Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny lose out on hospice to Waterford

Options
  • 18-04-2013 8:30am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/kilkenny-lose-out-on-hospice-1-5003801

Bads news and particularly bad news for all the people that raised money for Susie Long Hospice Fund as I know of few people on this forum have done so in the past... Captain Havoc comes to mind for example with his cycle to France.

Over 642,000e raised and now it won't be happening :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wagon Watching

Shame Carlow/Kilkenny aren't getting the hospice but it will be good to see a hospice for the South East even in Waterford. Only concern would be the environment. Being part of a general hospital doesn't really match up with the notion of peace and calm, having somewhere on its own, with fewer of the trappings of a hospital would be better, very unusual for hospices to be attached to general hospitals. This is more like a palliative care ward which is great, but not what I would think of as a hospice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's great that there's one going in Waterford as it will serve the people of the South East better. Obviously it would be better if the hospice in Kilkenny was going ahead. I do think Kilkenny would have been a better option as it's more accessible to a larger population. Pallative care is not just about the patient but also their loved ones, sometimes they need a break. I would be back on the bike again for them this year if I had the time to train as it is a great cause.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hospice in Waterford is not much use to anybody in Kilkenny or Carlow living 35/50 miles away from it. The whole point of a hospice is to have care locally with dignity and close to family friends. I hope the local susie long funds are not going to be used instead of locally as was the intention/aim from day one. Carlow had a fundraising drive for one locally too if I recall used see the signs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

road_high wrote: »
    Hospice in Waterford is not much use to anybody in Kilkenny or Carlow living 35/50 miles away from it. The whole point of a hospice is to have care locally with dignity and close to family friends. I hope the local susie long funds are not going to be used instead of locally as was the intention/aim from day one. Carlow had a fundraising drive for one locally too if I recall used see the signs everywhere.

What do people of south kilkenny think about this? Surley these Kilkenny people are closer to this hospice, or are they not Kilkenny enough? Or are people only from Kilkenny city the only ones that matter?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards, I think you're missing the point, the idea behind the fund raising was to create a site in Kilkenny for Carlow and Kilkenny....... Waterford hardly benefits Carlow does it?

The idea should be to make it a less stressful situation for the person in the hospice and the family and friends, again Waterford doesn't fulfill this very will for an awful lot of county kilkenny and again Carlow.

I'd also tend to agree that the site in Waterford hospital isn't a good choice, so not only do people have to deal with heavier traffic but they'll get charged a fair bit for parking. It's hardly a peaceful setting also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote: »
    What do people of south kilkenny think about this? Surley these Kilkenny people are closer to this hospice, or are they not Kilkenny enough? Or are people only from Kilkenny city the only ones that matter?

Exactly they are closer to Waterford...that's why I mentioned the 35 and 50 miles i.e Kilkenny city and Carlow. These are where the majority of people live and are clearly not local to Waterford. A hospice in Waterford is irrelevant to anybody in Kilkenny city or Carlow due to the nature of what a hospice is generally percieved as...somewhere to access care locally and close to family/friends. What would be the use in travelling 35-50 miles to see a dying relative? Might as well keep them at home in that instance.
    It's not like a regional hospital by its' nature. It's something that needs to be local to the people its meant to serve.
    P.s I'm very happy to see Waterford get one and the people of south Kilkenny also. But very little use to us further north I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

They might just say that you now have a Motorway so you can get to either city Carlow/Kilkenny quicker than before. Whats happening with Wexford or do they have they're own hospice???

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Kilkenny People stirring it up again. Who says can there only be one hospice in the south east? Carlow are going ahead with their own plans so there's not much point in involving them here. Why can't Kilkenny just do likewise and have their own hospice without Carlow or Waterford being involved? Small is beautiful.
    http://www.countycarlowhospice.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kilkenny People stirring it up again. Who says can there only be one hospice in the south east? Carlow are going ahead with their own plans so there's not much point in involving them here. Why can't Kilkenny just do likewise and have their own hospice without Carlow or Waterford being involved? Small is beautiful.
    http://www.countycarlowhospice.com/

Costs. You can save up and build it, but then to fund it long term. Cost of staff a year would mean some fairly hefty, and constant fund raising. As well as maintenance costs and ?medication costs. Not sure a county as small as Carlow or Kilkenny could sustain their own individual hospices long term. You also have to get Palliative care Medical staff to agree to visit. Maybe its feasible but have my doubts personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Costs. You can save up and build it, but then to fund it long term. Cost of staff a year would mean some fairly hefty, and constant fund raising. As well as maintenance costs and ?medication costs. Not sure a county as small as Carlow or Kilkenny could sustain their own individual hospices long term. You also have to get Palliative care Medical staff to agree to visit. Maybe its feasible but have my doubts personally.

You may be right but I think the way many Carlow people see it is being born in Kilkenny is one thing but do they have to die in Kilkenny as well? Most people would like to end their days close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The more people we can support to die in their own homes the better, the home care team are excellent, no end of fundraising gets done for them, and with more funding they could be even better.

Advertisement