Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sham Marriages/Human Trafficking in Ireland

• 17-04-2013 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Just watched tv3s documentary on sham marriages in Ireland - Irelands fake brides.

We have a situation where poor young women from former communist bloc countries are marrying mostly Pakistani and Nigerian men for a fee - so the men can reside here and eventually gain citizenship. In 2010, Latvian authorities urged the Irish government to clamp down on this. They have yet to do so - it is still not illegal in Ireland to organise a sham marriage for residency purposes. The Latvians described Ireland as a paradise for sham marriages - as the guards are powerless as to stop them.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/400-a-year-trafficked-for-sham-marriages-221367.html

The latvian government are not complaining for the sake of it - the women are usually promised a new job, a large wedge of cash and a new life in Ireland. But in reality they are locked up in an apartment, with a man they barely know, in a country that they know even less about. Some are subject to rape and abuse.

There was a debate on the subject three years ago in the Dail http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-11-02.63.0&s=Immigration%2C+Residence+and+Protection+Bill+2008

Yet here we are three years later and no new legislation has been passed to solve the issue. I guess the Latvians will just have to suck it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

DEY TOOK ER WIMMIMS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

lkionm wrote: »
    DEY TOOK ER WIMMIMS

Are you on crack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yet here we are three years later and no new legislation has been passed to solve the issue. I guess the Latvians will just have to suck it up.

Did you have to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yes. they will.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Are you on crack?

No, they were raisins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

"My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" is the only sham marriage I'd have any interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Big surprise - people who want a better life take advantage of a lax system.

It ranks pretty low on the whole: Things the Government need to immediately fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

AH come on, if the women are that naive they need their heads examined.

Sergeant wrote: »

It ranks pretty low on the whole: Things the Government need to immediately fix.
    Pretty lucky you don't have any influence as to what goes on that list so, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My dads friend had a man from south east asia with a latvian women and two children (couldnt speak a word of english) who only wanted a house for a few weeks. Probably a quickie marriage and then leave.

How can a non eu citizen get a residency permit for ireland when they are marrying a eastern european?

• Advertisement

:eek:

Bit of human trafficking, what harm.

I wonder if your sister was treated in such a way, would you be so dismissive of the issue.

Me thinks not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Nice one bruva!

hfallada wrote: »
    My dads friend had a man from south east asia with a latvian women and two children (couldnt speak a word of english) who only wanted a house for a few weeks. Probably a quickie marriage and then leave.

How can a non eu citizen get a residency permit for ireland when they are marrying a eastern european?

If a non EU citizen is married to an EU citizen, they can reside with their EU citizen spouse in any of the other 26 EU member states, other than their own.

hfallada wrote: »

Not in the biblical sense surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I wonder if your sister was treated in such a way, would you be so dismissive of the issue.

Me thinks not.

I'm sure this national scandal of Latvian women locked in apartments because of their Nigerian and Pakistani husbands is about to to hit the news any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure this national scandal of Latvian women locked in apartments because of their Nigerian and Pakistani husbands is about to to hit the news any day.

The Latvian government think its a pretty big deal. They were practically begging our shower to clamp down on the issue. Funnily enough, they dont like their citizens being trafficked.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/400-a-year-trafficked-for-sham-marriages-221367.html

Phoenix wrote: »
    Wayne me aul flower how are ya?

Who are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I was a student, I worked as a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant. I never went into the kitchen and only dealt with the two chinese girls at the desk, who never seemed to ever take a day off.

One quiet day as I was waiting for an order to be prepared, they called me over and asked if I had any female friends who would be interested in marrying their friend, who was willing to pay. I laughed politely, but then realised that they were serious and were waiting for me to answer. I told them "Umm, I'll ask around". A customer came in and they shooed me away, and that was the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Advertisement

When I was a student, I worked as a delivery driver for a chinese restaurant. I never went into the kitchen and only dealt with the two chinese girls at the desk, who never seemed to ever take a day off.

One quiet day as I was waiting for an order to be prepared, they called me over and asked if I had any female friends who would be interested in marrying their friend, who was willing to pay. I laughed politely, but then realised that they were serious and were waiting for me to answer. I told them "Umm, I'll ask around". A customer came in and they shooed me away, and that was the end of it.
    Did she marry him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

See here we go if you say you want something done about it your racist or xenophobic because everybody has a right to be happily married even if it means abuse and rape of the women involved
    Typically the Irish way

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

I know a byor who married a sham from Mayfield. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Are you on crack?

Are you?
    Whats your obsession with forigeners? Every thread you start is a poorly veiled attack on immigrants?

Me thinks not.

Sham marraiges do not equate to human trafficking, but sure don't let the facts get in the way of your extremist xenophobic agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I brought this up in 2010, thread got locked.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69029041

Girls bought and sold, it's a damn tragedy is what it is.
    Not very news worthy apparently.

I bet ya this thread won't get very many responses whereas a Tayto vs Kings crisps thread will get 100s.
    People just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are you?
    Whats your obsession with forigeners? Every thread you start is a poorly veiled attack on immigrants?
    If you don't have anything to add to the thread, then PM the user. Don't drag this off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The mind is hazy, but iirc, this may be connected to a case whereby a Welsh lady married a Nigerian gent and wished to reside in I reland, but the husband was refused his application to stay,and the wife brought it to court and won. An Irish citizen would have to jump through hoops to get the same treatment for a non-EU spouse.

However, this loophole won't be addressed any time soon, rightly or wrongly, it's not a priority for this Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I saw the programme. As I was watching it, I kept thinking how if the reporter had started a thread on here about his findings, he would have been booed off the site by people who would presume he had an "anti-immigrant agenda".
    Believe it or not, I actually know the Kin-pin and Main focus of the whole documentary "David".......he was my friend until I saw the show, could only imagine the look on my face as I sat there watching it

IrishFeeney92, can you tell us more about "David"? What's his story? Do you think you will speak to him again to see what he has to say?

Believe it or not, I actually know the Kin-pin and Main focus of the whole documentary "David".......he was my friend until I saw the show, could only imagine the look on my face as I sat there watching it

Can you expand on this? Did your former friend have anything to say in this defence? Is he still resident here and still at the same craic?

When it was aired the next day he came into class and everybody looked at him with disgust he rarely showed his face again, he actually failed the year and is now repeating, I think the airing of the documentary the other night wouldnt of done him any favours, without going against mod rules or anything like that, his defence was he didnt want to do it, he does still live here and the last time I saw him was Christmas at exam period.

He was actually a good friend of mine and we worked on many assignments and projects together, and I even met his child on a number of occasions, had no idea he was this sort of person. As far as I know there is a legal loophole preventing him from being prosecuted. The authorities in the school I went to where made aware of what he was doing and as there was no level of crime, just moral disgrace, he was allowed to continue to study.

Theres a lot more to the story, as most cases, but I cant go into it on a public forum

But yeah he was utterly outcast when this came to light, and Rightly so.

Any chance of filling me in with an oul pm, feeney? :)

Its mad to think that legislation has yet to be passed to kerb this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I can't watch anything with Paul Connolly in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

How many times does the 'promise of a new job' etc thing work before these women stop believing it....

• Advertisement

How many times does the 'promise of a new job' etc thing work before these women stop believing it....

Life is pretty bleak in parts of these countries. Easy to sell a desperate person a dream, no matter how far fetched it is.

Iirc, Latvian state tv put on a documentary as to warn the women away from getting involved in sham marriages. One girl who did so - told about how she was raped and abused.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/latvian-woman-in-marriage-scam-claims-she-was-raped-26676056.html

Only a matter of time before a Latvian male relative of one of these girls comes over here and goes postal on one of these lads. Maybe then our government will clamp down on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Often the set ups are very slick. I once worked with on behalf of a victim, she was no idiot but the people she ended up working for were very professional, they had a website, she only ever spoke to women so felt it was legit.

There are a lot of genuine companies that recruit women from overseas to work here. I would say a lot of us would struggle to tell the difference.

Sham marraiges do not equate to human trafficking, but sure don't let the facts get in the way of your extremist xenophobic agenda.

Take it up with the gnib and the Latvian authorities. Only using their terminology.

Do you think the state should clamp down on sham marriages or should we keep turning a blind eye to it?

When it was aired the next day he came into class and everybody looked at him with disgust he rarely showed his face again,
    I'm confused here! The next day is today, unless last night's programme was a repeat? It seems there must have been a previous airing or a prior report of this guy before?

I was going to say that this guy looked a lot older than a leaving cert student would look, and he had a child who looked like it was in early primary school. How did this guy from Nigeria become a leaving cert student in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I'm confused here! The next day is today, unless last night's programme was a repeat? It seems there must have been a previous airing or a prior report of this guy before?

I was going to say that this guy looked a lot older than a leaving cert student would look, and he had a child who looked like it was in early primary school. How did this guy from Nigeria become a leaving cert student in Ireland?

Probably claimed asylum and got leave to remain due to having a babog here.

The original programme was aired in 2010 or 2011. Not 100 percent sure as I was out of the country at the time - but it was a definite repeat.

Ah I see, so even then it was a shambolic situation that needed to be fixed post-haste, and yet even on repeat airing a year or two later, nothing has changed.
    Im a college student, im sure if you used your brains you would easily find out where ;)
    Maybe I could, but I'm just going to assume that it's where I went when I was younger. :)

Probably claimed asylum and got leave to remain due to having a babog here.
    Probably a likely scenario. This seems to be de rigeur these days. (...not that there is anything wrong with that!)

I also wondered while watching the programme, what effect would the legalisation of gay marriage (... not that there is anything wrong with that either!) have on the scope of this scam, were the legal loophole to remain in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

It's so sad what these women are subjected to and Ireland couldn't give less of a **** - that goes for our government and society in general.

One of my friends has gone to law school purely to work in the human trafficking area and try to raise awareness and end such horrific abuse of the women here.

However, seeing this thread go up with loads of piss-taking responses and blaming the women for being stupid enough to believe what they're told... well, proves we've a long way to go.

Probably a likely scenario. This seems to be de rigeur these days. (...not that there is anything wrong with that!)

In 2011, Burton claimed that she would pass legislation to kerb sham marriages sometime in 2012. No rush, like. Well here we are in 2013 and she has done f*ck all. What a country.

http://www.thejournal.ie/govt-hopes-to-legislate-against-sham-marriages-288209-Nov2011/

Incidentally, she is my local representive and my aunts friend. Il fire her off an email on this and if she gets back to me, il post it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

ah another sensationalist piece of ****e by TV3

well done keep up the good programming lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

IM0 wrote: »

So its all a lie then ,

IM0 wrote: »

They are writing f*cking books about this phenomenon over in Latvia. Aleksandra Jolkina spent 18 months investigating sham marriages in Ireland and is about to release a book about it.

I suppose the Latvians are just being sensationalist?

They are writing f*cking books about this phenomenon over in Latvia. Aleksandra Jolkina spent 18 months investigating sham marriages in Ireland and is about to release a book about it.

I suppose the Latvians are just being sensationalist
    Yup, glad you got there in the end.

Yup, glad you got there in the end.

If your sister or young female relative was in a similar predicament and get involved with these shady geezers - would you be as dismissive of the issue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement