Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'll go Spurs in 6. I see more parallels to the Mavs-Heat finals 2 years ago than last year's finals. The Heat are a better team than they were 2 years ago, but I think the Spurs are better than that Mavs team too.

I think the time off helps the Spurs, they have the better coach, I thought they performed more consistently in the playoffs than the Heat have. For the Heat, they have the best player, and probably at their best, they've performed better than anyone in these playoffs, but that's only been in brief spots.

I really liked how consistently the Spurs performed in the WCF, from the start of game 1 to the end of game 4, the strategy and intensity were great. I think this might be what wins it for them, consistently high performance over hitting the heights erratically, like the Heat have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'll go Spurs in 6. I see more parallels to the Mavs-Heat finals 2 years ago than last year's finals. The Heat are a better team than they were 2 years ago, but I think the Spurs are better than that Mavs team too.

I think the time off helps the Spurs, they have the better coach, I thought they performed more consistently in the playoffs than the Heat have. For the Heat, they have the best player, and probably at their best, they've performed better than anyone in these playoffs, but that's only been in brief spots.

I really liked how consistently the Spurs performed in the WCF, from the start of game 1 to the end of game 4, the strategy and intensity were great. I think this might be what wins it for them, consistently high performance over hitting the heights erratically, like the Heat have.

I think they might have had a little bit too long off. Sure, having a coach like Popovich and so much time off is invaluable for game planning, but it will take them a game to blow the rust off IMO and I can see the Heat winning tonight. That would mean the Spurs would need to win 4 of the next 6 games, which I think would be extremely difficult. Since 1970, the team that has won game 1 of the finals has won the series 73% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Right boys and girls (actually, are there any ladies on here?),

I'm going for Spurs in 6 and here's my reasons:

1. I don't think the Heat can stop Parker - be that if he decides to go for 30+ or go for 12+ assists
    2. Yes, LBJ is the best player on the planet, but the Spurs to me are much deeper and have seen the blueprint laid down by Chicago and Indiana as to how
    3. Duncan (incredibly given his age and the mileage on the clock) is better than any of the Indiana or Chicago front line, and will do damage against Miami. He may not put up huge numbers but that's not necessarily what he has to do, simply being a distraction to create space for the rest of the team (specifically Parker) will cause Miami all sorts of problems
    4. Mia i play better when they play team ball. As spectacular as LBJ has been in the playoffs, he will not be able to beat San An on his own. Too often in the playoffs he has taken over the game out of what I assume is frustration at his team's inability to perform. That was fine against a hurt Chicago and a naive (to a point) Indiana, but the Spurs are probably the smartest team in the league and will be wise to this
    5. Pop v Spo - do I even need to elaborate on this? Spo is no mug, but he's no Pop either and will be significantly and crucially out-coached in this series if there are tight games
    6. I think the Spurs will win one of the 1st 2 games in Miami
    7. The Spurs team ethic and ego-less play
    8. The Spurs ability to shoot the 3 over that of the Heat
    9. Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade's diminished play - I think Bosh will continue to struggle (last year I called him the 1/2 in the Miami Big 2 and a half), but I think Wade's Game 7 v Indy was a blip and not a return to form

This is my opinion based on what I see before me as of today. 1 injury either way changes all of the above.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    And in other news, George Karl and the Nuggets have parted ways! Playoff record is shocking and that was the tipping point I imagine. Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year out the door now in Denver.

Strange, strange, strange.........

Denver likely over-achieved in the regular season but this is a crazy decision. si.com says he was fired, which makes it even more bizarre.

Strange, strange, strange.........

Denver likely over-achieved in the regular season but this is a crazy decision. si.com says he was fired, which makes it even more bizarre.

Final year of his contract and Denver don't want to deal with an unhappy Karl in his final year, along with feeling they can attract an elite coach with their roster, according to Woj.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Final year of his contract and Denver don't want to deal with an unhappy Karl in his final year, along with feeling they can attract an elite coach with their roster, according to Woj.

Yeah....but what makes you think he'd be unhappy?

Who'd you replace him with that's a better coach right now? Shaw is unproven at this level and Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan won't be going to Denver.

Plus they're a relatively young team so keeping the coach would bring some continuity. A new coach and you start afresh....new system, new offence, new defense, bedding in period etc.

They'll be lining up for Karl if he wants to work. Could be good move for the Clippers if he went there, or the Nets, but both of them seem to have their eyes firmly on Shaw.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Talk of Hollins going to Denver and Karl to Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Can't see Karl to Memphis.

Clippers would suit his style much more IMO

Paully D wrote: »
    I think they might have had a little bit too long off. Sure, having a coach like Popovich and so much time off is invaluable for game planning, but it will take them a game to blow the rust off IMO and I can see the Heat winning tonight.

Yeah there is something to that, the effect of the time off on sharpness and 5 players being in sync. My take on this is the Spurs will be aware of this, and can design practice sessions to minimise it. And that the benefits of the extra time off outweigh the drawbacks.....clearing up any niggling injuries, getting players back fresh (probably the two main ones), watching tape on your opponent, and having a chance to practice the opponent-specific adjustments.

Not that I think the time off is going to be the main deciding factor in the series, but I think it's a bit of an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Spurs not looking rusty at all. 9-2 up already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Miami could blow them away but I doubt it, I think the Spurs will be quietly confident and I would expect the Spurs to silence nhe crowd early. I think Spliiter could have a bigger impact than people would expect.

Duncan needs to get going. 0-5 at the minute and he has two fouls (although both were never fouls, we all know how the officiating is going to go in this series).

Miami 3 pointers killing the Spurs so far.

Early impressions...looking like a great finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we saw several blowouts during the course of it (even if it only goes 5 as I'm predicting). Neither team seems to be able to hang onto a substantial lead even as early as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

What a play by Cole!

Bosh with 3 fouls, Spurs seem to like the Duncan vs. Bosh/Birdman low-post matchup.

Fun game so far!

That was one hell of a half of basketball.

You kind of get used to it when it's going on, but watching this, holy hell was Pacers-Heat an ugly series. This is beautiful stuff by comparison.

• Advertisement

I make that 5 missed three pointers in a row for the Spurs now. All at times when the could have either gone level or up by one. Costly.

EDIT - 6 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spurs were always gonna come out with a bit of toughness, silly errors from the Heat are keeping them in it. If they cut them out they should be able to pull through here.

What a move by Tony Parker.

Now is the time for LeBron to take over I'd imagine.

Tony Parker has been killing it all playoffs.

Let Bosh shoot that three all day long.

Big, big call coming up..

TONY ****ING PARKER!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well, that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement