Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Landing Dublin Airport today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

This thread has been sheer entertainment and well done to all contributors.....felt I was reading the grand national.

On a serious note, I would like to commend all flight crews and particularly captains who had to make serious decisions yesterday in a very threatening environment where the destination airport was chaos re wind and chosen and designated alternative airports closed. This challenges the best of the best re fuel, options etc. I also commend those who didn't even bother to have a "look".....their call, their risk assessment .......command is a position of immense responsibility.

For those people who love to make those snide whispering bar room comments of pilots being glorified bus drivers......well I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

I spent a solid 6 hours on this thread last night/this morning. It was the first night I forgot to switch on the TV. Thanks to everyone for contributing, and also to mech11 for providing the ustream link of EIDW ATC. Great community spirit here last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He did a while back, but it's hidden in the excitement. The landing Aer Lingus had a hydraulic fault, aircraft was fine and has returned to service already, but emergency services were dispatched to the runway as a precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yep

Got it in post 183
    Bsal wrote: »
    The emergency earlier around 6pm was an Aer Lingus A320 with hydraulic problems, they said they expect a normal landing. After landing fire crews followed them to the stand.

It was actually the 3rd and last on topic post in the thread until now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Brilliant thread, great to see the professionalism of the pilots and controllers kicking in with exceptional conditions out there. Watching it of Flight radar, listening to the live stream and followed this thread until the wee hours - knackered in work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

He did a while back, but it's hidden in the excitement. The landing Aer Lingus had a hydraulic fault, aircraft was fine and has returned to service already, but emergency services were dispatched to the runway as a precaution.

Video of the emergency landing is on YouTube. It looks like a fairly normal landing to my untrained eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

microsim wrote: »
    Video of the emergency landing is on YouTube. It looks like a fairly normal landing to my untrained eye...

It needs more dramatic music if it's to make it a more nail biting landing :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Fab thread, from someone who was brought up around planes it was most enjoyable to read last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

was in BHX last night following this thread, thinking that we would be staying there all night, anyway 12.30 comes, just when they are meant to feed you, two hours after original departure time, and they come and load us all into the plane!

I was a bit worried, after hearing of all the missed landings, anyway it was a bumpy ride over, landed around 2.40 am i think! we sat on the tarmac in BHX for quite a while! landing in dublin was a bit on the rough side, although the winds had apparently died down a bit at that time, and the direction had changed also!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

NoDrama wrote: »
    Listening to Charlestown Knock ATC I think. Some activity on that ATC.

They said that there is only 5 spaces left in Shannon.

Manchester is taking diversions, a Birmingham Shamrock turned around and landed there and looks like another from Brussels.
    What do you mean by "only 5 spaces left" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Rocky Bay wrote: »

Only had room for 5 more aircraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Means that MAN will only accept 5 more diversions unless its an emergany. There was confusion about MAN how many MAN would accept but they were full soon after.

Stands and Staff at the airport decide how many they can accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

One of the best threads EVER :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Just in from work wind is picking up again. in the last hour its been 27kts gusting to 39kts.

maybe an interesting night

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

andy_g wrote: »
    Just in from work wind is picking up again. in the last hour its been 27kts gusting to 39kts.

maybe an interesting night

Not again. I stayed up far too late last night following this thread.
    I need sleep :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

3 EI flights out already cancelled tonight but that maybe due to aircraft being out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Not again. I stayed up far too late last night following this thread.
    I need sleep :p

Well my response to dub twr prior to handed off to ground was atleast we made it in first time today. i got a giggle back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

what are the chances this will effect flights on Saturday night? I could be taking a spin from Dublin to Belfast :P

Only had room for 5 more aircraft
    So at some point in time last night Shannon only had room for 5 more aircraft, with all the land in Shannon??? Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know how many were on the ground when capacity was reached?

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Possibly!! Or just stay on the ground till it calms!!
    The 104 has a eta of 4.08!? Never seen it that early!
    Oddly enough I was watching EI104 and EI 132 on Flightradar last night on my new laptop that I received yesterday evening. EI 132 was DIRECTLY behind EI104, is that normal practice ? Not too far behind and off to the left was the UA flight to Shannon (or is it Dublin?). I actually thought at that time that EI104 was way out there after only leaving JFK about 2 hours before hand -and not realizing it had such a strong tailwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was lurking a bit on this thread last night my self, hopefully there was no mayday calls.

But do have a couple of questions/points. It was mentioned re Knock being used, from experience (only going as far as flying in/out as a passenger) does the stand only hold two/three aircraft? Also as the last flight going out is around 5pm, is the control tower manned, or any services on stand-by after this time if there was an aircraft needing to land? Finally, considering its height above sea level, and last nights weather, could it too have been out of use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Really enjoyed following last night.
    I have a question tho,
    If a plane diverts like last night to Belfast and a passenger on board say from China, has a visa to visit Ireland are they allowed get the bus down to Dublin from Belfast? Would their visa cover Entry into the United Kingdom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

So at some point in time last night Shannon only had room for 5 more aircraft, with all the land in Shannon??? Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know how many were on the ground when capacity was reached?

Yup. There are only so many aircraft stands where they can deplane/board pax. There were 15 diversions into Shannon added onto the regular scheduled traffic (a couple of troop + cargo flights in the small hours) so it would fill up pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eastmayo

irish-stew wrote: »
    Was lurking a bit on this thread last night my self, hopefully there was no mayday calls.

But do have a couple of questions/points. It was mentioned re Knock being used, from experience (only going as far as flying in/out as a passenger) does the stand only hold two/three aircraft? Also as the last flight going out is around 5pm, is the control tower manned, or any services on stand-by after this time if there was an aircraft needing to land? Finally, considering its height above sea level, and last nights weather, could it too have been out of use?
    Well the weather was ok at knock yest eve last nite.wind was light enough at the time.just few showers.ya apron can only hold 3 aircraft,but there is also the cargo apron but pro could not use that.ya knock dose close around 6.dont no could they of opened airport last nite.if it was open iam sure they would of got few diversons...that was some nite last nite tho on flightradar24.great app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

It's quite amusing that this is one of the busiest and best threads ever in this forum with 650+ posts.... And about 3 of them are on topic :D

I can't help but feel entirely responsible by completely derailing things with post #3. I did consider starting a new thread, but saw huge potential in this one.

Good times last night, was wrecked all day but definitely worth it!

Hopefully things get better for the likes of EI565 and BA26W. I'm sure they will be back in the sky someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If you thought last night was windy, you should have seen me cycling home from college this evening...

... all over the shop. declared an emergency on Rathgar rd, an absolute mare of a commute.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I know it's a bit late to be thinking of this now but what's the legal situation on running a live ATC feed? Can I do this again without someone pulling me in front of a judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Mech1 wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late to be thinking of this now but what's the legal situation on running a live ATC feed? Can I do this again without someone pulling me in front of a judge?

In Ireland it's perfectly legal, but AFAIK it's not allowed in England or India, so be careful there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭thomasj

donvito99 wrote: »
    If you thought last night was windy, you should have seen me cycling home from college this evening...

... all over the shop. declared an emergency on Rathgar rd, an absolute mare of a commute.:D

I see people are posting on twitter some major delays at dublin airport due to weather conditions

Advertisement