Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Landing Dublin Airport today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One lad I work with told me of his ordeal on his Ryanair flight lastnight. They were fortunate to only be diverted to Shannon and not over in England in the wee hours of the morning with his young family, as many others did. At one point he said he actually gave up! The pilot made an attempt to land but the plane, he said, was shaking and rocking back n forth so much he though that was it! They wouldn't make it!

It must have been terrifying for people on all flights lastnight and I just hope that it won't deter people from flying again and from enjoying all this country has to offer when you do land safely.

So many people were grounded at destinations they didn't ask for, but was done so for safety reasons & I hope people will accept that in time. It may not have been ideal, but at least landings were done safely.

Honestly cannot praise all staff involved with Aviation enough for all they endure and not just last night. Well Done to all! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Yup. There are only so many aircraft stands where they can deplane/board pax. There were 15 diversions into Shannon added onto the regular scheduled traffic (a couple of troop + cargo flights in the small hours) so it would fill up pretty quickly.
    Once a plane is emptied can it not be moved somewhere else so that stand can be used by the next inbound plane and this procedure repeated over and over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Once a plane is emptied can it not be moved somewhere else so that stand can be used by the next inbound plane and this procedure repeated over and over?

Only so many remote stands in some cases, and staff, and places to dump pax inside the airport etc.

Followed this till about half 1 then collapsed asleep and had an insane amount of pages left to read when I woke up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

MYOB wrote: »
    Only so many remote stands in some cases, and staff, and places to dump pax inside the airport etc.

Followed this till about half 1 then collapsed asleep and had an insane amount of pages left to read when I woke up.

I went asleep and woke up to feed a baby 2 hours later. When I saw 300+ new posts I was genuinely afraid one of the planes had crashed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

so who wants an off topic thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Does anyone know what is happening in snn tonight? Have someone coming in from manchester tonight. Just saw there was a delay already from heathrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JillyQ wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is happening in snn tonight? Have someone coming in from manchester tonight. Just saw there was a delay already from heathrow.

Manchester flight running normally. I think the Heathrow delay is owed to swapping over of aircraft at LHR when the aircraft they were swapping to was delayed itself

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

andy_g wrote: »
    so who wants an off topic thread?

Make it the off topic thread that's been badly needed for years :) people can come here for flight radar and stuff rather than making a new thread for small questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Manchester flight running normally. I think the Heathrow delay is owed to swapping over of aircraft at LHR when the aircraft they were swapping to was delayed itself

Thank you for that highlydebased. Hopefully thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Friend of mine was on a flight from Alicante to Dublin last night. He said when they were in the air, the captain warned of high winds and said he would land the plane as best he could.

On the journey, the plane was wobbling and was flying on its' side at one point. He said everyone on the plane was screaming and crying and holding hands with each other.

Friend asked a steward why the plane was flying and surely they knew what the weather was like but the steward said they didn't.
    Plane landed unannounced by the captain, in Liverpool and some passengers got off the plane and refused to get back on.

Eventually at 5am the plane took off again and landed in Dublin and there were fire trucks and ambulances waiting for the plane.

When the plane landed, the tail of it rose into the air and there was smoke coming from the wheels.

Thankfully everyone was OK but he said he was absolutely terrified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Oddly enough I was watching EI104 and EI 132 on Flightradar last night on my new laptop that I received yesterday evening. EI 132 was DIRECTLY behind EI104, is that normal practice ? Not too far behind and off to the left was the UA flight to Shannon (or is it Dublin?). I actually thought at that time that EI104 was way out there after only leaving JFK about 2 hours before hand -and not realizing it had such a strong tailwind.

Yea there's usually about 30mins between the 104 and 132

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of mine was on a flight from Alicante to Dublin last night. He said when they were in the air, the captain warned of high winds and said he would land the plane as best he could.

On the journey, the plane was wobbling and was flying on its' side at one point. He said everyone on the plane was screaming and crying and holding hands with each other.

Friend asked a steward why the plane was flying and surely they knew what the weather was like but the steward said they didn't.
    Plane landed unannounced by the captain, in Liverpool and some passengers got off the plane and refused to get back on.

Eventually at 5am the plane took off again and landed in Dublin and there were fire trucks and ambulances waiting for the plane.

When the plane landed, the tail of it rose into the air and there was smoke coming from the wheels.

I didn't see this is in the Daily Mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

tennis12 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed following last night.
    I have a question tho,
    If a plane diverts like last night to Belfast and a passenger on board say from China, has a visa to visit Ireland are they allowed get the bus down to Dublin from Belfast? Would their visa cover Entry into the United Kingdom?

I'm open to correction, but I imagine so long as they don't leave the airport they technically aren't entering the UK. So I think they would have to fly Belfast to Dublin rather than getting the bus or train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

A 737 cannot roll 90 degrees. Turbulence happens in flight. Passengers get scared but if you are crew you are used to it and see it as a little run of the mill. Often what people view as "terrifying" is actually tame by some aviation stadards

The cruise conditions lastnight were nothing too hairy bar the odd rough bit, however again my above statement re degrees of "chop" applies

There are fire trucks on weather watch at the airport due to the high winds. There is always smoke from the wheels when you touch down due to the rubber contacting the runway surface and the "tail in the air" sensation is a sensory illusion caused by the quick deceleration of an aircraft. Similarly it can seem like the nose is lifting early on take off due to the acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

LeftBase wrote: »
    There are fire trucks on weather watch at the airport due to the high winds.
    I never heard of this before, care to explain what goes on here and the idea behind it for us on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Hi all, just in. any action? any need for comms tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That flight was holding before going for an approach, that's why people got that impression.

Was great fun last night, 1st time I heard of plane spotting being a spectator sport. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Guy's, I followed this until 2 last night, I never even knew you could not only track the aircraft but cockpit view and audio aswell! I'm hooked :-) well done to all for posting the links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Mech1 wrote: »
    Was great fun last night, 1st time I heard of plane spotting being a spectator sport. :D

Was quality...people keeping score and everything haha.

Actually looking forward to getting up to the viewing spot meself for a while saturday night. have all the apps on the phone ready to rock!

phone will double as my own atc/radar/camera dealy :D

• Advertisement

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Guy's, I followed this until 2 last night, I never even knew you could not only track the aircraft but cockpit view and audio aswell! I'm hooked :-) well done to all for posting the links

cock pit isnt perfect, would like to see an actual cockpit, or flight simulator plug in...surely wouldnt even be that hard...considering its just coods input into the program. but live weather effects and lighting would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I never heard of this before, care to explain what goes on here and the idea behind it for us on the ground?

To be honest I'm not 100% exactly what they look for, however my brother told me that a lot of the Rescue units were parked all over the airfield the last 2 days and afaik due to the extreme weather they keep an eye out for damage to items on the airfield such as items that come loose and blow around the place(on to runways and taxi ways) or possible damage to vital structures on the field etc. They can also be quickly used to give reports or conditions to airfield ops and ATC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

and there was smoke coming from the wheels.

Not windy during this landing

DSC_0335_zps175d5099.jpg

El Spearo wrote: »

Actually looking forward to getting up to the viewing spot meself for a while saturday night. have all the apps on the phone ready to rock!

ipad is a great tool for doing all that, with the scanner on the car roof for comms.

ah the galaxy s 2 is a big aul yolk too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mech1 wrote: »
    El Spearo wrote: »

Man, we should all go up on Saturday night, bag of cans, bit of a sing song.

And then as a plane is coming into land, make the "oooooooooooo........WHEY" noise as it lands like what some of them continental footy fans do when there is a corner or goal kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This was the scene in T2 at 05:30 this morning. I queued for 2.5 hours to rebook but no joy, it was only a day-trip after all so no point.

533919_10151637942900362_872496237_n.jpg

no no no no...the entire thing last night brought nothing but joy..no body suffered while we were all totally happy last night watching the planes...

I for one was indeed sitting at home going ooooooooooooo whey!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I reckon Cityjet could have sneaked in on the sidelines and scored one more for the EIs last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I reckon Cityjet could have sneaked in on the sidelines and scored one more for the EIs last night

Replays are inconclusive.

Actually, did you know you can replay flightradar24 and speed it up?

Try it for last night and relive every glorious landing in HD. Live. Okey doke.

Advertisement