Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wiring Help! (please!)

• 18-04-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not on this forum before but hopefully someone can help. Am about to move into a house shortly and trying to figure out wiring. Have signed up with Eircom for phone/broadband. Eircom line comes into the porch - we were doing works so no socketm just a wire hanging out of wall. From there I also have CAT6 wire to a central hub at back of house. From hub there is various CAT6 cables to other parts of house - I plan on having a switch there or whatever it's called to join the data all together. I'd rather keep as much cable as possible behind the wall in the porch.

Am I right in thinking that the Eircom line has lots of cables within it, 2 of which are for phone and others used for broadband? Do I need this Eircom "splitter" plug (they said they'd supply one) or is this just a(n ugly) way of splitting up the lines? Am I right in saying I could have a phone socket at this entry point in the porch and then wire the broadband via the CAT6 to my central hub? Or does the landline phone have to be wired into Eircom modem (which will be back in the hub)? Hope I've explained this all right!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Well first of all the eircom line usually consists of four wires. Two are used to carry the phone line and the other two are spare and are not used unless you had a second line. In most housing estates it would come in in the front porch where a master socket is fitted.Thats probably the wire thats hanging from the wall. Its up to you to supply your own wiring from there to take it to where you want in the house.
    To get broadband you have to plug in the modem supplied by eircom into the socket and then plug in the cat 6 cable in to the modem to take the signal to the hub. The modem is wifi also so you'll be able to connect any wireless devices you have.
    If you want more phone sockets in other parts of the house they will need to be wired from the master socket using standard four wire telephone cable.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

diagram1.gif

Simplistic and dated but clear.

You want to put your modem/router in the porch, then run CAT6(not that it needs it really) to the switch wherever you have that, and then all further connections into your switch.

Advertisement