Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai step into the battle against noisy, anti-social neighbours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So why don't the Guards tackle the anti social behaviour then?

In defence of landlords it is extremely difficult to get someone out of a property who does not want to leave and the Guards are not very cooperative when it comes to supplying evidence to any subsequent tribunal or hearing. Where it comes to an actual eviction the Guards are reluctant to send anyone down to monitor it.

And in the event of an eviction the very council mentioned in the article are obliged to house the tenants somewhere else so just moving the problem along.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Another weird Irish way of tackling a problem. If tenants are engaged in illegal activities then surely the police should be investigating and sending a file to the DPP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Gardai cannot do anything to the landlord in this situation anyway other than make a complaint through the PRTB. They have no statutory powers to intervene in a private rental situation unless a crime is taking place.

It looks to me like this is a Revenue lead operation to find un registered landlords and a councillor has jumped on the antisocial behaviour issue to make a name for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LOL. When you want the Garda to step in they say its a civil matter, nothing to do with them.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1327040&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This could be a somewhat dangerous path. I have no problem with tackling antisocial behavior but I know myself Ive lived in houses and been in friends houses where complaints were made by neighbors to gardai simply as an intimidation tactic to get students / young people / foreign nationals out of houses. Id imagine a lot of landlords would rather just boot out perfectly good tenants rather than deal with gardai threatening them , giving bad neighbors in owned houses the upper hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Reads like an article from the Daily Mail.

A lot of words with no real content, and a quote from a "senior sourse" which translates to me as a quote the journo made up.

The Gardai have no enforcement powers on a landlord in the manner implied in the article. It's a kin to forcing a car hire company to ban a driver caught drink driving in a hire car.

Advertisement