Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eircom - What happens router and email addresses

• 17-04-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I'm am thinking of cancelling Eircom and moving to a different provider.

2 questions:
    Do I own the router or does it need to be returned?
    Will I stil be able to use my @eircom.net email address?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I left ten years ago, and the emails remain active. Also, I don't believe that the routers are returned, as they are fairly cheap and rubbish anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Traction wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm am thinking of cancelling Eircom and moving to a different provider.

2 questions:
    Do I own the router or does it need to be returned?
    Will I stil be able to use my @eircom.net email address?

Always best to ring the company concerned and ask them! Are you out of contract with them?

You will be able to hang on to your Eircom email but you will need to change the outgoing settings in your email client (smtp) to those of your new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KuriousOranj

Cancelled about 3 years ago for UPC and still have an active Eircom email address and the (shíte!) eircom router is still sitting in the hall gathering dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Still have my Eircom and Vodafone routers, am now on UPC BB a few years.

You don't have to be an Eircom customer to use their e-mail addresses but as stated above, if you're using an e-mail program like Outlook, you'll need to change the SMTP (outgoing e-mail) server to your new ISP settings. If you're accessing your eircom.net e-mail via a browser then you won't need to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Traction

perfect, thanks for all the responses.
    I'm out of contract.

And I do agree, the eircom router is very poor :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

The eircom router is actually better than the vodafone router, so dont knock it till you have tried both! I was having repeated problems with my vodafone router and they all went away when I switched back to my eircom one...

The wifi range is a bit limited though. I recently switched to UPC and everyone was complaining about the wifi range on the cisco 3925, but I have found it much superior to eircom..

i'm looking at Sky.
    Does anybody know what the performance of the Sky Hub is like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You won't lose your email when your move as already mentioned above but I still wouldn't rely on them to keep your email. Even if you're a customer they don't have any legal obligation to keep providing the email service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Traction wrote: »
    i'm looking at Sky.
    Does anybody know what the performance of the Sky Hub is like

Have a look at the threads on this forum, the Sky router is fine, the Sky broadband is horrible.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

wow, there are some very poor reviews of sky broadband.
    I've never actually had a problem with eircom, its just the price difference was huge.
    I might try eircom to see if they can do anything with their price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr. G wrote: »
    You won't lose your email when your move as already mentioned above but I still wouldn't rely on them to keep your email. Even if you're a customer they don't have any legal obligation to keep providing the email service.

But they do.

I still have an active eircom e-mail address and I haven't been a customer of theirs for about 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

homer911 wrote: »
    The eircom router is actually better than the vodafone router, so dont knock it till you have tried both! I was having repeated problems with my vodafone router and they all went away when I switched back to my eircom one...

The wifi range is a bit limited though. I recently switched to UPC and everyone was complaining about the wifi range on the cisco 3925, but I have found it much superior to eircom..

Depends on the router. I use a Netopia and havent had a dropped connection in years. So i'm happy enough with Eircom and my 8mbps. But roll on E-Fibre. I've been using an Eircom e-mail address from over a decade. So would be reluctant to lose it.

Advertisement