Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

mf240 wrote: »
    Stans cows are very well bred and he has them on a fair diet. Hell list it for us if we ask nicely. Plus theres 70 % spring calvers in the mix.

Diet is 9kg dmd of 78 dmd plus bales at 44% dm 17 prot

2 kg 74 dmd 27% dm 17% p wagon silage

2.7 kg 16% he high maize in parlour feed to yield

5.5 kg dm 28% dm 31starch maize

And 2 kg dm of brewer and citrus mix at 6:1

All mixed in a hi spec paddle feeder- a poor mans keenan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

stanflt wrote: »
    Don't always believe what you read- come for a visit and see for yourself

It's also a lot to do with breeding and using the right type of bull

I remember years ago when Ebi came out we advertised bulls for sale with high Ebi and high type and high milk- people said we would ruin our herd

I don't think think we did and these are the same lads that want to move to strathroy, don't want to get paid on a b-c and can't get a compact calving cause no control on fertility

Thanx for the offer Stan, but I have no need to visit, I'm following ur posts for long enough to know that ur a no bull, top class operator. However u sank in my estimation somewhat now that u admitted to only having a hi-spec feeder, shame on u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Coonagh wrote: »
    And they look at crossbred herds as if they were the arrival of the antichrist....

Ffs Coonagh will you keep quiet or they'll all want them. Milking like troopers 9% solids in January Runts me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Ffs Coonagh will you keep quiet or they'll all want them. Milking like troopers 9% solids in January Runts me hole

I wouldn't worry frazz those lads don't usually trust research or hard facts just salesmen....

I wouldn't worry frazz those lads don't usually trust research or hard facts just salesmen....

Ah give them some credit

Sure them lads are all going to show us how it's done when the quotas are gone- sure quota was the only thing holding the back

Sure they'll all have dairymaster parlours cause cows give 5% more milk if milked with their claw piece
    If they feed mega lac they will get 2 more litres per day per cow
    If the use easi fix cubicles they give 2 litre more due to comfort

Cows will be peaking at 150 litres a day on 10% solids

Ah give them some credit

Sure them lads are all going to show us how it's done when the quotas are gone- sure quota was the only thing holding the back

Sure they'll all have dairymaster parlours cause cows give 5% more milk if milked with their claw piece
    If they feed mega lac they will get 2 more litres per day per cow
    If the use easi fix cubicles they give 2 litre more due to comfort

Cows will be peaking at 150 litres a day on 10% solids

Stan, you're being very bold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree with ye but it's horses for courses,I kmow a few of these big Holstein breeders with pedigree herds and some of the finest cows you'll ever see.no faith in ebi, mostly milking and calving for 10/12 months of the year with long lactations and huge volumes of milk.its there system and there happy with it and there making money from it.thing is it ain't all from milk,there selling Bulls and heifers/calves cows for money 1000s of euros as well and that is adding hugely to bottom end figure at end of the year.often these guys haven't huge milking platforms which guys milking x breeds have and can exploit that system.a bull calf and. Cull is just a bi product.
    I've been on a couple of ihfa walks and open days and whilst I'm in that position with limited land I like Stan have full faith in ebi .i can't figure out why guys like Stan and Jim Delaunay in birr aren't given more print space by the ihfa as both have very high genetic worth Holstein herds with Bulls in ai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Agree with ye but it's horses for courses,I kmow a few of these big Holstein breeders with pedigree herds and some of the finest cows you'll ever see.no faith in ebi, mostly milking and calving for 10/12 months of the year with long lactations and huge volumes of milk.its there system and there happy with it and there making money from it.thing is it ain't all from milk,there selling Bulls and heifers/calves cows for money 1000s of euros as well and that is adding hugely to bottom end figure at end of the year.often these guys haven't huge milking platforms which guys milking x breeds have and can exploit that system.a bull calf and. Cull is just a bi product.
    I've been on a couple of ihfa walks and open days and whilst I'm in that position with limited land I like Stan have full faith in ebi .i can't figure out why guys like Stan and Jim Delaunay in birr aren't given more print space by the ihfa as both have very high genetic worth Holstein herds with Bulls in ai.
    As I've proved to you Mj you do not need big platform for xbreds or jersey although. My herd now is 50:50 split between jex je and high ebi fr

Stan you forgot Rock salt from some far flung place

• Advertisement

I didn't even get a mention in the winter Ihfa journal for winning an award in the section where they congratulate members on success

Think I'm annoying people with productivity

As I've proved to you Mj you do not need big platform for xbreds or jersey although. My herd now is 50:50 split between jex je and high ebi fr

Yes you do,what would u prefer 0on a 100 acre milk platform 125 cows doing 7500 Ltrs and 600 kg solids on 1.2 tonne of 125 cows doing 5 k ltrs and 500 kg solids on say 8//900 kg in an average grass growth year.i know what I want if u take say a 12 cent margin on 500 k ltrs or or 10 cent on 750k who's better off.u need acres and really 150/200 plus to really push low meal and x breeds

