Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does interpreting in court work?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My sister received a summons for speeding and she is concerned about court.

She has a moderate level of English, so she asked me to translate for her in court.

Would someone be so kind as to explain how in court interpreting works? Could I be my sister's interpreter(I am only 17 so that might be a problem as well)? If no, are there any interpreters available on site?

Thanks very much in advance.

Edit: Her native language is Hungarian, it might be relevant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

While there is a right to a free interpreter for criminal matters certain judges may think for speeding offences that it is not required. If your English is fluent and you feel upto it there should be no issue, but best to contact District Court office before hand and ask.

The way it works is first you would be sworn that is swear on the bible or affirmation that you will well and truly interpret. Then your sister will take the normal oath which you can translate for her and give her evidence if she needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Soobs

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Honestly I am not sure If I am up to it, so that is why I was hoping for an on site interpreter, but I guess we will see how things turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Soobs wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Honestly I am not sure If I am up to it, so that is why I was hoping for an on site interpreter, but I guess we will see how things turn out.

If you require an interpreter you will need to inform the Court before hand, its not possible to have every language catered for in every court in the country. Best to call into your local District Court office they will assist. There is as I said a right to have an interpreter and to have one paid for by the state.

Article 6 3 (e) of the European Convention on Human Rights,

(e) to have the free assistance of an interpreter if he cannot understand or speak the language used in court.

Advertisement