Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

jaymla627 wrote:
    Seems to be a whole lot of noting again like the last dairy package, probably will be another flat rate payment gave out similar to last time, at least alot of lads will get back some of their superlevy fine

Very vague, anyone idea what it will be worth and will it be based on our supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mahoney_j wrote: »
    25.45 at 3.87 fat 3.49'p .base 23.68 and top up for scc 0.2 cent/litre .so 23.88 plus solids for me

24.206 net at 3.86 fat and 3.44 protein scc 124 nothing fixed and .4c/l scc bonus included.

Deductions. 06c bovine disease, .36c dairy research, .1c inspection levy, .07c NDC levy.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Very vague, anyone idea what it will be worth and will it be based on our supply?

Nothing decided on how to pay it yet but probably same as last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

If its a flat rate per dairy farmer, it works out at approx €600

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Aurivo hold milk price at 22 cent, no bonus for scc/tbc available. Protein bonus of .22 cent for every .1 protein % is above the coop average proein. bottom of milk price league last month so always likely they would hold this month

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

protein 3.37, bf 4.04 base price 23.00 plus quality bonus ie .25 cent a litre for tbc under 10, .25 cent litre for scc under 20000 . plus the vat . my price was 25 .849 cent a litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    25.45 at 3.87 fat 3.49'p .base 23.68 and top up for scc 0.2 cent/litre .so 23.88 plus solids for me

-5c/ltr from june '15, solids slightly lower but yields up & less/cheaper meal fed, eventhough we were in drought conditions for a week, (just happened to have the wrong paddocks in rotation @ the end of the dry spell)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

24.206 net at 3.86 fat and 3.44 protein scc 124 nothing fixed and .4c/l scc bonus included.

Deductions. 06c bovine disease, .36c dairy research, .1c inspection levy, .07c NDC levy.

So north of twenty million for dairy research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Kerry milk supillier
    Protien 3.54
    Bfat 3.89
    Scc 156
    Milk price recieved 27.342c
    30%fixed
    All spring calving
    without fixed price 25.182c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would ye reckon many cuts left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Would ye reckon many cuts left?

hopefully not Kev, holding for the peak months is a good omen imo, recovery will be very slow though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

So north of twenty million for dairy research.

It's crazy and we never see a return....I see more company cars everytime I pass Teagasc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

If its a flat rate per dairy farmer, it works out at approx €600

That's not enough for a ski trip....maybe Parknasilla for a few days with the OH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

alps wrote: »
    That's not enough for a ski trip....maybe Parknasilla for a few days with the OH....

Twas 700+ in January and topped up by another 700 by government

So minister is praising this when it's less at a time when prices have dropped further
    Wow,you were a dairy farmer minister,go back to your roots and re educate yourself

OverRide wrote: »

So minister is praising this when it's less at a time when prices have dropped further
    Wow,you were a dairy farmer minister,go back to your roots and re educate yourself

Dairy farming is still the highest earning sector of irish agriculture. I dont think that there should be any hand out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

OverRide wrote: »

To be fair I think the Pr people got a bit excited about him being a dairy farmer. His father had a farm manager running the place for him back in the day when milk price could pay for it. The managers sister was also hired as a maid/nanny, if I remember correctly.The cows were sold and the place let as soon as he retired. If I remember correctly the minister wasn't even at the mart when the cattle were sold. He normally goes there on politically related matters. The minister for the record is a qualified school teacher. He would be well connected in farming circles with his cousin well liked in department, his sister married to a former reox chairman and another married to a fairly active Ifa member. He also has another cousin who probably has a very difficult job at the moment as a Dairygold sales manager. So you can make up your own mind as to what is influencing the ministers understanding of the current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Dairy farming is still the highest earning sector of irish agriculture. I dont think that there should be any hand out.
    When are you starting milking?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blackdog, Philip Boucher Hayes had a food series on RTE 1 TV a few months ago.
    Teagasc research, mainly Moorepark featured each week. It was said to be the biggest research facility in the country, I presume not just in food.
    I agree agriculture and food need R & D. Just hope the farmer isn't paying mostly for it, again.

GDT holds. No change in overall index.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Suppose its something.given that the season would be winding down I though if they put much on offer to empty stores the price could have dropped further.much offered?

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    When are you starting milking?:P

Spring 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Spring 2018

Thought you said before her indoors wasn't overly enthusiastic about the idea of you milking cows?!

visatorro wrote: »
    Thought you said before her indoors wasn't overly enthusiastic about the idea of you milking cows?!

Shes not. But money talks and bull**** walks. My current job wont continue in the medium to long term. OAD and a local part time job is the plan

How the EU Voluntary Milk Reduction scheme will work @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/how-the-eu-voluntary-milk-reduction-scheme-will-work/

The prospect of getting paid 14c per litre for milk not produced in the last 3 months of the year would surely have to welcomed. A lot of lads would dry off early and take a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lads try been a dry stock/tillage farmer and give out about grain merchants, sheep,,beef,pig factories ....then u might have a real grievance over a continuous period of time...u r a selfish lot ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

kk.man wrote: »
    Lads try been a dry stock/tillage farmer and give out about grain merchants, sheep,,beef,pig factories ....then u might have a real grievance over a continuous period of time...u r a selfish lot ...

Who put the gun to anyones head, most beef and tillage seem to enjoy poor mouthing as a way of life. Fook that, if you cant earn an acceptable wage from your farm make a change or get out and sell up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Don't like the last few posts, we all have to live. I would just like other farmers to remember that dairying is 24/7 for at least 10 months. Unfortunately all farming systems are having a prolonged bad patch. Product prices are at late 1970s prices but costs are so high we all must run to stand still. This is not sustainable, food is a product that must be paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

€1.75 per litre in my local spar.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Who put the gun to anyones head, most beef and tillage seem to enjoy poor mouthing as a way of life. Fook that, if you cant earn an acceptable wage from your farm make a change or get out and sell up.

Hmmm...does that advice go for dairy farmers also? or is it just for moaning beef and tillage farmers??

I must say that the attitude of dairy farmers screaming for handouts 15mts after market protection is removed does grate a little with other sectors...the fact that they (dairy) suggest that they're worth it because they work hard for 10mts or that they're more important for the economy comes across as arrogant navel gazing.
    I milk a few cows myself for *12* months of the year....amongst other things.

Just saying.

Edit. If an open market is wanted, then give an open market. No intervention, no price supports...and no subsidized ski holidays!! :)
    Very hard to have your cake, and eat it.

In fairness the money for this new payment of 14c for every litre less milk produced in the last 3 months of the year this year compared to last year,is on the table from Brussels. It's absolutely Taylor made for a spring calving system, plus it's likely less milk is going to be produced in the back end anyway this year. If Ifa and our minister refuse to allow it? I just don't know what to say?

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    In fairness the money for this new payment of 14c for every litre less milk produced in the last 3 months of the year this year compared to last year,is on the table from Brussels. It's absolutely Taylor made for a spring calving system, plus it's likely less milk is going to be produced in the back end anyway this year. If Ifa and our minister refuse to allow it? I just don't know what to say?

Beats the crap out of superlevy fines for overproduction...let calves suckle cows and score 14cpl...but but..wait, what about the beef suckler farmer??

It
    Dawggone wrote: »
    Beats the crap out of superlevy fines for overproduction...let calves suckle cows and score 14cpl...but but..wait, what about the beef suckler farmer??

Drawg to be honest sometimes i wonder? Spring. Calving system, last 3 months of the year? Suckle calves? Hmm maybe just dry off cows early? Likelihood is we will have less milk this back end anyway, so effectively its money for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Edit. If an open market is wanted, then give an open market. No intervention, no price supports...and no subsidized ski holidays!! :)

No bps so either? I think that would hit beef and tillage lads worse than dairying...

Hmmm...does that advice go for dairy farmers also? or is it just for moaning beef and tillage farmers??

I must say that the attitude of dairy farmers screaming for handouts 15mts after market protection is removed does grate a little with other sectors...the fact that they (dairy) suggest that they're worth it because they work hard for 10mts or that they're more important for the economy comes across as arrogant navel gazing.
    I milk a few cows myself for *12* months of the year....amongst other things.

Just saying.

Bollox to that most people were given an asset of many hundreds of thousands, if it was a business that was failing you would be told to sell up why not farms?. Like I have said any farm producing bottom end bulk is already out of business our costs are too high.

Dairy is its own basket case how long until restrictions are brought back in? Intervention to save the day and they get back talking of what great farmers they all are.

Timmaay wrote: »
    No bps so either? I think that would hit beef and tillage lads worse than dairying...

Ah now Tim...I didn't realise that you leave your bps at the door of the milking parlor!

And how much was dairy bps worth per litre?

And how much was dairy bps worth per litre?

How do you work that one out?
    There's farmers now who had tillage or fattened cattle with large bps and have now converted to dairy.
    Don't get this dairy bashing.
    If you (not aimed at anyone) think it's so great start milking cows. It's open to everyone now. No excuse.

As for bps or sfp I think everyone here knows my position on them.
    No payments for anyone. Let the market decide if they won't pay for the produce (below cop) they won't get it.
    And get rid of forestry payments too.
    Farming now is not farming anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Bollox to that most people were given an asset of many hundreds of thousands, if it was a business that was failing you would be told to sell up why not farms?. Like I have said any farm producing bottom end bulk is already out of business our costs are too high.

Dairy is its own basket case how long until restrictions are brought back in? Intervention to save the day and they get back talking of what great farmers they all are.

i think we have a very jealous non dairy farmer on our hands here ...

Mod: Argue the point, not the poster, please!

How do you work that one out?
    There's farmers now who had tillage or fattened cattle with large bps and have now converted to dairy.
    Don't get this dairy bashing.
    If you (not aimed at anyone) think it's so great start milking cows. It's open to everyone now. No excuse.

As for bps or sfp I think everyone here knows my position on them.
    No payments for anyone. Let the market decide if they won't pay for the produce (below cop) they won't get it.
    And get rid of forestry payments too.
    Farming now is not farming anymore.
    For last few years 'dairy' farmers have been moaning about other sectors receiving larger bps without realising quota was the exact same. I wouldn't mind a few tons of wheat been hidden away atm.

