Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoshi's Island 3DS

Options
  • 17-04-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

The new Zelda 3DS title got its own thread but I think that a new Yoshi's Island game deserves the same treatment. I played through the original Yoshi's Island game on the 3DS last year. I had the title as part of the Ambassador program and I really enjoyed it.

Looking at the video below I think the game looks a little rough but there is time to polish it up.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The DS game wasn't all that great, I hope they don't farm it out to a third party like they did with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The Marioverse is definitely being overworked at this stage. That's what, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Party, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Yoshi's Island 3D, all within the space of two years? Unless I missed any?

I mean, they said Mario "needed a break" in 2013...and then declared it "the year of Luigi.":pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That gameplay looks near identical to the DS entry (giant egg excepted?), albeit with uglier graphics :eek:

Hopefully it's very early alpha footage, and they're playing the nostalgia card early in the advance of the 'new stuff!' one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kinski wrote: »
    The Marioverse is definitely being overworked at this stage. That's what, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Party, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Yoshi's Island 3D, all within the space of two years? Unless I missed any?

I mean, they said Mario "needed a break" in 2013...and then declared it "the year of Luigi.":pac:

I don't really see the problem in that though. I mean it's not like all those games are yearly iterative sequels like CoD being released within months of each other. Each one represents a very different gameplay model or even genre. The mario-verse is just something Nintendo slap on to a game to ensure sales and I hope nobody really give two hoots about the integrity of the mario-verse and pulls and mass effect 3 ending on it becasue then I'd lose all faith in the intelligence of humanity.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem in that though. I mean it's not like all those games are yearly iterative sequels like CoD being released within months of each other. Each one represents a very different gameplay model or even genre. The mario-verse is just something Nintendo slap on to a game to ensure sales and I hope nobody really give two hoots about the integrity of the mario-verse and pulls and mass effect 3 ending on it becasue then I'd lose all faith in the intelligence of humanity.

Let me put it another way: the Mario brand is being overworked. I don't think it's going to ensure sales for very much longer if they keep putting out Mario-branded things an average of one every 10 weeks or so (saturation and all that.)

It also reinforces the idea among the unconverted (who may not realise just how profoundly different - and how much fun - titles like Mario RPG and Luigi's Mansion are), that Nintendo are just about Mario, with a pinch of Pokemon and Zelda thrown in. That's an image Nintendo should be trying to shrug off now, not shroud themselves in even more.

• Advertisement

They've been doing it for years and it's not hurt sales. Nintendo's had just as many if not more mario-verse games out in a year before. Mario is more a mark of quality for them now, not a brand. Parents know if they pick up a mario games the kids will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed! I'd much rathered have a new sequel to Yoshi's Story than another Yoshi's Island, as I had much much more fun with it than any of the Yoshi's Island games. There are similarities, but the Story game was much more fun! Maybe they're saving that style for the Yoshi's Yarn game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'm torn, loved the original on the SNES. Never played the DS one.

I'd have preferred a new take, unless there's loads of new features I think people will quickly get a handle on the controls, and half the fun for me is figuring out all the different stuff you can do.

Still gonna get it tho!

As regards the amount of Mario games, the games themselves have been generally of good quality. I'd like to see Nintendo stretch its wings more though, games like this are a bit "tried and trusted".

I gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed! I'd much rathered have a new sequel to Yoshi's Story than another Yoshi's Island, as I had much much more fun with it than any of the Yoshi's Island games. There are similarities, but the Story game was much more fun! Maybe they're saving that style for the Yoshi's Yarn game?

So much blasphemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

You forgot Paper Mario: Sticker Star. ;)
    And somewhat related: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, New Super Luigi U, Yoshi's Yarn, and the Mario Wii U and MarioKart Wii U games that will probably be out before Christmas. :pac:
    Edit: oh, and Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics, and Mario Party 9, and Wario Land 4 eShop re-release, and and... I need to lie down.
    Edit 2: and Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move... (faints)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario games have long been some of the best games in their class, and the ip is certainly more durable than anything Sony or Ms have attempted. Only Sega come close but we all know the derision Sonic's extended group of friends are targeted with, beyond Tails and Eggman.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

So much blasphemy...

It was a (very) guilty pleasure, but I've also not played it in years, so perhaps I remember it being better than it was. I liked getting the other yoshis, particularly the black and white ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

although this looks very good why the 3ds ?

3ds isnt lacking games and the likes of this and mario golf should of came out for the wii u aswell

still i am gonna give this a whirl :D

They've been doing it for years and it's not hurt sales. Nintendo's had just as many if not more mario-verse games out in a year before. Mario is more a mark of quality for them now, not a brand. Parents know if they pick up a mario games the kids will enjoy it.

I'd still like to see them diversify a little, even if they rely on established franchises. Like an F-Zero game instead of Mario Kart for a change. Or instead of Mario & Luigi, wouldn't an RPG set in the Metroid universe be a great spin-off? Or rather than Mario Golf, how about Zelda Golf? They could call it Link's Links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I'd still like to see them diversify a little, even if they rely on established franchises. Like an F-Zero game instead of Mario Kart for a change. Or instead of Mario & Luigi, wouldn't an RPG set in the Metroid universe be a great spin-off? Or rather than Mario Golf, how about Zelda Golf? They could call it Link's Links.

Hmm you could be onto something there kinski. How about we have a zelda bowling game but instead of bowling ball we have a bomb and instead of pins we would have pots

We keep the name links link...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So Nintendo released a new trailer for this a few days ago.

To be honest it hasn't really gotten me any more excited. I still don't really like the art style. The original SNES game still looks better to me. Also the music in this trailer is pretty awful.

Overall pretty disappointing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is out on friday, can't wait :D

Previews have been very positive for this game. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They were discussing it on the latest NVC (IGN's Nintendo Podcast).

Awful music, awful art style, some awful tilt controlled levels and boring first world, but then it gets really good after that. I'm expecting 7s and 8s when the reviews hit later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I forgot I had this pre-ordered. I must finish up Bravely Default then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

First Hour of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I really want this game now. The memories of the original are coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pre-ordered it along with DKCTF so should get it next week. I'm not expecting too much but ya never know. When are the reviews due?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If it's even three quarters the original I will be happy. Here's hoping it will be more than something incredibly special.

Apparently this only got a 4/10 from edge.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently this only got a 4/10 from edge.

Hmm, really? Where did you hear this?

So, is that a 4 out of 5 maybe...? lol

When are the reviews actually out?

No edge is out of 10 :p

• Advertisement

Advertisement