Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get your baby to sleep?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭velomelo

pwurple wrote: »
    Good to see your priorities are straight. :D

If you want to raise another Beckham or Ronaldo you gotta start early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We did this too..gave him the bottle when he wad old enough and he conked out. he was much older than four months though. its great for parent and child ;)

It didn't work out that well for us. The little gabgster has nice tooth decay on two of his teeth. The fact that we have own well for drinking water didn't help. We could use mains but water without fluoride tastes so much nicer and none of us actually thought how important it is for children.

The second one will have to do without bottle in bed. She is great atm and we just put her into bed between 8 or 9 and she sleeps till morning. She is six months so that could all change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

meeeeh wrote: »
    It didn't work out that well for us. The little gabgster has nice tooth decay on two of his teeth. The fact that we have own well for drinking water didn't help. We could use mains but water without fluoride tastes so much nicer and none of us actually thought how important it is for children.

The second one will have to do without bottle in bed. She is great atm and we just put her into bed between 8 or 9 and she sleeps till morning. She is six months so that could all change.

Just goes to show what works for one family doesn't work for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Apparently that is quite common though. They fall asleep with the bottle in their mouth and it leeks slowly onto the tooth and causes decay. We always brushed his teeth but it doesn't help if milk is in the mouth for most of the night. Then he was too young for dental work and the lack of fluoride in the water made it worse.

I feel extremely guilty and would never let a child go to bed with a bottle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

yellow hen wrote: »
    I can't use the fabric slings as he has reflux and lying down brings up puke.

The correct position in a sling is with your baby upright - which is why it's recommended so much for reflux babies. Have a look at babywearingireland or other babywearing sites to see. It was a godsend to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Apparently that is quite common though. They fall asleep with the bottle in their mouth and it leeks slowly onto the tooth and causes decay. We always brushed his teeth but it doesn't help if milk is in the mouth for most of the night. Then he was too young for dental work and the lack of fluoride in the water made it worse.

I feel extremely guilty and would never let a child go to bed with a bottle again.

You made the best decisions that were right for you. same as everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I think this says a lot. As long as all goes well it is easy to be quite careless and have a philosophy of life is to be enjoyed no matter what... When something does go wrong, the feeling of guilt even if you have done everything right will eat you up, just imagine if you knew you consciously didn't do what may have prevented the outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

foodaholic wrote: »
    The correct position in a sling is with your baby upright - which is why it's recommended so much for reflux babies. Have a look at babywearingireland or other babywearing sites to see. It was a godsend to me.

I bought an ergo and I love it. I had a wallaboo sling but it didn't work with the reflux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Woohoo finally made it to the newborn section lol. OP you'll find babs will eventually just find his own routine for settling down at night eventually. No matter what i done with munch he just wouldn't. I tried every age appropriate method that i could. What works for him is some tummy and play time on his playmat then a top and tail/bath (he only gets a bath every second day), into his pjs up the stairs and a nice warm bottle then into his basket. Funny thing is i didn't deliberatly try this. I don't have him on the playmat until k is gone to bed as i'm terrified she'll forget he's there and stomp on him when she running around like a loon. Since i've started doin this with lorcan at night, not only does he settle down easier but he's practically sleepin through the night now too, one or two feeds within nine hours as opposed to his usual 5-7 feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Thumby wrote: »
    Woohoo finally made it to the newborn section lol. OP you'll find babs will eventually just find his own routine for settling down at night eventually. No matter what i done with munch he just wouldn't. I tried every age appropriate method that i could. What works for him is some tummy and play time on his playmat then a top and tail/bath (he only gets a bath every second day), into his pjs up the stairs and a nice warm bottle then into his basket. Funny thing is i didn't deliberatly try this. I don't have him on the playmat until k is gone to bed as i'm terrified she'll forget he's there and stomp on him when she running around like a loon. Since i've started doin this with lorcan at night, not only does he settle down easier but he's practically sleepin through the night now too, one or two feeds within nine hours as opposed to his usual 5-7 feeds.

Sounds Lovely! What age is Lorcan?

• Advertisement

He's 13 weeks now (7 weeks corrected) and he's been goin down like this for nearly 3 weeks now. He only woke once last :-D so hopefully he keeps that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭ronjo

Our daughter is three weeks old and my wife feeds her about 8 and we leave her in the pram until about 10.30. Then we bring her upstairs and she gets fed again while half asleep and each of the last four nights she has slept until around six am.

Two nights ago she actually slept 9 hours solid which was fantastic as we couldn't wake her to feed her at about 11.

Thats great ronjo, just don't expect it every night yet. They usually go through a growth spurt around now and sometimes sleep a bit more then go back to waking for feeds. Fingers crossed for you though babs sticks to sleeping more for ye though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thumby wrote: »
    Thats great ronjo, just don't expect it every night yet. They usually go through a growth spurt around now and sometimes sleep a bit more then go back to waking for feeds. Fingers crossed for you though babs sticks to sleeping more for ye though.

We are really happy but know it won't necessarily last. Her sister is two and a half and she has always been a great sleeper (although not quite at as early as number two).
    We personally found you can get them on a routine at a very young age but the fact they didn't suffer from colic or have digestive problems obviously really helped.

Advertisement