For last few years 'dairy' farmers have been moaning about other sectors receiving larger bps without realising quota was the exact same. I wouldn't mind a few tons of wheat been hidden away atm.

And get rid of intervention as well.
    I had to laugh. I was at the ifa meeting and the glanbia board members were telling us how they are dairy farmers too and they feel our pain. Just not mentioning about the 60k and shares they're getting. Different worlds.

• Advertisement

And get rid of intervention as well.
    I had to laugh. I was at the ifa meeting and the glanbia board members were telling us how they are dairy farmers too and they feel our pain. Just not mentioning about the 60k and shares they're getting. Different worlds.

But the shareholders voted it through to go this way didnt they?
    Your a shareholder in a company now, who happens to supply milk to the company now?

But the shareholders voted it through to go this way didnt they?
    Your a shareholder in a company now, who happens to supply milk to the company now?

Supposed to be a coop.
    Not though. When in a year of falling milk prices to farmers and increased profits to the 'company '.
    The CEO can award herself an 18 per cent pay rise and everyone thinks it's ok.
    Enough on that. Some country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah now Tim...I didn't realise that you leave your bps at the door of the milking parlor!

But you'll surely agree that the BPS is basically intervention, would you rather it was gone to allow a truly free market? And simple as is you take the likes of a 100acre farmer during the SFP reference years, if he was a beef farmer he would have in general ended up with a much better sfp for the last 15yrs than if he was dairying then. Im

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Supposed to be a coop.
    Not though. When in a year of falling milk prices to farmers and increased profits to the 'company '.
    The CEO can award herself an 18 per cent pay rise and everyone thinks it's ok.
    Enough on that. Some country.

They never said it was supposed to be a co-op but anyone who pointed out the obvious was told to take off the tinfoil hat. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world that he didn't exist".

But you'll surely agree that the BPS is basically intervention, would you rather it was gone to allow a truly free market? And simple as is you take the likes of a 100acre farmer during the SFP reference years, if he was a beef farmer he would have in general ended up with a much better sfp for the last 15yrs than if he was dairying then. Im

Apples and oranges. Everybodys SFP is their own business. It was a no brainer not to have bought the subs...so Joe Cowboy now wants intervention+handouts+ski holiday+some of my sfp that I bought and paid for?
    Lovely:)

Edit. Want to hear some real misery?

Guy I know was harvesting north of me yesterday and his one yr old 9230 combine went up. Turns out he's got no insurance because the prefecture banned harvesting between midday and 20:00hrs. He didn't know and neither did I, chopping away last couple of days oblivious...

Edit. Want to hear some real misery?

Guy I know was harvesting north of me yesterday and his one yr old 9230 combine went up. Turns out he's got no insurance because the prefecture banned harvesting between midday and 20:00hrs. He didn't know and neither did I, chopping away last couple of days oblivious...
    Have 9230 coming on demo in a few weeks, this a common fault? A good dealer will help for a hire machine to retain business hopefully.
    A neighbour that stores osr and some crops here delivered last load of 320t of osr reckon from his balance sheet with oil/moisture sorted will have a net profit of -£3000 due to lack of drainage and crops giving up in June rains. Didn't have heart to mention we are quite happy. Sacked a student this am for being useless other than sweeping sheds.

Have 9230 coming on demo in a few weeks, this a common fault? A good dealer will help for a hire machine to retain business hopefully.
    A neighbour that stores osr and some crops here delivered last load of 320t of osr reckon from his balance sheet with oil/moisture sorted will have a net profit of -£3000 due to lack of drainage and crops giving up in June rains. Didn't have heart to mention we are quite happy. Sacked a student this am for being useless other than sweeping sheds.

Didn't hear of fire being a prob on that model, but 44* yesterday.
    OSR star performer this yr. 4.4t/ha @6.6% waiting on oil. Sold fwd €367/t.

I gave him a combine this am. I'll be finished Friday. Wheats now 8%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

i think we have a very jealous non dairy farmer on our hands here ...

Mod: Argue the point, not the poster, please!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Is this a milk price thread or a firebrigade tread? Or even a serves those bloody greedy dairy farmers right thread.
    As for milk price and dairy farm income, IMO the biggest immediate decision facing this country at the moment is, do we avail of the package offered to us by Brussels or not? The money is allocated. It's not going to make any difference to the non dairy guys at this stage if we avail of it or not. IMO I think it would be an act of treason for the minister not to allow farmers the option to avail of the package if they so wish. It might not make anyone rich, but right now the prospect of getting 14c /l for every litre less produced for the last 3 months of 2016 compared to 2015 is a pretty attractive offer?

• Advertisement

Didn't hear of fire being a prob on that model, but 44* yesterday.
    OSR star performer this yr. 4.4t/ha @6.6% waiting on oil. Sold fwd €367/t.

I gave him a combine this am. I'll be finished Friday. Wheats now 8%

Wow you should really have reported that to the French met office as 44* is a new record for France http://www.thelocal.fr/20160720/storms-on-the-way-after-frances-record-heatwave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement