Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touristy 'must see' sights/attractions

Options
  • 18-04-2013 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I'll be arriving back to Oz on a 2nd WHV in June and wanted to get some suggestions/tips on what you feel are some 'must see' touristy things, as I will be spending at least the first 4-6 weeks travelling. I will be in the following places:

- Brisbane
    - Melbourne
    - Newcastle
    - Canberra

I haven't been to any of these places before, as I was mainly in Sydney & WA on my first WHV. All suggestions welcome, no matter how obvious they may be...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great Ocean Road, Fraser Island and Gold Coast would be top of my list.

There's nothing much in Newcastle really, though pop down to the Central Coast which is nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scubie steve

zip through Canberra it has the Parliament and nothing else-a yawn of a town.further on from Canberra towards Melbourne is Kelly country where Ned Kelly was having the craic back in the day including Glenrowan where he was captured.
    Great Ocean road is awesome sunset at 12 apostles is a must see.Pebble beach on mornington peninsula I thought was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Brisbane: Mt Coot-tha lookout, museum of modern art, and the art gallery. Take some of the ferries up the river to get a feel for the place. You'll need to get out out of town to find a beach. Stradbroke island isn't too far away and worth a look.

Canberra: Australian war memorial, probably the best museum in the country. National gallery, portrait gallery. Mt Ainslie for the view and have a look at parliament house.

Melbourne: The MCG for a game of AFL footy, NGV, Old Melbourne Gaol, Victoria Market at the weekend, hidden bars off the laneways in the CBD. If you're looking for a decent Irish pub try the Drunken Poet or the Last Jar and they're about 2 blocks from each other close to Vic Market. Cheap vietnamese food on Victoria St, Richmond. Lygon St Carlton for Itailan food. Chinatown on Lt Bourke in CBD for chinese food. St. Kilda for bay beach, some penguins and running into your country cousin at the Village Belle. Fitzroy for cool bars/cafes, Smith St for edgier versions of these and Brunswick has a lot of good bars with very decent brews: Temple, the Alehouse, Brunswick Mess hall and the Woodlands hotel just some.
    You can head out of town to the Yarra valley for wine tasting, Wilsons Prom for the penguin parade, Great Ocean Road for stunning views, Bells beach to see where the pros surf.

Newcastle; I've got nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Why are you going to Newcastle, there's nothing in it! Id go to either Port Stephans or Hunter Valley- they're close to Newcastle and much nicer.

Advertisement