Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Game 7 tonight. I'd say the Barclays center will have a great atmosphere, the blackout could be pretty cool! Have a feeling Hinrich being in or out could be key to this, he's well able to defend Deron Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

recyclebin wrote: »
    The Pacers versus the Knicks should be interesting. This is the first time they meet in the playoffs since 2000. There used to be huge rivalry between the teams when Miller played.

If they can reignite the rivalry this could turn out to be a classic matchup.

Go Pacers!

Great watch:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I just hope tnt don't have reggie doing the game, he is ard enough to take as is

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jaysus a Bulls supporter and friend of mine just told me that the Bulls record on the road in a Game 7 is 0-6 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Could we not just shorten the whole process and call whoever wins the respective series' between Knicks/Pacers and Grizzlies/OKC official 'Conference Runners-Up'?

Spade-a-spade, the Miami/Chicago/Brooklyn and Spurs/Warriors series' will probably be done by tomorrow week, so we can save people a few weeks to get their summer started early by just fast forwarding Miami and San Antonio to the Finals a round early. Kinda like when someone gets bumped up a year in school: sure it's not fair to say they're 'better' than the other kids, but we all know it's true anyway so just do it nice and discreetly, while still praising the rest of the kids for trying (this idea is pretty much the only way that Knicks/Pacers/Grizzles/OKC are ending their season on a winning note) and everyone's happier in the long run.

As it stands, the only competitive interest left in the Conference Finals is in whether or not LeBron or Tim Duncan go down injured...and that seems a bit inhumane to be honest.

• Advertisement

Just finished the Clippers game.

I stuck to that series and the Knicks/Celtics for the first round.

Started well but once the series went to Memphis they were rode in the paint by Gasol/Randolph. Also gave far too many second chance points to compound the issue.

As great as he may be during the regular season for alley ops, Jordan just doesn't have what it takes offensively to make it post season.
    I reckon I'd shoot a better percentage from the line and I'm playing the game five months, he really is dire from FT's.
    You have to use him for pick and rolls meaning you lose your biggest rebounding option on the offensive boards.

The Clippers with a a better offensive center plus Paul/Griffin could do a lot of damage, hopefully they use some of the bench and Jordan to make that addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

leggo wrote: »
    Could we not just shorten the whole process and call whoever wins the respective series' between Knicks/Pacers and Grizzlies/OKC official 'Conference Runners-Up'?

Spade-a-spade, the Miami/Chicago/Brooklyn and Spurs/Warriors series' will probably be done by tomorrow week, so we can save people a few weeks to get their summer started early by just fast forwarding Miami and San Antonio to the Finals a round early. Kinda like when someone gets bumped up a year in school: sure it's not fair to say they're 'better' than the other kids, but we all know it's true anyway so just do it nice and discreetly, while still praising the rest of the kids for trying (this idea is pretty much the only way that Knicks/Pacers/Grizzles/OKC are ending their season on a winning note) and everyone's happier in the long run.

As it stands, the only competitive interest left in the Conference Finals is in whether or not LeBron or Tim Duncan go down injured...and that seems a bit inhumane to be honest.

Whatever about the East, the West is not as open and shut as you say. The Grizlies match up really well with the Spurs, plus the Spurs just haven't been able to stay healthy all year. Its possible that could Ginobli will get aggravate his injury with his playing time being increased against Memphis. Even with Manu healthy, I think that would be a super competitive series.

In more current news, Hinrich has been ruled out for tonight, Thibs has confirmed.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Jaysus a Bulls supporter and friend of mine just told me that the Bulls record on the road in a Game 7 is 0-6 :eek:

Hinrich officially out now too. :(

buyer95 wrote: »
    Whatever about the East, the West is not as open and shut as you say. The Grizlies match up really well with the Spurs, plus the Spurs just haven't been able to stay healthy all year. Its possible that could Ginobli will get aggravate his injury with his playing time being increased against Memphis. Even with Manu healthy, I think that would be a super competitive series.

Ah look, I know Memphis took care of them in 2011 and they're 2-2 this season (interestingly with all games going to the home team...yes I've looked into this since making that post).

But in the grand scheme of things, I think SA should beat GSW in 4 or 5 (Though I'd love to be wrong. But I'm only giving the Warriors one for the home game where David Lee gets some decent minutes and Curry/Bogut put in another inspired performance).

Meanwhile, I think while Memphis have to be considered favourites, we can't completely write off OKC putting up a fight due to:

a) The unbelievable home support in Oklahoma (where the series will open, remember) and,
    b) We still haven't seen a complete eff-you game from Durant since Westbrook went down. He's too good of a player to go out on a whimper.

That series with the Clippers will have knocked some sharpness off Memphis as they'll only have had a two-day rest before the 2nd round (as have OKC, to be fair). So don't be surprised to see this go the same way as the Clippers series, with OKC maybe going 2-0 up before being pegged back as their limitations become stretched back in Memphis. Remember, Memphis are a defence-first team so aren't necessarily primed to take advantage of OKC's defensive weaknesses the same way an exciting offensive side like Houston can (with a killer fastbreak, Chandler Parson's devastating 3's and the small matter of James Harden). There's a lot of ball still to be played there though.

They'll then likely face a rested and hungry San Antonio. Remember that in 2011 they won in the 1st round, when you've got a month or so of regular season to prepare mentally and rest players. While, as I said earlier, I can see it being a great, competitive series, I can't see any outcome beyond a Spurs win ultimately. It could go 7, but the Spurs will advance*.

*Well, they would've had I not just jinxed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

With it being a game 7, I'd like to be more bullish about tonight's game, but with Deng out and Hinrich ruled out now, I have very little hope of winning. But as they have all season, I'm sure the players will give it their all, so I'll look forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lovely stuff from Deron so far.

"Here's some news on Kirk Hirnich" ... shows Rose moving briskly in a suit :P

Nets playing like headless chickens here and seemingly think it's a early regular season game, but credit to the Bulls for that first half. Hopefully they'll continue with this for the second half. Nets deserve NOTHING!

7 point game. Noahs fake handoff and slam off the dribble was unreal there. Its not over though, Johnson is due a good quarter after going 2-9 to this point. Wallace's 3s keeping the Nets in touch, which itself is an anomaly, but the nets wull take it! Its not over yet, glad I stayed up, I have the bulls at plus 5. Lets go Bulls!

Noah beastin' n feastin' tonight, what a performance.

What a damn impressive win for the Bulls to win out the series. Kudos to the players out there and Thibs.

Noah is going to cause havoc against the Heat now he is getting healthy again. 6 blocks and 22 points. Bulls are going to make it so tough for Miami!

Fair play to the Bulls and Thibs, they just don't know when there beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Wow! Unbelievable win! About the gutsiest I've ever seen as a Bulls fan.

Huge team effort (the rookie Marquis Teague played about 6 minutes of the 4th quarter), but monster game from Noah. That's what great players do, put the team on their back when they're most needed. Noah always gets up for big games, but that must be his best ever, to do it in the playoffs, without Rose there, no Deng either.

Can't believe we're playing Miami, I thought the season was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Incredible win for the Bulls built on heart and mental toughness, but also thanks to a number of Big Time Charlie performances in this series from the majority of the Nets players (Deron Williams in particular, despite his stats).

To think of the money he's making relative to output......and that's before you take into account getting 2 (and likely 3 now) coaches sacked.

Major props to Thibs too, the man is sooo determined and a tactical genius. Would love to get to see some behind closed door sessions with him prepping his team.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Wow! Unbelievable win! About the gutsiest I've ever seen as a Bulls fan.

Huge team effort (the rookie Marquis Teague played about 6 minutes of the 4th quarter), but monster game from Noah. That's what great players do, put the team on their back when they're most needed. Noah always gets up for big games, but that must be his best ever, to do it in the playoffs, without Rose there, no Deng either.

Can't believe we're playing Miami, I thought the season was over.

Unbelievable performance mate. This team will make sure Miami come out of a series battered and bruised, they will hate playing us. I can't wait :)

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Unbelievable performance mate. This team will make sure Miami come out of a series battered and bruised, they will hate playing us. I can't wait :)

My mate (the guy who wrote the article I posted a few pages back) is a Miami fan. Typical fan of a big team: being magnanimous, if slightly condescending, when they play other teams saying that they "have a chance" etc. But the ONE team he'll get super-defensive about Miami beating is the Bulls. Has done ever since they met in the first play-offs after LeBron signed.

Chicago are the only team he's legitimately worried about Miami playing. And I don't think he's the only Miami fan who feels the same by any means.

I don't think you guys will win, but yeah, I hope you rough 'em up good. Here's hoping Rose has a dramatic change of heart too. :cool:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    East

1) Heat vs 8) Bucks , Heat in 4
    2) Knicks vs 7) Celtics , Knicks in 6
    3) Pacers vs 6) Hawks , Pacers in 6
    4) Nets vs. 5) Bulls , Bulls in 7

West

1) Thunder vs 8) Rockets , Thunder in 5
    2) Spurs vs 7) Lakers , Spurs in 5
    3) Nuggets vs 6) Warriors , Denver in 6
    4) Clippers vs 5) Grizzlies , Clippers in 7

I've changed my mind on the Clippers - Grizziles series far too much :p

All the East coast games spot on. Errr, not so much the West games. Miffed I changed to Clippers as the last second as I said previously. Can't believe I thought the Lakers would win a game too :o

90 points after Round 1 for moi.

Round 2

East

1) Heat vs 5) Bulls , Heat in 5
    2) Knicks vs 3) Pacers , Knicks in 6 ... coin toss.

West

1) Thunder vs 5) Grizzlies , Grizzlies in 5
    2) Spurs vs 6) Warriors, Spurs in 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Spurs in 5
    Memphis in 6

Heat in 5
    Pacers in 6

12 FG's in total combined made in that first quarter.

Memphis 16-14 OKC

Painful viewing so far.

Spurs in 5
    OKC in 6
    Miami in 5
    Knicks in 7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm watching the Thunder game. It might be the first game of basketball I have watched.

I look like this watching.
    tumblr_m3a33ltq5k1qe4yei.gif

Ibaka has had a stinker offensively but my god has he been really good defensively against Z-Bo.

• Advertisement

Perkins... :pac:

Advertisement