Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoshi's Island 3DS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't get why they would use a pre-rendered look for this game. Did nobody go back and look at Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Toy Story etc. and not realise that those games look absolutely appalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't get why they would use a pre-rendered look for this game. Did nobody go back and look at Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Toy Story etc. and not realise that those games look absolutely appalling?

I have a strong optimism that it's because of the 3D. The 3D will make this game look lovely. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D looks absolutely spectacular at times! Different type of graphics but I'm hoping the 3D principle will make this pre-rendering look nice. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt it will considering they are all 2d sprites. It will look really flat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge tend to be relatively kind to 1st party Nintendo stuff, if they've awarded 4/10 that's a really bad sign.
    I hope there's a demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Published by Nintendo but developed by Arzest. Does that make it 3rd Party?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Published by Nintendo but developed by Arzest. Does that make it 3rd Party?

Yep it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That explains it then :P

Still buying it. :)

...... So am I :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just really want SMW 2 to be released on the Wii U virtual console. Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I just really want SMW 2 to be released on the Wii U virtual console. Is that too much to ask?

You're asking them to move the earth for you right there!

As far as I know they are putting it up on the WiiU VC in the next month or so.

I believe the reason they've said why its never put on a VC is cos of the super FX chip.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I believe the reason they've said why its never put on a VC is cos of the super FX chip.

It's pretty much why they don't put it on there. Nintendo really go all out when it comes to emulation with specific emulator wrappers for each VC game they release that are really accurate. Once you throw in a co-processor into the mix emulation becomes a massive ordeal and Nintendo being Nintendo they won't half arse it like every public domain emulator out there (except BSNES which requires a huge amount of processing power since it doesn't half arse emulation).

I don't want the GBA on there either since it had to cut and compromise a lot of content.

Well technically the GBA version is already available to us cool ambassador 3DS people :cool:

But that didn't have a co-processor so was easier to emulate and is quite inferior to the SNES version.

Better than nothing :P although I quite like the DS version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe they should have brought this out on the Snes as well!

Apart from the music this sounds like my kind of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

But that didn't have a co-processor so was easier to emulate and is quite inferior to the SNES version.

In what way? I never had a chance to play the SNES version but nearly finished it on the 3DS.

How inferior is the GBA adaptation? I'm thinking of getting the New Island and GBA emulated tonight on the eshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I really enjoyed it at first. Nothing wrong with anything for the first world or so, really, but after that it starts to become a bit of a chore, which is rare for a Nintendo published game

I still feel some of the scoresx are far too harsh though. It's teetering between a 6/10 and 7/10 for me. I'll decide on which when I'm writing it up after a coffee

Not that much inferior. The colours are washed out and the music is lower quality. The big difference is that lots of the weird effects cause slowdown on the gba or in some cases look far worse or are removed, like when you touch a fuzzy.

like when you touch a fuzzy.

It's been a while, what's it like again ;)

Doesn't look like symths has this in :mad:

Jeremy Parish at USgamer liked it a lot, so did the second reviewer. I'd take his opinion over those muppets at Edge:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/yoshis-new-island-3ds-review-damn-straight-its-a-baby-game

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Jernal wrote: »
    How inferior is the GBA adaptation? I'm thinking of getting the New Island and GBA emulated tonight on the eshop.

The GBA version also has 6 extra levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

cloud493 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like symths has this in :mad:

Smyths Jervis St? They had a load of pre-order boxes for it yesterday so I was planning on getting it there today.

I don't care about the average reviews, I think I'll still enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

elekid wrote: »
    Smyths Jervis St? They had a load of pre-order boxes for it yesterday so I was planning on getting it there today.

I don't care about the average reviews, I think I'll still enjoy it

I just checked the website. It's down as in stock in both Limerick stores. I checked Jervis St. after seeing you're your post, it's in stock there as well.

Advertisement