Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    is it not 30,000?

I always thought it was 50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I always thought it was 50?
    nope 30, i think i have the record at 570

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Got docked here aswell with milk that was on a 4 day, collection at 84000, the next test was 12,000 and never done a thing different because both tests results came through together....thought 50,000 was the limit bit of a piss take with tbc testing 4 day old milk too even eu regulations have 3 days as the máx milk is ment to stay in a farmers tank

Having trouble here too. Not only did they test a 4 day collection but they took a further 2 days to do the test as the sample had to come back to mallow from wherever they're going with it. They're not testing at weekends either afaik so Friday samples won't be tested til Monday

I came across the following table in a teagasc slideshow to new entrants in 09. According to it tbc goes bananas after 3 days. Think it should be in the supply agreement that tbc tests will be done before milk is 3 days old. Will be bringing it up with my advisor once I get a few more samples tested

imagejpg1-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Having trouble here too. Not only did they test a 4 day collection but they took a further 2 days to do the test as the sample had to come back to mallow from wherever they're going with it. They're not testing at weekends either afaik so Friday samples won't be tested til Monday

I came across the following table in a teagasc slideshow to new entrants in 09. According to it tbc goes bananas after 3 days. Think it should be in the supply agreement that tbc tests will be done before milk is 3 days old. Will be bringing it up with my advisor once I get a few more samples tested

imagejpg1-4.jpg

Tbc normally runs between 10 and 15 here, but was in 20's whenever it was taken from a four day collection this fall. I could be wrong, but I thought the rule was if ur milk is tested on a four day collection, the result was to be divided by 4 and multiplied by 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

DG base 30c\L recieved 36.42 @ 3.78p 4.47bf not including winter bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

Milked out wrote: »
    DG base 30c\L recieved 36.42 @ 3.78p 4.47bf not including winter bonus

What's winter bonus with dairygold?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

What I heard recently - Irish agriculture can not produce milk and most other staff at competitive prices. Italian produced milk cost only 0.12-0.14 euro per litre. Irish milk - is not possible to produce at these prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

al22 wrote: »
    What I heard recently - Irish agriculture can not produce milk and most other staff at competitive prices. Italian produced milk cost only 0.12-0.14 euro per litre. Irish milk - is not possible to produce at these prices.
    Short answer ... NO
    Did you hear that in a pub ?

farmer lad wrote: »
    What's winter bonus with dairygold?

5.6c/L paid in feb milk cheque for Nov to feb inclusive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Milked out wrote: »
    5.6c/L paid in feb milk cheque for Nov to feb inclusive

Is that on all milk delivered or just a contract

Nice earner if on all milk

stanflt wrote: »
    Is that on all milk delivered or just a contract

Nice earner if on all milk

No it's 30% max of 09/10 base supply, id prefer the 8c frazzledhome and others are getting tho. Will look to reduce the fresh calvers and milk on the spring calvers in order to keep the manufacturing price up a bit for winter months. Will most likely be 2016 season before that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Be a lot better for us if the drought was in North Island

I thought someone posted a link a short while ago about wet weather causing difficulties in that region in Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Be a lot better for us if the drought was in North Island

I thought someone posted a link a short while ago about wet weather causing difficulties in that region in Nov.

Bf 5.1
    P 3.62
    SCC 99
    20l
    Really motoring now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Bf 5.1
    P 3.62
    SCC 99
    20l
    Really motoring now

Good solids but 20 ltrs would be regarded as only first maby second gear here.shouldnt ur winter cows be hitting 25 at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Good solids but 20 ltrs would be regarded as only first maby second gear here.shouldnt ur winter cows be hitting 25 at this stage?

Be inclined to agree.
    Our stales are doing
    5 fat
    3.9 p
    Scc 110

Good silage a 4kg 16% nut

Another gang for dry off tomorrow, pity really

Be inclined to agree.
    Our stales are doing
    5 fat
    3.9 p
    Scc 110

Good silage a 4kg 16% nut

Another gang for dry off tomorrow, pity really

That's serious going for stale or late cows,must be 6 euro plus of milk daily with ur liquid contract etc

• Advertisement

Lots of activity going on re bulling last week. Two nearly every second day. Kind of upsets whole shed I'm putting it down to that. good few heifers aswell. And few empties and april calvers in mix. Not too pushed about milk with quota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

With a diet of just average grass and flat rate parlour fed meal it's about as good as he can hope for. My autumn ladies are not doing much better despite having maize and FTY nuts (up to 6kg). It's a large reason for cutting right back on the autumn calvers.

Lots of activity going on re bulling last week. Two nearly every second day. Kind of upsets whole shed I'm putting it down to that. good few heifers aswell. And few empties and april calvers in mix. Not too pushed about milk with quota

85% served. In 17 days. After missing one cow never came bulling. Not too many to get now. Having very very good heats

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Timmaay wrote: »
    With a diet of just average grass and flat rate parlour fed meal it's about as good as he can hope for. My autumn ladies are not doing much better despite having maize and FTY nuts (up to 6kg). It's a large reason for cutting right back on the autumn calvers.

what protein nut are you feeding tim? any grass silage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

85% served. In 17 days. After missing one cow never came bulling. Not too many to get now. Having very very good heats

80. % seen bulling. 0% served, 100% spring calving for 2015, will see what it's all about, will hang on to baileys contract and small bit of liquid, spent last five years getting cows and grass right to make the change

Good going to get so many in heat but the proof is in how many hold after 21 days.would u not be a tad concerned though at your average yield of 20 ltrs though,Surely it should be closer to 25.could be way off but sounds like they ain't getting enough energy at that level ,solids fairly good in fairness

Good going to get so many in heat but the proof is in how many hold after 21 days.would u not be a tad concerned though at your average yield of 20 ltrs though,Surely it should be closer to 25.could be way off but sounds like they ain't getting enough energy at that level ,solids fairly good in fairness
    what's your milk urea greengrass? i have had 5 repeats so far , ai for 3 weeks and bull in 2 weeks.

I would be if quota wasn't there :D
    but yes they should be at 25.
    Reckon there at 22 and stales less than 15.
    Hopefully it will be like what it used to be with very few repeats. Looking forward to see how it goes. Technician says there in as good condition as he's vseen in other places

whelan2 wrote: »
    what's your milk urea greengrass? i have had 5 repeats so far , ai for 3 weeks and bull in 2 weeks.

25. Where it should be isn't it?

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    80. % seen bulling. 0% served, 100% spring calving for 2015, will see what it's all about, will hang on to baileys contract and small bit of liquid, spent last five years getting cows and grass right to make the change

Dad tempted to buy liquid contract here. Loads will be doing what your doing from next yrs on. Milk everything for 300 days.
    Be interesting to see if you make any more money

Dad tempted to buy liquid contract here. Loads will be doing what your doing from next yrs on. Milk everything for 300 days.

I reckon there could be more money in what frazzled and dar are at than having fresh autumn calvers.no calves to rear and just milk on culls and late calvers .frazz stales are milking 15 ltrs at say 45 cent a ltrs is nearly 7 euro per cow per day.that cow won't have the same diet requirement as fresh calvers and less hassle.culls would also be in super nic at there dry off time and command good money in mart.

I reckon there could be more money in what frazzled and dar are at than having fresh autumn calvers.no calves to rear and just milk on culls and late calvers .frazz stales are milking 15 ltrs at say 45 cent a ltrs is nearly 7 euro per cow per day.that cow won't have the same diet requirement as fresh calvers and less hassle.culls would also be in super nic at there dry off time and command good money in mart.
    True. I think I'll get sr as good as I can Ger it first then decide what to do with winter milk. Doubt I'm loosing money in it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Not budgeting for making more money , just an easier life, more family time watch the kids grow up, better social life

For the last week rather than chasing cows bulling and ai ing, been bring the girls milking and moving kale, thought two if them to drive quad, they have been queuing up in the morning to go to work, they are trying to work out the logistics of when they go back to school
    Left it to them to find solution
    Something's are beyond money and profit

dar31 wrote: »
    Not budgeting for making more money , just an easier life, more family time watch the kids grow up, better social life

