Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Chasing Tail

• 17-04-2013 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. My dog has started to chase his tail quite a lot. I've noticed him doing it in the garden, but it's mostly indoors. It definitely seems to be habit he's developing, rather than something he does casually. I've read that it can be a sign of boredom, but I don't really know what else I can do for him. He has loads of chew toys, and he gets daily exercise. He also gets plenty of attention from me, as I love messing about with him. It's not a huge problem at the moment, so maybe it's just normal puppy behaviour (he's almost 9 months)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Tail-chasing is a very common behavior in an active puppy. Wolves and
    foxes do it, too, as do many members of the cat family. Why? Because
    the tail is always there. It wiggles in a most intriguing fashion. It
    follows them everywhere. At an early age, young critters haven't yet
    got a clear idea of where their own bodies end and the rest of the
    world begins, so the tail seems like an independent entity to be
    pursued. And, of course, once they start to chase the tail, IT MOVES.
    Fascinating!

Most vets will tell you that tail-chasing is nothing to be alarmed
    about in a very young dog, such as your four-month-old pup. It may
    seem bizarre to us, but from the puppy's standpoint, the tail is just
    another moving object to be investigated, hunted down, sometimes even
    bitten. But when older dogs chase their tails, this may be a sign of
    anxiety, boredom, frustration, canine compulsive disorder, or physical
    problems such as fleas and irritated anal glands. The tendency toward
    tail-chasing behavior is sometimes genetic in certain breeds
    (including bull terriers, fox terriers, and Jack Russell terriers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP, if you worry your dog may be bored, I'd suggest introducing some mind games, like training, puzzles, hiding food around the house and telling your dog to "go find". Things like that. It's lovely to play with, and walk your dog, but if he's really intelligent, or easily bored, adding an element of training will help work his mind and tire him out.

If the chasing is excessive, I would be inclined to discourage it, just in case it develops into a habit. When you see him doing it, catch his attention, and give him something else to do.

Also, maybe check his tail for any slight injuries, bald patches etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would be inclined to one thing before you go looking for any other answers OP: go to your vet, and get this tail-chasing completely checked out. A lot of tail-chasing starts due to a physical or medical problem.. sometimes the tail-chasing is the only obvious symptom.
    The fact that it has really only got going recently, and your dog is an adult (albeit a young one), I would not be inclined to think that this is just a puppy playing with its tail. If you try to address this behaviourally, and it turns out to be a medical problem, you'll have been wasting your time. It is absolutely paramount, in any case of repetitive behaviour, and any case of a sudden onset of unusual behaviour, to get medical causes ruled in or out.
    There are a lot of reasons why dogs might chase their tails, but this reasonably sudden-onset, and the fact that it's getting worse, simply MUST be checked out by your vet: and I mean X-rays to check the whole spine, hips, knees; an anal gland check, and check of the general anal area.

Incidentally, what breed or mix is in your dog?

Advertisement