Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passion Fruit Coulis - Where to buy?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help. :)

Nevin Maguire did a Passionfruit and Orange Jelly with vanilla yoghurt and granita desert this evening. He used a shop bought passion fruit coulis that he said you could source in any good health shop or deli. I've never seen this in any, but then again, I don't have that many in my area.

Would anyone know where I could source the above?....I'm in Dublin.

Many thanks,
    GSW :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I don't know where you can buy it but in the event you don't find it, it is so so easy to make yourself that I would definitely recommend doing that instead. I always make my own coulis and you can make however much you want then and don't have to go to the hassle of going on a hunt for it! Here's a recipe:

1 cup fresh passion fruit (about 5 passionfruit cut in half, pulp and juice scooped out)
    1 cup sugar

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the passion fruit pulp/juice and sugar.
    2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, simmer for 3-5 minutes.
    3. Strain if you prefer smooth texture and without seeds (not recommended), set aside to cool.
    4. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I thought that Merkin, Nevin said you would need a lot of passion fruit to make it fresh, and it was a better idea to buy it. He certainly used a large jug of it. If I needed just a small amount I'd definitely make it but this recipe used quarter pint which seems like a lot of fruit.

Worth a try though, thanks for that! :)

You'd get 1/2 pint (or around) from Merkin's recipe above

I thought that Merkin, Nevin said you would need a lot of passion fruit to make it fresh, and it was a better idea to buy it. He certainly used a large jug of it. If I needed just a small amount I'd definitely make it but this recipe used quarter pint which seems like a lot of fruit.

Worth a try though, thanks for that! :)

I love Nevin so I'd take his advice too! The dish sounds sublime so if you do make it would you mind posting up the recipe? It sounds gorgeous!!

I hope this works M.....:) I'm not the best at posting stuff!.....You could do the 'ol C&P way!!...

It looked gorgeous!....

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0416/3788-passion-fruit-and-orange-jelly-with-vanilla-yoghurt-and-granita/

• Advertisement

Oh my good God I think I've died and gone to head. Thank you! There's dribble on my keyboard as we speak! This looks SUBLIME! :P Nyum!

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh my good God I think I've died and gone to head. Thank you! There's dribble on my keyboard as we speak! This looks SUBLIME! :P Nyum!

And he served it in the dinkiest glasses ever!....I'd buy them too if anyone knows where they are sold!.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I wondered when he said about buying the passion fruit juice too, I have never seen that in a supermarket and it is something I would have bought if I saw it. I always buy passion fruit if they are on offer and freeze the pulp so I have a stock of it.

I think it is far more likely he is buying it from a commercial supplier and not his local Tesco!

Like here for example http://www.pallasfoods.eu/apps/foodbook/product/FR785Z

phormium wrote: »
    I wondered when he said about buying the passion fruit juice too, I have never seen that in a supermarket and it is something I would have bought if I saw it. I always buy passion fruit if they are on offer and freeze the pulp so I have a stock of it.

I think it is far more likely he is buying it from a commercial supplier and not his local Tesco!

Like here for example http://www.pallasfoods.eu/apps/foodbook/product/FR785Z

I agree phormium - I'm sure the restaurant does buy in bulk but Nevin seemed quite positive that it was handy to get.

I still have faith in sourcing it....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

• Advertisement

wolfmoon87 - you're a gem!!....

Thanks a million!....:):):)

I've probably looked at that a million times and never actually seen it!!.....

Advertisement