Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P.D.

• 18-04-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

R.I.P.D. is the new action-comedy from RED director Robert Schwentke and is an adaptation of the Dark Horse comic of the same name.

The film centres on dead cops who work for the "Rest in Peace Department".

Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges take the leads with a support cast that includes Mary Louise-Parker, Kevin Bacon, Stephanie Szostak, Marissa Miller, and James Hong.

R.I.P.D. opens in Ireland on July 19th.
    Welcome to the Rest In Peace Department — the devoted, yet dead, officers of divine law enforcement “patrolling the deadbeat…reporting to one boss.” Yep — THAT boss. Nick Cruz was murdered by an unknown assailant, at the height of his personal and professional life. Now he’s traded a hundred years of service to the R.I.P.D. in exchange for a shot at finding who killed him. Unfortunately his search will take him to Hell and back — literally!

Here is the first poster and trailer for the film, both of which have a fun M.I.B. vibe going with them.

ripd-poster1-300x443.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Don't tense up! Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Another comic book character for Reynolds to add to his list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Thwip! wrote: »
    Another comic book character for Reynolds to add to his list :) butcher.

FYP. Green Lantern was terrible and Deadpool in X-Men Origins was bad to the point of frustrating.

OK, that's unfair because they're bad films anyway.

Not really looking forward to this. Movies of Dark Horse comics never capture how bizarre or terrifying the books are, with the exception of Hellboy. Only publisher worse than that is Top Cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Like the OP said, very MIB but not necessarily a bad thing either. Looks like fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Jeff Bridges basically carries over from True Grit into an MIB style movie.

meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dermighty wrote: »
    Jeff Bridges basically carries over from True Grit into an MIB style movie.

meh!

Yep could be a fun watch :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

God I don't know. That looked TERRIBLE. As many have said, it just looks like Men in Black. The styling, the pairing of the partners (although, to be fair, grouchy-old-cop-meets-brash-hotshot-partner is as old as the hills), even the look of the offices and creatures look and move just like the ones in Men in Black. And that was a looooong time ago by movie standards. They even explode in the same gloopy fashion.

I like Ryan Reynolds, he's got great comic timing and would pull off a summer blockbuster if given the right script/director. Just point him in the direction of Joss Whedon. And Jeff Bridges is Jeff Bridges! But unless this turns out to be something radically different from MIB4 I think I'll give it a miss.

So basically it's a big budget version of GvsE with a little of Constantine mixed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That looks like everything that's wrong with CGI laden summer movies summed up in one trailer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks pretty poor. It's a shame, I was kind of looking forward to this because of the cast and I thought the concept sounded like it could make a good film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, I thought the MiB comparison might be a touch glib, but having watched the trailer I agree - RIPD is pretty shameless in its pilfering. It's one thing to wear influences on your sleeve - step forward Oblivion from recent memory - but RIPD seems to have lifted wholesale the premise, set-up & scenes from MiB1.

Though Bridges' riff on his True Grit performance does make me wonder if this is actually some form of bizarre sequel to the Coens' film, with Rooster Cogburn dispensing rough justice from beyond the grave :D

I hear the comic book is along the lines as Kick Ass and lots of fans of the comic are excited for it.

Has it got a rating yet?

EDIT

Its PG-13 so I think I might give it a miss.

Edz87 wrote: »
    EDIT

Its PG-13 so I think I might give it a miss.

There is nothing stupider than when people dismiss a film because of it's rating. By all means base your decision on the trailers and reviews but to ignore a film because of it's rating is retarded. I'm just in the door from Olympus Has Fallen, a film with a 15PG rating that a number of people dismissed as being another sanitized action film. Really could not be more wrong, it's one of the most viciously violent films to be in theaters in a long time and comparisons to the bone crunching fights in The Raid are quite apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There is nothing stupider than when people dismiss a film because of it's rating. By all means base your decision on the trailers and reviews but to ignore a film because of it's rating is retarded. I'm just in the door from Olympus Has Fallen, a film with a 15PG rating that a number of people dismissed as being another sanitized action film. Really could not be more wrong, it's one of the most viciously violent films to be in theaters in a long time and comparisons to the bone crunching fights in The Raid are quite apt.

+1

When Jaws was released it was deemed terrifying but now it can be seen on tv in the afternoon.
    Stuff they class as pg13 now would have had an 18 cert back in the day,it seems violence is ok but a flash of a tit & the rating goes to 15+ or 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that's more then a little like MIB, its virtually the same. aliens = dead ppl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Been looking forward to this ever since I heard it was being adapted into a movie.

That trailer looks truly awful though. Far too light, jokey and 'safe'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brilliant movie - so much better and more than I ever expected.

Saw this tonight and rather enjoyed it. It's pretty much a big screen version of GvE meets Men in Black without the wit of either. Still it's far better than it has any right to be and Bridges and Reynolds are excellent and have great chemistry. It's just a shame that it all feels so familiar. From the very first scene it's obvious who the big baddies going to be and there's not a single surprise in the films entire 90 minutes. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's rather refreshing to find a summer release that comes in under 90 minutes and doesn't try to be anything other than some light, easy to digest entertainment. R.I.P.D is the kind of film that you'll have forgotten 10 minutes after its over but while it lasts its never boring and manages to raise more than a few smiles. It's not a film I'd go out of my way to see but I can see myself thrown it on at some time in the future when I want something easy to kill a few minutes. .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

back from seeing this today.

i thought it was very good. from the trashing its been getting in the media i was expecting a complete car crash so i went in with low expectations but i was very plesently surprised.

renoylds puts in his best preformance since blade trinity IMO and holds up very well against bridges- who steals the show.

in fact the two work VERY well together indeed and its this that i think helps stop the film being an unwatchable sub par CGI mess.

the CGI is terrible. i mean truly awfull. but i find i didnt mind as i was enjoying the interplay between the two leads so much. they get great milage out of the fact no one see's them as they are , the bit with the "tallent scout" stand out to me, and i loved the end when ryans character gets "a new look" :D

yes there is the MIB /constantine rip off stuff but TBH it reminded me more of ghostbusters than anything else. at least in the feeling it was going for and its got a surprising amount of heart in it which i havent seen in a flim like this in ages.

its a 12sA flim and i'd be very happy to bring a 12 year old to this without any qualms as i cant see even the most skittish kid being upset by any of the imagery in it and as i said as a 40yr old bloke i enjoyed it very much for what it was myself.

theres nothing in it that makes ya NEED to see it in the cinema, so im a bit torn as to say if you should go see it or wait for the DVD as i reckon itll be more fun with a few beers in ya.

but if you DO go i cant see how you'd feel riped off either as its does what its meant to do very well, and even has some nice touches to boot.

7/10.

like white house down this is another film im gobsmacked that i actually enjoyed. ya can to a hell of alot worse.

plus its got keving bacon having a blast as a bad guy. i wasnt following this films development at all and was completelly blindsided by that one.

Advertisement