Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones: History and Lore

Options
  • 18-04-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Found these fantastic short videos on Youtube that came from the DVD extras of the GoT. They explain and illustrate beautifully major events and family lines of the Game of Thrones world consistant with the series more so than the books so no spoilers for non-readers.

Best of all it is narrated by major cast members and are in character and the characters bias comes to the fore in each video hence there are several different video for the sack of King's Landing!

The Sack of King's Landing from House Barathon

The Sack of King's Landing from House Stark

The Sack of King's Landing from House Targaryen

The Sack of King's Landing from House Lannister

There are about 40 in total and are a great background for those not familiar with what happened before Game of Thrones or just need a refresher. It might also highlight why some people act they way they are.

Rest are here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovO3g62PE0&list=PLFF586E36EFD74763
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Found these fantastic short videos on Youtube that came from the DVD extras of the GoT. They explain and illustrate beautifully major events and family lines of the Game of Thrones world consistant with the series more so than the books so no spoilers for non-readers.

Best of all it is narrated by major cast members and are in character and the characters bias comes to the fore in each video hence there are several different video for the sack of King's Landing!

The Sack of King's Landing from House Barathon

The Sack of King's Landing from House Stark

The Sack of King's Landing from House Targaryen

The Sack of King's Landing from House Lannister

There are about 40 in total and are a great background for those not familiar with what happened before Game of Thrones or just need a refresher. It my also highlight why some people act they way they are.

Rest are here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovO3g62PE0&list=PLFF586E36EFD74763

Fantastic find! Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Great resource, thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Great find. There goes this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Good job Podge

Watched these at home on lunch excellent find. Anyone struggling to understand the history need look no further!

Just reminds us of how big a wanker Tywin is. All because his offer of his daughter was rejected by the Targaryens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Definitely needs a Tower of Joy one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Blay wrote: »

Seperate from this there is a video called "Ned's Dream", it's an illustration with the AudioBook narration of the stand off between Ned and the remaining members of the Mad King's Kingsguard. It's quite good but being book based it hints towards an aspect or theory that only book readers should be aware of.

If anything these stories scream to me is that their is definetly scope for a prequel series should the series catch up with G.R.R Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Blay wrote: »

All of these illustrations are on the season 1 box set, I have a feeling that there is a section dedicated to Ned and co.' battle at the Tower of Joy, I don't think it's a section on it's own, rather a small part of the illustration for Robert's Rebellion as a whole. I could be wrong but I remember seeing something similar related to the Tower of Joy.

Seperate from this there is a video called "Ned's Dream", it's an illustration with the AudioBook narration of the stand off between Ned and the remaining members of the Mad King's Kingsguard. It's quite good but being book based it hints towards an aspect or theory that only book readers should be aware of.

If anything these stories scream to me is that their is definetly scope for a prequel series should the series catch up with G.R.R Martin.

A prequel series would be bloody amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The Dunk and Egg tales seems to be forming a prequel of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

A prequel would be awesome, I still miss Ned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This one of house Clegane is particularly badass:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I have season 1 and 2 of GoT on blu ray and I haven't seen these.

What boxset are they from? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

quad_red wrote: »
    I have season 1 and 2 of GoT on blu ray and I haven't seen these.

What boxset are they from? :confused:

They're on Disc 5 of Season 1, under Interactive History of Westeros

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The Dunk and Egg tales seems to be forming a prequel of sorts.

Well Dunk and Egg are too far back to be a commerically viable prequel. I think Roberts Rebellion would be the prequel that people have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Tenger wrote: »
    Well Dunk and Egg are too far back to be a commerically viable prequel. I think Roberts Rebellion would be the prequel that people have in mind.

They're first and foremost good stories.

They wouldn't have to directly tie in to be marketable.

They'd work better as a series of films though.

There's no dragons or direwolves and the sets are small enough. Could be done on a fairly low budget, I'd say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thinking about it......Dunk and Egg would make a great little 3 part mini series.....

in the same vein as 'Razor' was to Battlestar Galactica. A full prequel would be a riskier deal to pull off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I loved these, and especially the different viewpoints depending on who is telling the story.

Advertisement