Yes you do,what would u prefer 0on a 100 acre milk platform 125 cows doing 7500 Ltrs and 600 kg solids on 1.2 tonne of 125 cows doing 5 k ltrs and 500 kg solids on say 8//900 kg in an average grass growth year.i know what I want if u take say a 12 cent margin on 500 k ltrs or or 10 cent on 750k who's better off.u need acres and really 150/200 plus to really push low meal and x breeds

World war 17 just broke out

good points re ihfa, I too have full faith in EBI, I was more having a Pop at the liquid/holstein men that think anything coming out of Moorepark/Teagasc is some sort of conspiracy designed to wipe out their cows!!!!!

Haven't got to add up last yrs solids from mid jan to mid November but reckon about 505/510kgs sold on 600kg meal. Definitely hoping to to do same next yrs. For double the meal don't know many higher yielding herds doing much better with good conception rates

Haven't got to add up last yrs solids from mid jan to mid November but reckon about 505/510kgs sold on 600kg meal. Definitely hoping to to do same next yrs. For double the meal don't know many higher yielding herds doing much better with good conception rates

7400 odd ltrs per cow sold 580 kg solids on 1.250 tonnes and a heap of grass,8 k ltrs would of been achieved only for levy and 620 kg solids if I could of feed a different spec nut at grass at same quantity.thatcwas for my full production year 29 jan to 15 December .294 average days in milk

• Advertisement

7400 odd ltrs per cow sold 580 kg solids on 1.250 tonnes and a heap of grass,8 k ltrs would of been achieved only for levy and 620 kg solids if I could of feed a different spec nut at grass at same quantity.thatcwas for my full production year 29 jan to 15 December .294 average days in milk

Great figures mj......can't help but think they are perfect cows for a jersey bull!!! Runs like fcuk

Enough of this mickey measuring!!!

Mj you have great cows, GG you have great cows, give each other a hug before ye fall out. Next thing this will be like one of the beef threads!! ;)

Mj you have great cows, GG you have great cows, give each other a hug before ye fall out. Next thing this will be like one of the beef threads!! ;)

No intention of falling out with anyone here.gg has a great herd of cows doing great solids not going to argue with that.all I wasxtrying to do was bring a bit of balance to the thread ,every farm is different and situation big land blocks can't be ran same as small blocks,profit is key but different ways to go about it.

This would be a fierce boring place if we all agreed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

x-bred is a lighter cow and therefore higher SR? kg solids per ha mightn't be that much different? Regardless of farm size I see the x-bred as preferable on wet farms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Can ye wrap this up soon. Running low on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Stan you forgot Rock salt from some far flung place

Himalayan. Sounds like the answer to crossword clue "what is that fellow doing in the knocking shop?":D

Himalayan. Sounds like the answer to crossword clue "what is that fellow doing in the knocking shop?":D

Lol

I couldn't spell Himalayan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I didn't even get a mention in the winter Ihfa journal for winning an award in the section where they congratulate members on success

yuo got a mention in the notes by the west midlands hfbc... they visited you and a very robust debate took place on the radical change your implementing...

they also commented on your great grass and attention to detail....

ps i think you've a dairymaster parlour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If it means anything stan I appreciate what your doing:-)

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If it means anything stan I appreciate what your doing:-)

Thanks Kev I cried myself to sleep last night!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Got text from coop. Milk price.

Jan 34.3 cpl
    Feb 33.3 cpl
    Mar. 31.9 cpl

Base price vat not inc.

Dawggone wrote: »

Jan 34.3 cpl
    Feb 33.3 cpl
    Mar. 31.9 cpl

Base price vat not inc.

Most of us still don't know Decembers price not to mind jan,feb or March.are these set minimum prices dwag or can there be movement up or down.thery are pretty good base prices to be fair.next gdt auction on Tuesday will be interesting ,last 2 auctions were positive

Most of us still don't know Decembers price not to mind jan,feb or March.are these set minimum prices dwag or can there be movement up or down.thery are pretty good base prices to be fair.next gdt auction on Tuesday will be interesting ,last 2 auctions were positive

Base on an open ticket - if price rises it's added.
    Base = 3.2 p and 3.5 f

• Advertisement

Jan 34.3 cpl
    Feb 33.3 cpl
    Mar. 31.9 cpl

Base price vat not inc.

Just shows what a big domestic market coupled with static production can do for price.

Just shows what a big domestic market coupled with static production can do for price.

Production is up 7% ytd. Big superlevy up the north.

Basically the UK is the same as here so why the big price differential? Supermarkets?

Basically the UK is the same as here so why the big price differential? Supermarkets?
    Supermarkets, guy out of contract are being screwed royally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

...and the lack of dung/slurry spreaders outside gov buildings. There is a bit more respect for the farmers where you are. So a bit more "with not against" attitude. The consumer & purchaser in the UK never misses an opportunity to shovel sh1t downhill.

Is your quota not national ie if all France is under does some still pry fine?

...never misses an opportunity to shovel sh1t downhill.

Nice turn of phrase!:)

Is your quota not national ie if all France is under does some still pry fine?

Same as you...
    If you're over you pay.
    Lots in the dairy area over quota as it was an extraordinary year for grass up there.
    With the country as a whole over quota there will be some producers hard hit.

I Predict some "unrest" in Paris in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

maybe a case of jealousy stan fair fubk to you im envious:):):):)

It goes completely against the mantra of IHFA. Mention grass or ebi to any Holstein men I know and completely scoff it. Its too much work, sure they have grass blah blah blah.
    Stan is showing them up.
    While I do appreciate a nice looking cow they have to work for you not you working for them

• Advertisement

It goes completely against the mantra of IHFA. Mention grass or ebi to any Holstein men I know and completely scoff it. Its too much work, sure they have grass blah blah blah.
    Stan is showing them up.
    While I do appreciate a nice looking cow they have to work for you not you working for them

Ah I don't know about that. IHFA farm walk here a few years ago, a high type, high yielding herd crossed with high EBI kiwi friesian. Plenty of compliments. 510 kg solids delivered this year on 700 kg meal stocked at 3.6 in 270 days. I'd say I left 60 kg's after me due to quota. 367 day calving interval last year and 90% 6 week in calf rate this year.

Ah I don't know about that. IHFA farm walk here a few years ago, a high type, high yielding herd crossed with high EBI kiwi friesian. Plenty of compliments. 510 kg solids delivered this year on 700 kg meal stocked at 3.6 in 270 days. I'd say I left 60 kg's after me due to quota. 367 day calving interval last year and 90% 6 week in calf rate this year.
    Impressive figures brown. Any of the IHFA men around here are big into there milk and embryos and all that stuff

Same as you...
    If you're over you pay.
    Lots in the dairy area over quota as it was an extraordinary year for grass up there.

"Unrest" is that what ye call it :)

Same as you...
    If you're over you pay.

Do you predict the "unrest" will be directed at Paris or Brussels?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawg how did they end up overquota if so many farmers have got out of dairying? Is the overall herd size the same? Is the overquota purely down to the excellent grass, or do the average lads with AYR systems have loads of heifers already calved down waiting in the wings for April 1st?

Do you predict the "unrest" will be directed at Paris or Brussels?.

Paris. Hollande doesn't need any more grief.

• Advertisement

Paris. Hollande doesn't need any more grief.

H'mm. Any chance relief for French farmers would transfer to Irish farmers?.

Impressive figures brown. Any of the IHFA men around here are big into there milk and embryos and all that stuff

Whilst sort of agreeing with u gg that's a very narrow minded comment re what ur talking about,yes ther doing big volumes of milk and maby not making the best use of grazed grass or using best ebi breeding but they produce massive volumes of milk over longer lactations often doing 800 to 1000 kg plus solids,they also make huge money from selling Bulls ,breeding stock,calved cows etc.it all adds to end figure at end of year.more than one way to skin a cat than grass grass and more grass.most of these lads are milking and calving all year anyway.fair play to them and I really can appreciate what they are at but I wouldn't choose that particular route.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Dawg how did they end up overquota if so many farmers have got out of dairying? Is the overall herd size the same? Is the overquota purely down to the excellent grass, or do the average lads with AYR systems have loads of heifers already calved down waiting in the wings for April 1st?

The big get bigger. Loads are leaving dairy but there is quiet expansion going on also. So, yes, herd size is getting bigger but that's inevitable, so expansion is easy for those that want to.
    Over quota I think is purely down to the extra good year for grass. Not a big expansion of numbers.
    See, quotas haven't really gone away here as "production rights" will exist. So there is still a kind of trade in "rights" but the price is low and there are plenty sellers. It's just a restructuring of the system. Inevitable when a market loses its protection.

H'mm. Any chance relief for French farmers would transfer to Irish farmers?.

Hard to see where relief would come from. Suck it up I think is going to be the line.

The big get bigger. Loads are leaving dairy but there is quiet expansion going on also. So, yes, herd size is getting bigger but that's inevitable, so expansion is easy for those that want to.
    Over quota I think is purely down to the extra good year for grass. Not a big expansion of numbers.
    See, quotas haven't really gone away here as "production rights" will exist. So there is still a kind of trade in "rights" but the price is low and there are plenty sellers. It's just a restructuring of the system. Inevitable when a market loses its protection.

Seems the Mansholt plan is going to happen anyway without the compensation. From 40 years ago,
    "The Commission published a provocative memorandum proposing broad policies to accelerate structural change in agriculture, including providing financial incentives to encourage about half of the farming population to leave the sector, with five million hectares of land targeted to be removed from production"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement