Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Exchange rate movement is possibly the biggest influence.

Exactly.

If we really want the milk price to recover we need to leave the Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kowtow wrote: »
    Exactly.

Hello Jim corr!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Exchange rate movement is possibly the biggest influence.

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

kowtow wrote: »
    Exactly.

You being a man who understands these things might explain how we'd deal with all of the other consequences of leaving the euro even assuming it was a cordial break up. Everybody being very adult and cosmopolitan about it joint custody of the kids and a fair division of the assets etc. How would we deal with whoever has replaced George Soros when he decided to have a go at the new punt. I'm no geriatric but I remember overnight rates in the high twenties and paying 18% on term loans all in the name of protecting our exchange rate. I'm happy enough to sacrifice a few percent on a euro milk price in exchange for the stability it brings. Maybe you can make a case for the rollercoaster but I'd take a good bit of convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

You being a man who understands these things might explain how we'd deal with all of the other consequences of leaving the euro even assuming it was a cordial break up. Everybody being very adult and cosmopolitan about it joint custody of the kids and a fair division of the assets etc. How would we deal with whoever has replaced George Soros when he decided to have a go at the new punt. I'm no geriatric but I remember overnight rates in the high twenties and paying 18% on term loans all in the name of protecting our exchange rate. I'm happy enough to sacrifice a few percent on a euro milk price in exchange for the stability it brings. Maybe you can make a case for the rollercoaster but I'd take a good bit of convincing.

+1.
    The brinksmanship going on atm is very serious.
    The ECB should stick to what they are supposed to do and not be making hard threats to the Greeks.

Let's face it, Greece should NEVER have been allowed into the Euro. Creative accounting by Goldman Sachs and slack regulations have left us where we are.

Now is deffo not the time for a Euro collapse...

Statesmen with the ability to lead Europe are needed now...we need extraordinary men for extraordinary times.

It's such a shame that banks take priority over people...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭castletrader

Just wondering if any one here is having trouble getting on to the Glanbia agrilink website?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Just wondering if any one here is having trouble getting on to the Glanbia agrilink website?Thanks

Never tried looking online for the statement, but the paper edition didn't arrive here today (money in the account this morning though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

either go in on your phone or through internet explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭castletrader

ok thanks . That worked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

How much is the sl fine if you go over it? Or dose that depend on how much Ireland is over quota?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

How much is the sl fine if you go over it? Or dose that depend on how much Ireland is over quota?

28c per litre.

Unused quota will distributed among those over with priority given to those with quota under350 k and levy paid on remainder lads are over.

Lads with good solids will still get 5 or 6 cent a liter which is abit more than youll make throwing it into friesan bull calves but some lads seem to prefer the calf route.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Fcuk that's steep. 5/6 cent L is better than feeding bull calves and the hassle of it to. I think I'd rather pull out the slurry tanker than pay .28L sl fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Fcuk that's steep. 5/6 cent L is better than feeding bull calves and the hassle of it to. I think I'd rather pull out the slurry tanker than pay .28L sl fine!

You miss the point. Milk is making 30 / 35 cent depending on solids.

If you pay the 28cent you have a few cent left over. If you put it in the slurry tank you are losing the full value of the milk.

Sure all them big dairy farmers are rotten with money anyway so theyll be grand:D::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

18% intrest rates would have been no harm here from 03 through 08.

18% intrest rates would have been no harm here from 03 through 08.

18% interest rates means the repayments on a 10 year term loan taken out at 8/9% rates double all in the name ( at the time) of political hubris. If you had experienced it you wouldn't be as flippant about it.

8/9% would have done a lot to cool things ten years ago, stricter lending controls on house mortgages would have done the same. Making residential property tax apply to all residential property incl zoned land would now help concentrate developers minds on developing not attempting to control the market. Lots of options before you'd consider rates like that.

In the 20 odd years we had the punt there were at least two if not three extended periods with interest rates as high as this. If you're sitting on piles of cash it's probably great fun but if you're trying to build a business it can cost you everything whether it's caused by political mistakes or the whim of some egomanical scumbag playing with other people's money. The euro is our best protection against it. Does anyone really think Nebraska and California are always in sync on interest/exchange requirements. I doubt that they are but Nebraska benefits from the stability of the dollar and California benefits from the drag places like Nebraska are on the dollar value much the way Germany benefits from the drag of the piigs on the euro. If you think '08 to now has been bad it would have been infinitely worse without the euro imo.

Btw nice stroke from glanbia on the electronic payments. Big companies always take the long view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Btw nice stroke from glanbia on the electronic payments. Big companies always take the long view.

what have they done,
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

te="leg wax;94351484"]what have they done,
    :eek:[/quote]

Just trying to switch all milk payments to electronic payment, and have it nicely worded if you still want to be paid by the cheque in the post it won't be paid out on the 17th and there will be delays of a couple of days.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    what have they done,
    :eek:

Calm down legs. Just a small logistical change. If you've signed up for electronic payment the only difference is your statement will be arriving a few days later from here on. If you haven't signed up your cheque will now arrive with the later statement. Looks like the payments dept has finally been swamped.

I wonder how this sits with the commitment given all those years ago around the time of the avonmore/waterford merger that the cheques would always be in by the sixteenth. Afair that was a written commitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Calm down legs. Just a small logistical change. If you've signed up for electronic payment the only difference is your statement will be arriving a few days later from here on. If you haven't signed up your cheque will now arrive with the later statement. Looks like the payments dept has finally been swamped.

I wonder how this sits with the commitment given all those years ago around the time of the avonmore/waterford merger that the cheques would always be in by the sixteenth. Afair that was a written commitment

Basicly anyone that has switched to electronic payment still won't actually have useable funds until 20th as per usual.
    But Glanbia still get to keep funds in there acc for 3 more days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Just to temper the optimism the Chinese are not back on market in any big way yet so everything is on a knife edge

keep going wrote: »
    Just to temper the optimism the Chinese are not back on market in any big way yet so everything is on a knife edge

I don't think we want them back in a big way tbh. We want to be a a good dependable supplier to a good dependable customer with long term contracts which are fair to both sides. 9 months of sky high prices following by 9 months planking it about how bad it's going to get followed by 9 months of crap prices is not a great business model esp when you're trying to pay the tax for the good year in the middle of a trough. I'd love to see the Chinese buying what they need as they need it, everyone is better off in that scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

18% interest rates means the repayments on a 10 year term loan taken out at 8/9% rates double all in the name ( at the time) of political hubris. If you had experienced it you wouldn't be as flippant about it.

8/9% would have done a lot to cool things ten years ago, stricter lending controls on house mortgages would have done the same. Making residential property tax apply to all residential property incl zoned land would now help concentrate developers minds on developing not attempting to control the market. Lots of options before you'd consider rates like that.

In the 20 odd years we had the punt there were at least two if not three extended periods with interest rates as high as this. If you're sitting on piles of cash it's probably great fun but if you're trying to build a business it can cost you everything whether it's caused by political mistakes or the whim of some egomanical scumbag playing with other people's money. The euro is our best protection against it. Does anyone really think Nebraska and California are always in sync on interest/exchange requirements. I doubt that they are but Nebraska benefits from the stability of the dollar and California benefits from the drag places like Nebraska are on the dollar value much the way Germany benefits from the drag of the piigs on the euro. If you think '08 to now has been bad it would have been infinitely worse without the euro imo.

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

legs is calm and silky smooth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

leg wax wrote: »
    legs is calm and silky smooth :D

Classic reply!

Classic reply!

I know there's a story behind the name I just can't remember the details. Way back in the day though. I reckon mrs freedom might have the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

what are peoples opinions on forward contracts. are they worth signing. we got a letter from kerry co op offering 34 cent a litre for 10-20% of your milk. We are considering signing them but are looking for peoples opinions on the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Henwin wrote: »
    what are peoples opinions on forward contracts. are they worth signing. we got a letter from kerry co op offering 34 cent a litre for 10-20% of your milk. We are considering signing them but are looking for peoples opinions on the matter

Don't forget the offer of 34 cent is for higher solids than normal milk pricing and no bonuses etc will be paid on the percentage you fix. I think I'm going to take my chances and not fix on this offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭dalalada

KCTK wrote: »
    Don't forget the offer of 34 cent is for higher solids than normal milk pricing and no bonuses etc will be paid on the percentage you fix. I think I'm going to take my chances and not fix on this offer.

Can you expand and explain your view a bit more?

• Advertisement

dalalada wrote: »
    Can you expand and explain your view a bit more?

Contract states 34cpl inclusive of vat at 3.357 p and 3.84bf, this price includes all bonuses. Normal milk price is set at 3.3 p and 3.6 bf, add to this bonus if your scc under 200k plus any payments to bring price to "leading milk price" for the year so in reality what are they offering as fixed price on a like for like basis?

Then personally I am willing to gamble the average price of milk over the next 3 years will be more than this offer when striped back on a like for like basis, could be wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

is it 34 cents straight no linking to anything else cso etc
    is it one or three yr contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

is it 34 cents straight no linking to anything else cso etc
    is it one or three yr contract

3 year contract, fixed at 34c for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

3 year contract, fixed at 34c for 3 years.

For 10% of your supply only ?

red bull wrote: »
    For 10% of your supply only ?
    2 options, under 10% and between 10 and 20%.

The amount you get fixed depends on the uptake. The less that look to join, the higher those that chose to join will have fixed.

The fixers will probably make money this year but will lose when the milk price rises above 33c at 3.6/3.3.

I will be avoiding it, I'm thinking.

Heard a good one about 'leading price' last night. If you hold the paper upside down, the Kerry price will be near the top:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Contract states 34cpl inclusive of vat at 3.357 p and 3.84bf, this price includes all bonuses. Normal milk price is set at 3.3 p and 3.6 bf, add to this bonus if your scc under 200k plus any payments to bring price to "leading milk price" for the year so in reality what are they offering as fixed price on a like for like basis?

Then personally I am willing to gamble the average price of milk over the next 3 years will be more than this offer when striped back on a like for like basis, could be wrong....
    Agree completely. Co-op will have it well worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

just do it wrote: »
    Agree completely. Co-op will have it well worked out.

See my comments earlier on this thread (I think) about the need for a genuine hedge to be (1) related to a specific quantity of milk sold and (2) transparent.

This doesnt seem to be either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

34.2c/l @ 3.35p and 4.1 bf.
    Base of 30c

Just saw in the Journal that the contract value is 32.8c @ 3.6/3.3.

Also the closing date is being extended to 3rd March.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Jan price 33.54c/l 4:51% 3:36%
    Base 30c/l

• Advertisement

net milk value 40.93 cpl 3.46 pr 4.37 fat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

whelan2 wrote: »

Nice!

C0N0R wrote: »
    Nice!
    yup, happy out

Just saw in the Journal that the contract value is 32.8c @ 3.6/3.3.

Also the closing date is being extended to 3rd March.

Heard it will be well under subscribed so any one who does sign up will be given option to fix up to 50% after it eventually closes, also I've heard rumours that the scc bonus may increase from 0.2 cent per ltr in the not too distant future

Heard it will be well under subscribed so any one who does sign up will be given option to fix up to 50% after it eventually closes, also I've heard rumours that the scc bonus may increase from 0.2 cent per ltr in the not too distant future
    I'm not surprised it's undersubscribed:D. There is little attraction to join after this years c.30c.

The scc bonus increase was flagged a while, they're just preempting the drop to 200 by a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

if ye don't mind me asking milked out and arctic8dave how did milked out get a better price than arctic8dave as arctic8dave solids are better and ye both had the same base price?

farmer lad wrote: »
    if ye don't mind me asking milked out and arctic8dave how did milked out get a better price than arctic8dave as arctic8dave solids are better and ye both had the same base price?

I should have said the price I put up was the price incl vat before levies were deducted, dad was telling me the statement came over the phone and that's what he told me the price was. Arctic's price may have been net after levies?
    Other than that dg operate a scorecard with a score of 55 being the top I think u may get 0.4c/l for that, we were at 50 for the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »

Despite trying to keep Jan volumes low with less autumn calvers I still oversupplied by 80% of my liquid quote, and as a result only got at net price of 34c/l. Alot of late spring milkers ticking over in that group so wasn't too costly, but would have been nearer 38c if I stuck too the liquid quota, that could well be the difference between profit and a loss on them litres.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Despite trying to keep Jan volumes low with less autumn calvers I still oversupplied by 80% of my liquid quote, and as a result only got at net price of 34c/l. Alot of late spring milkers ticking over in that group so wasn't too costly, but would have been nearer 38c if I stuck too the liquid quota, that could well be the difference between profit and a loss on them litres.

Or it could be a lower profit per litre over more litres. If you do the sums on both figures and the costs associated with them it would shine a bit more light on it. Says the fella that will prob end up throwing everything in to a box and off to the accountant at the end if the month ha. Seriously tho I'm at a cross roads myself with winter milk so will have to sit down during the summer when the head would be clearer and see what the best way is to go financially first and then consider work life balance with it once that's done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Milked out wrote: »
    Or it could be a lower profit per litre over more litres. If you do the sums on both figures and the costs associated with them it would shine a bit more light on it. Says the fella that will prob end up throwing everything in to a box and off to the accountant at the end if the month ha. Seriously tho I'm at a cross roads myself with winter milk so will have to sit down during the summer when the head would be clearer and see what the best way is to go financially first and then consider work life balance with it once that's done

With the late spring calvers it makes sense, they need to be fed anyways so might as well be putting a few quid in the tank anyways over the winter. Autumn calving is what I don't like, waaayyy too much effort with autumn calving, more groups, feeding them a special diet, two calving seasons/breeding seasons etc etc. I obviously had too many autumn calvers this year considering how much I oversupplied the Jan liquid, it's more a fertility problem with us, had 8 carryover heifers from the spring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement