Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

accepted onto housing list

• 17-04-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

hi there,

had a meeting today and got accepted onto the housing list. the woman gave me a form to confirm that i was accepted onto the housing list so i have it for rent allowance. just a question regarding rent allowance; when i find a place that accepts rent allowance will i need to pay the first months rent myself? or does the rent allowance also cover that? my cwo said they will pay the deposit as it is my first time.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I'd say they will pay your first months rent, but not necessarily in advance of moving in. Just explain to any prospective landlords what the situation is. They'll either be glad to get you as a tenant, and put up with getting paid the rent when you rent allowance is paid out, or they'll hold out for someone not on rent allowance.

cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

No bother, happy house hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I would suggest if at all possible to have the first months rent in cash when viewing a place that you like & accepts RA.
    A landlord will take you more seriously if you have cash ready in hand, and at least you don't have to stump up the deposit yourself, you are pretty fortunate in that regard.
    The social welfare will pay your first months rent- but in arrears.
    It also depends a lot on where you are located, some areas will issue rent allowance payments weekly at the post office, some pay you by a monthly cheque in arrears by post.
    Many landlords are not keen on RA tenants (see irishlandlord.com & various threads here on boards) so your best bet is to have as much money - pref the whole 1st months rent ready so you can get the keys and move in.
    Good luck on finding someplace you like.

• Advertisement

cheers guys. one last question, after i get everything signed by the landlord etc and send them into the housing list office how long will it take for them to process it and backdate the rent? (tallaght welfare if that helps get a more accurate answer)

Advertisement