Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a switch on lights under cabinets?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    On the scrounge for some free advice. I just put in some lights under the presses to give more light on the counter. Happy with them but my problem is now that I have to individually turn them on and off and its a bit of a pain in the backside.

My question is can I put a switch that will look like a light switch on the side of the fridge beside the microwave? The power wire runs near it and I reckon it the best place to keep it looking tidy.

I'm a pretty novice electrician but would consider myself decent at DIY. Tried to get some advice from a man in a hardware shop but he had me putting wires down the back of the wall, really hoping for a nice easy job.

I've a few pictures that might make it easier to see what I mean. The power supply is over the fridge up pretty high, I ran the cable up there by drilling through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks Calgary, think you could regret replying though :P
    So it a blue and brown wire that the lights have. I was hoping to use this switch to turn em on and off. What wire do I put where or have I the wrong switch? I was picturing two wires in one side out the other, stick it onto the wood and hey presto it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

This is the switch, phone is a nightmare! There's no earth wire on the lights. It said on the lights that they were double insulated or something. Haven't a clue what that means. Does this make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Yea mate course ya can a one-way switch will do the jobs and just link the lights in series. simplys:D

Note just make sure to turn off power before working on electrical items:D

the lights should be connected in parallel not series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Put a switched fused spur on it not a one way switch.

Pull out the plug you have supplying the lights and cut the flex down where you want the switch to go. the flex coming from the plug into the supply side (possibly labelled IN) and the flex going to the lights in the load side (possibly labelled OUT).

They're wired in parallel but no need for you to be concerned about that it'll be done without you realising.

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Excel-Screwless-Satin-Chrome-13A-Switched-Fused-Spur-Connection-Unit-White-Insert-pr-24037.html

Brown - Live
    Blue- Neutral
    Green/yellow Earth.

Make sure the power is off, plugged out before you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

m.j.w wrote: »
    the lights should be connected in parallel not series.
    think he was saying lights in series with switch . Lights in parallel with each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i assumed he meant daisy-chained

not actually series connected

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Put a switched fused spur on it not a one way switch.

Pull out the plug you have supplying the lights and cut the flex down where you want the switch to go. the flex coming from the plug into the supply side (possibly labelled IN) and the flex going to the lights in the load side (possibly labelled OUT).

They're wired in parallel but no need for you to be concerned about that it'll be done without you realising.

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Excel-Screwless-Satin-Chrome-13A-Switched-Fused-Spur-Connection-Unit-White-Insert-pr-24037.html

Brown - Live
    Blue- Neutral
    Green/yellow Earth.

Make sure the power is off, plugged out before you do anything.

This is the way to do it but change the 13Amp fuse that comes with the spur to a 3Amp

Advertisement