Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help badly needed with heat detector

Options
  • 17-04-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Ok so at my place there is a heat detector in the kitchen, it started beeping a few days ago, needed a new battery, didn't think there would be a problem, i have tried and tried and tried to get the cover off the damned thing to replace the battery, to no avail, can anyone tell me how to get the cover off the thing? Its been beeping for days and its driving me mad! I'm attaching a picture of it so you know what I am dealing with, it says on the cover to "turn to remove" but it will not budge!

As far as I can see there are four clips around the side of it stopping it from twisting, but given where they are it would be next to impossible to hold them all in and turn at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the heat detector

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably a good anti- clockwise twist of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I cant get it to move though, it doesn't seem to twist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Meesared wrote: »
    I cant get it to move though, it doesn't seem to twist

is there an arrow on the detector that lines up with an arrow on the base

Bruthal wrote: »
    Probably a good anti- clockwise twist of the unit.

agree ,about 1/4 turn and then it should drop down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If a good turn doesn't do it and its really driving you that mad but and fit a new one

• Advertisement

He would still have to get the problem one down. I'd say a good weetabix fuelled twist will open it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

On some of those detectors, there is a small lug which locks the unit from turning, and it has to be pressed in order to twist the unit open.

LLU wrote: »
    On some of those detectors, there is a small lug which locks the unit from turning, and it has to be pressed in order to twist the unit open.

That might be the solution alright.

Yeah, I'm not sure where that would be though

what make detector is it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Try all above suggestion, I have seen once where installer broke clips fitting the alarm ans supper glues the head to base.
    Or if the plastering around the alarm is lumpy it could through the base out of shape causing an unusually tight grip on the head.
    Give it a good tug anti clockwise or try pull straight down. If this doesn't work try a belt of a hammer.

I have no idea, there's no markings on it indicating make

what does all the writing around the edge of the detector say

There is a small slot in the side of that detector visible in the photo. Maybe that's a release tab.

The one in the middle? theres four of them, no idea how I'm supposed to do them all at once!

No if there was a tab to be released, there would only be one.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking so its likely not that one, I have no idea where it would be though

Advertisement