Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2012/13

Comments

Fun game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

What a finish to the 3rd

Yeah great sequence with George and Lebron. Interesting to see who comes out on top in the 4th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Come on Big Roy.

God Damn You Lebron James

Could be heading for another big crunch-time possession.

• Advertisement

Hibbert is probably the Pacers best offensive option right now, none of the perimeter stuff is working.

Some real ugly Pacers' offensive possessions, but they're up 2. Now, do they leave Hibbert in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

James bottling it :D 1-1 in the series now! :)

Hibbert in. Lebron drives but doesn't attempt a shot at the rim with Hibbert standing there. Heat turnover. QED :)

Yes! Game Indiana. 1 -1

• Advertisement

Boom. Congrats Pacers, we have a series!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

padraig_f wrote: »
    Hibbert in. Lebron drives but doesn't attempt a shot at the rim with Hibbert standing there. Heat turnover. QED :)

Bangs head against wall repeatedly..... like listening to Fox news.

Great TEAM effort by Pacers, they are a really good team to be fair. Fortunately there are no debatable coaching decisions to highlight, if only basketball was as simple as some people make it out to be.

Hilbert is a great presence inside and I think his teammates feed off him, some great minutes of hill and west too,and I am becoming a big fan of George.

I wonder Will LeBron get the blame because of his turnovers even if he was their best player, got to love the media...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Scumbag play by David West elbowing Mario chalmers injured shoulder.
    (3:30 in on the NBA.com highlights)

He's a good player. Don't know why he feels the need to stoop to that sh1t.

Add in techs for young and hansbrough and it depressingly reinforces the myth that playing dirty is the way to beat the heat.

Bangs head against wall repeatedly..... like listening to Fox news.

Great TEAM effort by Pacers, they are a really good team to be fair. Fortunately there are no debatable coaching decisions to highlight, if only basketball was as simple as some people make it out to be.

Hilbert is a great presence inside and I think his teammates feed off him, some great minutes of hill and west too,and I am becoming a big fan of George.

I wonder Will LeBron get the blame because of his turnovers even if he was their best player, got to love the media...

Ok, I was being a bit glib with the QED comment in terms of a single possession proving the argument, but to me the difference is stark when Hibbert is in the game, if you watch the way it affects Lebron and Wade's decisions to drive when he's there. Wade is more likely to alter his shot if he goes to the rim, Lebron often just declines to attack the rim at all, and passes, as happened for the last big possession last night.

Stats back it up, from last night's game:
    "LeBron James: 1-for-2 with 4 turnovers on drives to basket with Roy Hibbert on court, 4-for-5, no turnovers with Hibbert off court"
    @ESPNStatsInfo

You want to look at bigger sample sizes, couple of good articles here:
    CourtVision: Roy Hibbert, the Protector - Kirk Goldsberry
    Roy Hibbert is in LeBron James' head - Henry Abbott

Team-defense sure, but when Lebron attacks George, it's Hibbert who's the main help defender, not Hill, West or Stephenson (and we may find out how well the team-defense is working if Hibbert ever gets into foul trouble. I hope it doesn't happen, and he's done a good job so far of staying out of it.)

The Pacers' success in this series is mainly based on defense. And as well as George is playing, to me it's Hibbert, not George, who's the biggest defensive influence. It's worth recognising that, if someone was scoring 40 points on the other end, everyone would be lauding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Lads, for an unstoppable 'Dream Team'...Miami are quite beatable. I think their overall athleticism and depth in their line-up makes them nigh-on impossible to beat in a 7-game series right now, but they aren't the unstoppable force they're sometimes made out to be. There's quite an obvious blueprint for beating them, which both Chicago and the Pacers have used to perfection already. It's just doing that when they can switch up the rotation so much to answer almost any problem that comes their way in a series.. I don't think the Pacers or Spurs have what it takes to outdo that though. The Grizzlies are a decent match-up, but I don't see them winning 4-in-5 against SA now.

Next year, with Rose and Westbrook back though, that's when it'll get interesting. Wade will continue to deteriorate and all eyes will be on LeBron as he prepares to hit free agency (see also: Bosh).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Dirty play by wade aswell elbowing stevenson into the head at halfcourt, Lucky not to get a 1 game ban in my opinion. Pacers got some harsh calls by the ref last night though

padraig_f wrote: »
    Ok, I was being a bit glib with the QED comment in terms of a single possession proving the argument, but to me the difference is stark when Hibbert is in the game, if you watch the way it affects Lebron and Wade's decisions to drive when he's there. Wade is more likely to alter his shot if he goes to the rim, Lebron often just declines to attack the rim at all, and passes, as happened for the last big possession last night.

Stats back it up, from last night's game:
    "LeBron James: 1-for-2 with 4 turnovers on drives to basket with Roy Hibbert on court, 4-for-5, no turnovers with Hibbert off court"
    @ESPNStatsInfo

You want to look at bigger sample sizes, couple of good articles here:
    CourtVision: Roy Hibbert, the Protector - Kirk Goldsberry
    Roy Hibbert is in LeBron James' head - Henry Abbott

Team-defense sure, but when Lebron attacks George, it's Hibbert who's the main help defender, not Hill, West or Stephenson (and we may find out how well the team-defense is working if Hibbert ever gets into foul trouble. I hope it doesn't happen, and he's done a good job so far of staying out of it.)

The Pacers' success in this series is mainly based on defense. And as well as George is playing, to me it's Hibbert, not George, who's the biggest defensive influence. It's worth recognising that, if someone was scoring 40 points on the other end, everyone would be lauding them.

Yea, I know. To be honest I was a bit drunk last night writing that reply after I went to the bar to watch the game, just tired of the discussion on leaving Hibbert out. Delighted the Pacers won, could be a classic series. It's going to be tough to beat Miami, they have won something like 43 out of the last 49 games or something crazy like that, Pacers have the belief now though.

Yea, I know. To be honest I was a bit drunk last night writing that reply after I went to the bar to watch the game, just tired of the discussion on leaving Hibbert out. Delighted the Pacers won, could be a classic series. It's going to be tough to beat Miami, they have won something like 43 out of the last 49 games or something crazy like that, Pacers have the belief now though.

Yeah it was maybe overanalyzed, there's a lot of other interesting stuff going on. I think the Heat's biggest problem now is their 3-point shooting. They competed well on the boards and second-chance points in game 1, but the 3-point shooting was down. Paully said the bookies' line moved in favour of the Heat for game 2, and I think the expectation was their 3-point shooting would regress back up.

But it didn't, Ray Allen and Battier both failed to make a 3 in game 2. Apart from the lack of points, it also means they're attempting less (both just 0-2), and it's putting more on the shoulders of Lebron. Lebron played great for 3 and a half quarters last night, and I think he just ran out of steam at the end.

The question for the series is, is the 3-point shooting slump a random fluctuation or a real form problem? While Ray Allen also looked a bit shaky taking free-throws, I think it's more a random random fluctuation, and I'd expect it to improve as the series goes on.

The Lebron-George is a great matchup to watch as well, I'm enjoying it more than either Lebron vs. Carmelo or Lebron vs. Durant. While George isn't as polished offensively as Melo or Durant, he attacks the rim more, and is a better defender. So stylistically, it's a closer matchup. George doesn't need to match him, but be somewhere close.

They had a great sequence at the end of 3, and the hand-tap between them after it was pretty interesting psychologically. I'm not sure, was Lebron trying to psyche him out, or forgetting the team-rivalries for a second and acknowledging a fellow competitor. Maybe it doesn't make much of a difference, but I couldn't imagine a Jordan or a Kobe doing it, and George seemed to be pumped up about it.
    James chased down George, reached out his hand and pressed palm on palm.

"I got you back, young fella," James told him.

For a moment, George had to gather himself. Here unfolded a most surreal scene in a surreal rise out of mid-major college basketball, the evolution of James' dutiful understudy into James' problem.

"That was a moment for me," George said, "that I'll always remember."
    - Paul George earns LeBron James' respect as Pacers show they're a worthy challenger to Heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

BQQ wrote: »
    Scumbag play by David West elbowing Mario chalmers injured shoulder.
    (3:30 in on the NBA.com highlights)

He's a good player. Don't know why he feels the need to stoop to that sh1t.

Add in techs for young and hansbrough and it depressingly reinforces the myth that playing dirty is the way to beat the heat.
    What?!? Pacers didn't play dirty basketball. Both of the Ts were BS calls and if you had watched the game you would know that.

Young took a swipe at the ball after the whistle and Queen James took offense. Technical on Young.

Hansbrough fell for a pump fake on Wade, fouled, Wade went to the floor and scowled. Techical on Hansbrough.

Pacers won last night despite some awful officiating akin to game 2 of Heat V Bulls.

You're doing the Pacers a great disservice by assuming that they played dirty to win. Pacers have been the better team over the first two games, no doubt about it.

Memphis picking up where they left off in the 2nd half of Game 2.

The only reason I don't see them coming back altogether in the series is because it seems like a gambler's fallacy to back them because they've swept competition after initial setbacks in the past two series. It's more a freak statistic than a telling one. Taking into account the jump in quality of opposition and it just seems like too much to expect from them.

That said, I think they could go close and push it to a Game 6, giving SA a heart attack or two along the way.

• Advertisement

And that's that, Memphis can't really have any complaints. Duncan was unreal tonight, what a player.

Series over. Miami/SA in the Finals starting Thursday week it is, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

leggo wrote: »
    Series over. Miami/SA in the Finals starting Thursday week it is, so.

Not sure it'll be Miami dude!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Western conference finals are on far too late for me to stay up to be honest. Barely managing the east half an hour earlier.

Caught the highlights of last nights game this morning though. It really comes across how deep San Antonios depth it. Also its amazing how Duncan can still be so dominant, especially considering how much praise Gasol and Randolph can get as some sort of two headed monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bookies are down to Heat -1 or Heat -1.5 for tonight. Huge difference from the -9.5 and -8.5 they were offering in the home games.

How do you see tonights game going lads?

Western conference finals are on far too late for me to stay up to be honest. Barely managing the east half an hour earlier.

Caught the highlights of last nights game this morning though. It really comes across how deep San Antonios depth it. Also its amazing how Duncan can still be so dominant, especially considering how much praise Gasol and Randolph can get as some sort of two headed monster.

Spot on, Duncan is just a class above the rest,, to be still doing it at this stage in his career is pretty impressive. Spurs have really been able to shut Randolph down, he gets double teamed so quick and Mephis can't seem to find an answer for it.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bookies are down to Heat -1 or Heat -1.5 for tonight. Huge difference from the -9.5 and -8.5 they were offering in the home games.

It is so hard to call, on one hand you have the Pacers that are playing better and their defense has been incredibly good but then you have a Miami team that are not playing to the best of their ability and could kick into another gear at some stage.
    I like to believe that it is the Pacers defense that is causing Miami to struggle and would think that they can squeeze another one out at home.

Watched the Spurs-Grizzlies game this morning, masterclass from Popovich, he is really out-coaching Hollins in the series. Taking advantage of the lack of shooting from Prince/Allen, to sag off and deny the entry passes to Randolph & Gasol. Hollins just seems to have no answer for it.

On the other side, everything is initiated by Parker and I think the Grizzlies could do a lot better if the put Tony Allen on him more. He was on him for a few possessions, and caused him problems, forcing turnovers and turning him into more of an off-the-ball player. But he should be guarding him more imo.

It shows up in the smaller things as well, what I get a real kick out of watching the Spurs is the contributions from the role players, very useful minutes from Diaw and Bonner off the bench. On the flip-side I think Jerryd Bayless takes a lot of bad shots.

He even finds time for some comic trolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Paully D wrote: »

Indiana for a number of reasons, not sure the margin but less than 10 anyway.

It's much harder to find an offensive groove than a defensive one. Miami are relying too heavily on LeBron to pick it up on offence....too many players not playing well, which is weird in itself. I'm wondering if they were just too cocky and now that they're in a hole they're finding it really hard to dig their way out of it.

The boards and points in the paint - Indiana have a bigger and a more aggressive front line and they're making it count. Hibbert has really stepped up offensively in this series as they're clearly channeling the ball to him and he's delivering.

Wade is clearly not the player he used to be, be that from injury or Father Time catching up on him.

Indiana could well be 2-0 up in this series already. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 3-1 up going back to Miami or equally if it's tied at 2-2. They had Miami on the ropes last year but didn't have the killer instinct to finish them off. It will be interesting to see how far they've come since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Indiana for a number of reasons, not sure the margin but less than 10 anyway.

It's much harder to find an offensive groove than a defensive one. Miami are relying too heavily on LeBron to pick it up on offence....too many players not playing well, which is weird in itself. I'm wondering if they were just too cocky and now that they're in a hole they're finding it really hard to dig their way out of it.

The boards and points in the paint - Indiana have a bigger and a more aggressive front line and they're making it count. Hibbert has really stepped up offensively in this series as they're clearly channeling the ball to him and he's delivering.

Wade is clearly not the player he used to be, be that from injury or Father Time catching up on him.

Indiana could well be 2-0 up in this series already. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 3-1 up going back to Miami or equally if it's tied at 2-2. They had Miami on the ropes last year but didn't have the killer instinct to finish them off. It will be interesting to see how far they've come since then.

Big game for Wade tonight IMO. Like you said, he's clearly not the player he used to be, but many wrote him off last year, and then he came out and scored 41 points in the next game to turn the series. LeBron scored 36 the other night and the Heat still lost so they are going to need contributions from Wade or Bosh tonight.

Advertisement