Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Waiver - Amount of money required to enter the states?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I'm heading over to the states in September, going to be staying with somebody over there and I won't be staying any longer than three months so the visa waiver is grand for me although I have one question.

Do you need a certain amount of money in a bank account to be allowed into the country? I saw some people say you do and some people say you don't if you're staying with somebody. If you do need a certain amount, anybody know how much is needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No you don't need a specific amount; it's up to the immigration officer at the border.
    Honestly, they rarely ask, especially if you have a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

SwearBySin wrote: »
    So I'm heading over to the states in September, going to be staying with somebody over there and I won't be staying any longer than three months so the visa waiver is grand for me although I have one question.

Do you need a certain amount of money in a bank account to be allowed into the country? I saw some people say you do and some people say you don't if you're staying with somebody. If you do need a certain amount, anybody know how much is needed?

Generally they don't ask, but in the case of someone who is staying for more than 3 or 4 weeks the border official sometimes will......they simply want to know that you have funds to support yourself for the full trip to show that you won't be trying to get some under the table work...

As has been said already, there is no black and white amount set out, it's the discretion of the immigration officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SwearBySin

Thanks to both of you. It's good to have a bit of peace of mind now, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Americans only get an average of 2 weeks holiday time off a year.

SO I think they get curious about the 3 month visits. Understandable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

As InTheTrees says they could well be curious about your stay (they know the dates of you flights) and may ask you to produce evidence funds. Other things they may look at are;

How long your staying, and your previous history immigration history.
    Why you are going and where you are staying
    Do you have a reason to come home (job, mortgage, upcoming college course)

If you've just finished uni, are staying with your aunt and want to see a bit of America for a few months and have enough cash (3 or 4k min) then I'd say you'd be grand.

If you've no substantial ties to Ireland, are going over to stay for three months with someone you've met on the internet and only have a grand in your pocket you'll likely not get much further than the airport.

Personally I had no problem going over when I was younger for 3 months, but I had a long history of visits since I was a kid and they knew I was staying with relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Book your return flight for 3 weeks. Then when you're over there change the date of the flight.

Otherwise you could be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SwearBySin

I'm only heading over to catch a few pearl jam gigs and stay with my brother-in-law's brother but to be on the safe side I'll book a three week return flight and change it when I get over there.

Thank you all for all the help.

Advertisement