Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go on a date?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok Im going to ask out a girl in galway and Im not sure where to go, anyone know where to go.
    Must add I dont want to go to dinner, was thinking of asking her to go for a walk down the Prom?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Buy her a cadbury twirl, then go for the prom in gale-force winds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would reconsider your decision not to go for dinner. Whatever you do don't take her to the cinema. Maybe just go for a drink somewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aquarium and walk on the prom is a nice date.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Weather isn't great, maybe a walk from Born down to Wolfe Tone along the river? Then a hot coco in Cupán Tae? Girls love Cupán Tae.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

If you know each other well, then a walk in Barna Woods is more sheltered.

She'd be battered by winds on the Prom - not very romantic unless she's the hardy outdoors type.

A drink in a more private corner of a nice, quiet, warm bar afterwards, where you are both side by side rather than facing each other.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

where you are both side by side rather than facing each other.

Good luck!

are you saying he's ugly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think the prom could be a nice idea but it very much depends on the kind of girl she is. If she's the fashionista type likely to turn up to every first date in heels and with immaculate hair that she's slaved over with the straighteners then the prom is not for her on day one. It does happen. I've definitely seen prom first dates with a casual looking man and way over dressed girl who looks like she should be going somewhere fancy but she's instead tottering along at Blackrock trying to hold her hair in place.

The Aquarium could be nice followed by coffee in the cafe there and you could see if she's up for a walk afterwards. I love Bikos idea of the Wolf Tone walk and the Cupan Tae afterwards too.

Galway really needs something like a cool museum for these kind of situations. Something indoor, that's not drinking or eating or bowling, that offers something to make conversation about and feels casual. Do we actually have anywhere like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you know each other well, then a walk in Barna Woods is more sheltered.

She'd be battered by winds on the Prom - not very romantic unless she's the hardy outdoors type.

A drink in a more private corner of a nice, quiet, warm bar afterwards, where you are both side by side rather than facing each other.

Good luck!
    Take someone you dont know very well for a 'walk in the woods', i assume thats a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok Im going to ask out a girl in galway and Im not sure where to go, anyone know where to go.
    Must add I dont want to go to dinner, was thinking of asking her to go for a walk down the Prom?

Ah I'd a lovely 3rd date up in Galway City last Summer but weather was not as bad as it is these days.

Started with drinks in some auld-fashioned pure country pub (lost for name) and dinner afterward was real nice. We knew each other somewhat well before hand so dinner was lovely and conversation just flowed. How well do you know each other or have in common with each other?

I've a curious mind so we did walk the promenade and explore the City somewhat also, patience of a saint so he had!

Drinks would be advisable & would reduce inhibitions or nerves.

Depends really - 1st date? Know each other well? Time allowed, are their time constraints or evening/night date planned or being thought of? Promenade is really nice, but not if the weather is dodgy.

Oh! You said you are going to ask her out - Hope she says yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hah probably should have said, i had planned on it being like next thursday or friday. I do understand not heading out there tomorrow:o
    Thing about dinners is that I totally hate them, it really knocks me out of my stride.
    Going to look into Cupan Tea and then claim it as my own original idea :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

ask her out first before making plans. SOME galway girls are fussy about going on dates this time of year as they prefer to be single and have there freedom during the summer, FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

I would also recommend Salthill.Like others say,Aquarium,Seapoint,Prom,Crazy golf if weather improves plus Coffee and light bite in one of many cafes (coco i would go to) or early meal plus wine in the Black Cat.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah I'd a lovely 3rd date up in Galway City last Summer but weather was not as bad as it is these days.

Started with drinks in some auld-fashioned pure country pub (lost for name) and dinner afterward was real nice. We knew each other somewhat well before hand so dinner was lovely and conversation just flowed. How well do you know each other or have in common with each other?

I've a curious mind so we did walk the promenade and explore the City somewhat also, patience of a saint so he had!
    You must know men have endless patience when there is even the slightest chance of the ride

swiftman wrote: »
    ask her out first before making plans. SOME galway girls are fussy about going on dates this time of year as they prefer to be single and have there freedom during the summer, FACT!

I never even thought about this tbh, I understand like teens thinking like this but didnt even cross my mind about a 23year old. Guess Ill have to be even more charming :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Buy 2 flaggons and twelve cans to share and head to that green in front of the eye cinema, there are rocks that are over looking the bay where you can drink without being seen by walkers as it's slightly below grass level. Very romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sheesh, it's a date he's asking for, not her hand in marriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Buy 2 flaggons and twelve cans to share and head to that green in front of the eye cinema, there are rocks that are over looking the bay where you can drink without being seen by walkers as it's slightly below grass level. Very romantic

Choose your time carefully, there's a dreadful stink off the mud when the tide is low in the lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I never even thought about this tbh, I understand like teens thinking like this but didnt even cross my mind about a 23year old. Guess Ill have to be even more charming :mad:

HaHa..Welcome to Irish dating. It doesn't really exist. A lot of 23 year old girls will not have been brought on a proper date, ever. If you met her in a night club I'd be thinking the above...if she's in college too.

If you got one of the few that has gone on dates, it's tough to be original in Galway. She likely has been brought to the date friendly places already. What I'm saying is, you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Do a cooking lesson together for a giggle and a feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Funderland is in galway next week. Take her for the ride of her life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Funderland is in galway next week. Take her for the ride of her life.

...and then bring her to Funderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I feel like we all have a vested interest now, can we all come ? Or follow behind casually and see how things are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

A good auld fashioned stalk is healthy for building a strong community. Albeit online.

I feel like we all have a vested interest now, can we all come ? Or follow behind casually and see how things are going?
    I think it would be weird if ye didnt come along, Lets all have a date next thursday in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

"Freedom".... taking it from all angles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Galway2013

I would suggest paint balling but have a bad aim. Woman love inflicting pain on us men

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

OP why not just meet up in a pub for a coffee/ drink, first dates aren't really dates as such, more of a meeting to see how 2 people will get on.

If it goes well and she likes you then the second date is the one to put some thought into.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Don't bring her to a pub as the whole first date! Doesn't give the impression that you care about her much! I think you could make a really fun, romantic, and low pressure date out of Salthill. Go to the aquarium, then get a coffee(or icecream- the galleon do really good sundaes for 5.50 I think) could then if the weather is ok, walk back into town by the prom holding hands perhaps, or go to a bar in salthill. There are some really nice ones there that aren't pub-ish like the oslo or somewhere. Then seal the deal with a kiss at the end of the night ;) I know I'd like a date like that

Just to update how badly this plan went.
    Went out with her on the student night and just couldnt get her alone :(
    Old Scottish guy cockblocked me all night, one of the lads later telling me he was saying" if he wasnt getting her neither was I"
    Took the cowards way of asking her out by text a couple of days later and understandably she didnt reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Just to update how badly this plan went.
    Went out with her on the student night and just couldnt get her alone :(
    Old Scottish guy cockblocked me all night, one of the lads later telling me he was saying" if he wasnt getting her neither was I"
    Took the cowards way of asking her out by text a couple of days later and understandably she didnt reply

Scottish guy ? Let me guess you were in the Hole in the wall ?

Advertisement