank god I'm nor living or listening to anyone with the attitude you've posted there lots of lads around here with polar opposite attitude ,not whinging ,botching ,moaning ,one started digging out a tank this am another put in new water system last week I could go on ......

What's the alternative been away with fairies in a big happy bubble thinking everything is going to be fine, mixing with people with positive frame of minds is great, but it's pretty deluded to think a certain % of guys aren't in serious trouble at the minute and in pretty dark places

What's the alternative been away with fairies in a big happy bubble thinking everything is going to be fine, mixing with people with positive frame of minds is great, but it's pretty deluded to think a certain % of guys aren't in serious trouble at the minute and in pretty dark places

With a good plan lads will be fine ,without well they'll be as u outlined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

With a good plan lads will be fine ,without well they'll be as u outlined

With the price of milk on the floor most plans have evaporated , now lads have to slog on to hopefully see a turnaround

In fairness Mahoney not everybody is obviously in hippy-hoppy-Lala-dairy-land!

You should try tillage...

Question. Is your OH a CS?

Question. Do you have any (free) family labour?

If the answer to any or both of the above is yes...then good on ya!

Don't get me wrong here Mahoney, I predicted this, here on boards.ie, three years ago...there will be casualties. Sadly.

I'm so gung-ho my health suffers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

There is a huge difference in how people are reacting. At our DG last week lads were realistic but everyone was intending to be milking next year and most had a plan on how to get by. It did me the world of good listening to lads with a positive outlook and solutions. Without doubt it's putting people under pressure but there are options and in fairness it's very rare to see anyone going under.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement