Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winchester Super Magnum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

looks interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭mixerbarcoe

any idea when it will be over here... was thinking about getting a .17hmr but think i might hold out for this if it wont be to long..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

any idea when it will be over here... was thinking about getting a .17hmr but think i might hold out for this if it wont be to long..

Could be easily looking at 2015..

They´re talking about the new hornet so long now and theres no signs of it over here only the odd 2 custom made ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭mixerbarcoe

jesus i wont be waiting so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

why would one want another rimfire a bit better than a hmr,when one could just get a 223? unless ammno is going to be alot cheaper

• Advertisement

sniperman wrote: »
    why would one want another rimfire a bit better than a hmr,when one could just get a 223? unless ammno is going to be alot cheaper

If it turns out to be the round they say it'll be it will leave the hmr in the dust..
    And im a huge fan of the hmr..

As a rimfire it will be cheaper to shoot than a centrefire.. But in Ireland you'd never know what they'll charge for it..

Its shooting at 3000fps for one.. A hmr shoots a 20gr at 2300 fps. It is said to have the same velocity at 200 yards that the hmr has it 50 yards.. and only a 4" drop at 200.

So if these figures turn out to be true "a bit better" will be a big understatement.

garv123 wrote: »
    If it turns out to be the round they say it'll be it will leave the hmr in the dust..

As a rimfire it will be cheaper to shoot than a centrefire.. But in Ireland you'd never know what they'll charge for it..

Its shooting at 3000fps for one.. A hmr shoots a 20gr at 2300 fps. It is said to have the same velocity at 200 yards that the hmr has it 50 yards.. and only a 4" drop at 200.

So if these figures turn out to be true "a bit better" will be a big understatement.
    yes,maybe the only reason would be the cost of ammno over the 223,but would one really need something else between a hmr and 223,i mean what would one be shooting with this round that hmr or 223 could not?

sniperman wrote: »
    yes,maybe the only reason would be the cost of ammno over the 223,but would one really need something else between a hmr and 223,i mean what would one be shooting with this round that hmr or 223 could not?

You could lose the hmr and use it for the same thing you used the hmr but have further range and flatter shooting..

Not everyone goes for a .223.. It would fit in nicely with a .243 for foxing and deer and the wsm for rabbits, crows, magpies and foxes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

if those figures are true we might never see the round but if we do im gona have alot of fun attempting to see how true they are:-)

valerossi wrote: »
    if those figures are true we might never see the round but if we do im gona have alot of fun attempting to see how true they are:-)

The case is from a nail gun that winchester already manufacture.

• Advertisement

The case is from a nail gun that winchester already manufacture.

Proper job:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

With those sort of figures being quoted this is the sort of round that will promote stupid risky shots, wait for the bragging "I shot a Fox at 400 meters with my WSM" type stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The people who will take a risky shot will be the same who will do it with a .22 or hmr etc.. A new cartridge won't make people disrespectful or stupid they will already be both if they choose to take those shots. I am looking forward to it and I will definitely be getting one.

You would think hope they would have gotten it out of their system with the hmr and .22 and know its limitations by now, but I suppose as Forest Gump said "Stupid is as Stupid does"

The Aussie wrote: »
    With those sort of figures being quoted this is the sort of round that will promote stupid risky shots, wait for the bragging "I shot a Fox at 400 meters with my WSM" type stuff....

What you haven't? I did was more like 450 but whos counting, went in his eye and out his arse.

not:-)

valerossi wrote: »
    What you haven't? I did was more like 450 but whos counting, went in his eye and out his arse.

not:-)

Well if you count the shot on top of a cliff from point to point was 857m, I picked the flea off his ear for him, it seemed to be annoying him somewhat :pac:

The Aussie wrote: »
    You would think hope they would have gotten it out of their system with the hmr and .22 and know its limitations by now, but I suppose as Forest Gump said "Stupid is as Stupid does"
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Distance is nothing for those that can shoot, range finders, calculators and dial up scopes. once the bullet has the energy,
    you'll always get the muppet but if the guards decide he's fit enough for the licence, who are to judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Any sign of the WSMR in the shops.Either in Britain or here.I see there is 4 different types of ammo for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Any sign of the WSMR in the shops.Either in Britain or here.I see there is 4 different types of ammo for it now.

It doesn't seem to have taken off as well as was expected. Haven't a clue why though, your getting almost center fire performance in FPS and range for rim fire money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

I was curious about this calibre myself, I have a hmr but would be so much happier with 20grain balistic tips on foxes instead of the 17s.

I called Ardee about it this morning.
    I reckoned that they seem to import a lot of rifles and ammo so should have a fair idea what is goin on.

They informed me that they werent aware of any in the country, had recieved no requsest on pricing from any dealers they supply to and had never had any ammunition in stock and until there was a demand for it this wouldnt change.

A helpful and interesting conversation actually,
    Looks like we will have to wait another while to see them arrive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I live in a rural county in the UK, one, however, that has over 38,000 licensed firearms and who knows how many shotguns. Talking to a couple of RFD who are members of our gun club, and to the county HQ firearms Enquiries Officers who go around seeing prospective shooters who have applied for a FAC, five of whom are also members in our club, I'm getting a very firm impression that there is almost no interest of any kind in this high-priced non-reloadable cartridge.

Asking this evening at an shooting session got me blank stares from three gamekeepers when I mentioned this new calibre. 'What will it do that .223/17HMR won't do at 150m?' seemed to be the general question.

It's looking to me like a solution for which there is no problem at all.

tac

To me it looks like a no brainer. Hmr muzzle energy at almost 200m and goin by U.S. prices, still in the rimfire price range.

Ammo price was the main reason i went for my hmr, Biggest bang without having to pay centrefire ammo prices.

Unfortunately for Irish shooters it will probably never get off the ground as the rest of the world can reload their centrefire brass for similar money,.

hrcbob - and that is the winner, Sir. In the rest of the world, that huge cartridge is an anomaly, not the norm, and with 5.56 ammunition that can be reloaded, is faster, has a far longer range and in may locations is cheaper, it would be a brave trader in Ireland who brought it in. You never know though, eh?

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    hrcbob - and that is the winner, Sir. In the rest of the world, that huge cartridge is an anomaly, not the norm, and with 5.56 ammunition that can be reloaded, is faster, has a far longer range and in may locations is cheaper, it would be a brave trader in Ireland who brought it in. You never know though, eh?

tac

The thing is i think it would do well in Ireland simply because we cannot reload.

Im sure there are plenty more hmr owners like me who have had a fox in the scope at 170+ yards and thought to themselves id love just that little bit more stopping power but instead have to put the safety back on.
    Hell id even be happier if i could get a 20 grain ballistic tip hmr round.

U.S. wsm ammo prices seem to be in the $17 \$18 per 50 range compared to the $13/$14 for hmr.

Translate that to here and you could assume a price of about 20 yo yo per 50. Far cheaper than any good quality centrefire round and plenty of stopping power for anything you would need to point it at.

hrcbob wrote: »
    The thing is i think it would do well in Ireland simply because we cannot reload.

Good point.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

tac foley wrote: »
    Good point.

tac

Quite possible but I don't think Browning/Winchester is going to push it to much in a market that's less than a millionth fraction of peanuts to them.

I was curious about this calibre myself, I have a hmr but would be so much happier with 20grain balistic tips on foxes instead of the 17s.

I reckoned that they seem to import a lot of rifles and ammo so should have a fair idea what is goin on.

They informed me that they werent aware of any in the country, had recieved no requsest on pricing from any dealers they supply to and had never had any ammunition in stock and until there was a demand for it this wouldnt change.

Thanks for the info.Would have thought myself that the WSMR would be a big hit here in Ireland.Might even displace the HMR in time.But if no one is going to take the plunge and import a few it will never get a chance to prove itself.Would probably be a safer bullet in built up areas than the .22/.223.What kind of range are you getting with the HMR on foxs?

Just want to resurrect this. I know a few dealers have theses and I expect they are being sold. What are the opinions of the WSMR now that we have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

Nice to hear the WSM is here, can you tell us which dealers are supplying them.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Ardee sports has them but he is dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Paddy carley had them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭LONG DRAG

Head south about 12 k to Top gun in Drogheda, ivor sells Rifle and Ammo 17 Mag,

Has anyone here any experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Has anyone here any experience with them.
    +1 on that
    I never realised they were here;any idea on Ammo prices per 50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

tikkamark wrote: »
    +1 on that
    I never realised they were here;any idea on Ammo prices per 50?

€25 for 50 rounds quoted by Paddy Carley to me last year

Advertisement