For the last week rather than chasing cows bulling and ai ing, been bring the girls milking and moving kale, thought two if them to drive quad, they have been queuing up in the morning to go to work, they are trying to work out the logistics of when they go back to school
    Left it to them to find solution
    Something's are beyond money and profit

Have seen an awful lot of my kids for the last 6 wks since the cows were dried off, and really enjoyed every minute of it. I'll be sad when feb 1st comes and back to crazy hrs. Watched the farm safety piece on the news tonight, and while I totally agree on a safety point of view, it looks like the focus now is going to be on children not being anywhere near the farmyard. I know it's for the better good, but I like my kids to have an idea what I do every day, and also think it's good for them to see a little bit of life on the farm. Sorry for going WAY off topic!!

Dar/DSW, fully agreed on the labour issue, Xmas week last yr I remember jacking out calves from 3yr old heifers at 2am, we had at least one heifer to train every week in the parlour from Nov right through to April, did my head in by the end of it. Only had one very handy calving in Dec this year, and nothing until Jan 22nd now, outa the farm at 6pm and only getup at 8am. And we have supplied 25% more solids this year with the same numbers, they milk much better on grass.
    Cow Porter wrote: »
    what protein nut are you feeding tim? any grass silage??

18%P , about 50:50 grass/maize silage (dm ratio). Last time I was talking to the feed sales rep he suggested a 50:50 mix with a 25%p balancer nut as a possible solution, when we worked through the sums it would have cost an extra 250e for 10ton, if it resulted in an extra litre per cow for the 60 days the 10t would last me it would be worth about 900 in extra milk sales! Sounds like a no brainer but with a looming SL I decided not to bother. In any case however, two of the autumn calvers have utterly melted, definitely no point feeding them more protein!

• Advertisement

Just looked at the last milk collection tests, protein down to 3.36 and urea 17. Energy deficit of some sort in the diet surely?

Ran out of cows meal here yesterday (16%) rep said okay to give them heifers meal (18%).
    There up a bit in milk this morning a nice bit now..
    So I worked out what protein there diet is
    On the 6 kgs 16% and silage there duet is a little over 13%
    In the 6 KGS 18% and silage there died is exactly 14%.
    That would cut a good lump of milk out of them. By the look of that cows surely have capacity to do more than 25l at peak

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just looked at the last milk collection tests, protein down to 3.36 and urea 17. Energy deficit of some sort in the diet surely?
    wouldnt really read anything into the milk urea, a few people i have spoken to recently said their milk urea is very inconsistent at the minute, mine is going from 15-32 this last while pr at 3.47 at the minute

I'm amazed by some of the protein results u winter milk guys are posting here, I'm all spring so no experience of it, but I always thought winter milk protein was stuck at little over 3%. I was also led to believe(as a spring calver) that silage suppressed protein and only grass would lift it. Yet when my cows are out day in night in early april on plenty lush green second rotation grass, my protein is barely 3.2 or 3.3 and butterfat barely hitting the 3.5's. How's this?

Cows avg 21 here at 4.54 f and 3.57 p

Only 30% autumn calvers in that mix

Cows getting avg 2.7 kg 16 % nut he in parlour- some getting 8 doing over 40 litres

Winter milkers avg 38 litres

A hell of a lot of cows to go dry shortly and I'm starting to worry that holding them back to calve mid to late march won't kill me next year

• Advertisement

Cows avg 21 here at 4.54 f and 3.57 p

Only 30% autumn calvers in that mix

Cows getting avg 2.7 kg 16 % nut he in parlour- some getting 8 doing over 40 litres

Winter milkers avg 38 litres

A hell of a lot of cows to go dry shortly and I'm starting to worry that holding them back to calve mid to late march won't kill me next year

Case in point right here, these are incredible figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I'm amazed by some of the protein results u winter milk guys are posting here, I'm all spring so no experience of it, but I always thought winter milk protein was stuck at little over 3%. I was also led to believe(as a spring calver) that silage suppressed protein and only grass would lift it. Yet when my cows are out day in night in early april on plenty lush green second rotation grass, my protein is barely 3.2 or 3.3 and butterfat barely hitting the 3.5's. How's this?

Good silage and a few stale cows thrown in the mix are helping the winter protiens.

And in april the high protien grass is driving milk volume and diluting your solids a little.

I had came problem in April most years,it's a combination of lush green grass with little or no fibre and it flows through cows,made a few changes offer straw ,hi energy nut maize based and something like beet pulp or hulls in the mix as well ive whole crop this year which I plan on buffering in through March /April so it'll be interesting to see how that goes with grass .also you'd proably have a lot of cows around 6 weeks calved and there would be a natural lull.
    As for the silage not winter milking either but I'd imagine if feeding surplus bales(2/4 bale per acre stuff) quality should be nearly as good as grazed grass.real stemmy grass in silage would do the same as if you were grazing that type of stuff in normal season,depress yield,protein and give higher fat.

mf240 wrote: »
    Good silage and a few stale cows thrown in the mix are helping the winter protiens.

And in april the high protien grass is driving milk volume and diluting your solids a little.

That's what I always thought, but have u seen the figures Stan just quoted, they're incredible. I know he's farming at a super high level but still. My high milk volume in April is still only going to be around 25/26litres with pathetic pr and bf.

Only 14 out of the 52 I'm milking are Autumn, in around 25%, so that's why I wouldn't be hugely happy with 3.26%p. Liquid milk is paid on solids now also so I can't just ignore solids during the winter. We use to regularly hit proteins of 2.7 or lower in the late winter/early spring before, a mix of breeding for EBI and solids, alongside alot better feeding has thankfully solved that. I'm wondering if I'm back to 3.36%p, how low will it crash to when the most of the late calvers get dried of over the next few weeks.

April protein 3.4, and fat 3.9 here last year, that's a diet of lush grass and FTY up to 8kg in the parlour of a low P (14%) nut, with a decent few mature cows hitting the 40L+. When I contrast that to the current performance it makes me want to push the whole lot of the autumn calvers around to the spring.

I had came problem in April most years,it's a combination of lush green grass with little or no fibre and it flows through cows,made a few changes offer straw ,hi energy nut maize based and something like beet pulp or hulls in the mix as well ive whole crop this year which I plan on buffering in through March /April so it'll be interesting to see how that goes with grass

Buffer feeding into March and April is something I'm considering also, I'm hesitant about it I'll admit because the maize at 55e/ton is not cheap feed, and who knows what price for milk Glanbia will pull outa their arse next April. Long term breeding out these HOs with 400kg+ of milk, to be replaced with a smaller more robust cow would be the aim, and keep my system simple, One man labour unit with 120/130 low maintenance cows is the aim for on my milking block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

That's what I always thought, but have u seen the figures Stan just quoted, they're incredible. I know he's farming at a super high level but still. My high milk volume in April is still only going to be around 25/26litres with pathetic pr and bf.

Stans cows are very well bred and he has them on a fair diet. Hell list it for us if we ask nicely. Plus theres 70 % spring calvers in the mix.

Don't always believe what you read- come for a visit and see for yourself

It's also a lot to do with breeding and using the right type of bull

I remember years ago when Ebi came out we advertised bulls for sale with high Ebi and high type and high milk- people said we would ruin our herd

I don't think think we did and these are the same lads that want to move to strathroy, don't want to get paid on a b-c and can't get a compact calving cause no control on fertility

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Don't always believe what you read- come for a visit and see for yourself

It's also a lot to do with breeding and using the right type of bull

I remember years ago when Ebi came out we advertised bulls for sale with high Ebi and high type and high milk- people said we would ruin our herd

I don't think think we did and these are the same lads that want to move to strathroy, don't want to get paid on a b-c and can't get a compact calving cause no control on fertility

And they look at crossbred herds as if they were the arrival of the antichrist....

Coonagh wrote: »
    And they look at crossbred herds as if they were the arrival of the antichrist....

As a lad said to me yesterday too many farmers have become institutionalized in there own system due to quota

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement