Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creche near home or work?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if people put their kids in creches close to their home or work?
    I maybe starting new job on opposite side of city to where I live and was interested in what others do. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely home imho.
    If you have a day off and need to do something you can drop your child off.
    If you're sick, much handier to drop the child off.
    No child getting bored or grumpy with a car journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely near home. I'm on maternity leave now awaiting the arrival of no.2. We've decided to keep our toddler in crèche for the continuity of routine for him as I'll be going back to work in a few months. That wouldn't be possible/would be extremely difficult if our crèche was beside my workplace rather than around the corner from where I live.

The same applies for when I'm sick or on a day off to do something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Definately near work.
    Then if there is anything wrong with them you can be there in minutes but if the child is of school going age I would suggest near home.
    We commuted together and got time on the train in the morning together and coming home again I would have found it harder leaving her at 7:30 and not seeing her again until 6 or 7 in the evening.

Definitely near home. I'm on maternity leave now awaiting the arrival of no.2. We've decided to keep our toddler in crèche for the continuity of routine for him as I'll be going back to work in a few months. That wouldn't be possible/would be extremely difficult if our crèche was beside my workplace rather than around the corner from where I live.

The same applies for when I'm sick or on a day off to do something.

I'm in the exact same situation. No. 2 was just born, first will still be going to creche. Very easy to drop them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation. No. 2 was just born, first will still be going to creche. Very easy to drop them over.

Congrats!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Near home, my work is one end of the M50 and my house is the other. If I'm ever sick I'd have to get up and over there to drop them off, having them closer to home is more convenient. We've also picked a crèche that does after school for the schools he might be attending. If he's ill during the day myself or my husband could be home within 30 mins dependant on traffic, plus the crèche is close to my parents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

i think having a creche by the home is way better.
    - if you have a day off / working from home it is much handier to drop your LO to the creche
    - you can share dropoffs and pickups with your partner. otherwise if the creche is by one parents work, they have the burden / joy of always having to collect and drop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Home. Our babs was in creche near my work (where we intended to move to, and now do live near) but holy moly that period before we moved of 45 minute commutes after work with her in the back was bad. She hated it, and came to hate the carseat too because of it. We moved a few months ago, home is now walking distance to creche, it's about a million times better.

It really depends on your commute, but a child strapped in a car for hours every day is no good for you or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I find myself in this dilemma now, my boy is currently in creche close to work, we live about 12 miles from work but there is a creche 2 mins up road from our house (we have recently moved), I was thinking I might move him to the creche close to home because thinking long term he will attend the national school there (beside the creche) and make use of after school facilities etc and make friends with the local kiddies that he will probably be in school with aswell, then i was thinking if he was ever sick though i could get to him quicker if he was closer to work, I will probably not move him until he is one yr old anyway but it is something to consider surely.

Congrats!!

Cheers. Its working out really well. Boy is a year and a half, and his routine hasn't changed much, so he's happy. Also, makes looking after the new baby that bit less stressful. Good luck with yours!

• Advertisement
Advertisement