Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Food

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi , I am a working mother of two gorgeous boys. As I weaned them both, I tried as best I could to stay away from pre prepared pouches and jars of food and made most meals at home in batches and froze them. Like all mothers I wanted them to have the best I could give. My sister did the same and a lot of my friends.
    My difficulty with doing this was the time it took especially after my second child and then working aswell. I cant imagine what its like to have more and so many people do. Your brilliant!!! I'm really looking for more opinions from mothers, fathers parent out there who have done the same.
    It made me really think about the products that are out there at the moment, i know i would have welcomed a product homeamde like mine, but available in supermarket, no GUILT attached. A frozen baby food. I would love to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea, one that they would like to see.
    Thanks a miilion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

We're doing baby led weaning so baby eats what we eat. I really can't understand why people feel the need to buy expensive and unnecessary baby foods. We all want what's best for our children but formula and infant nutrition companies put parents under such pressure making us feel as if we're providing inadequate and sub standard foods. If you start a business like this will you be drawn into the same clichés that those companies use?

If I wasn't doing blw, I still think it's pretty easy to stew an apple, puree some carrots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I assume that they would be pre-portioned?? otherwise it wouldn't work. And if they were - would they not start to defrost by the time you got them home? I'm sure there's a way to sell a tray of pots but unless stackable they would take up a lot of freezer space.

to be honest I'd reckon ella's kitchen and (can't remember the other one - the other organic range??) probably have the market covered??

I think once they hit the 6/7 month mark it's nothing a good blender can't sort. Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I did a bit of research on this market in 2006 because I considered developing a frozen, organic baby food product as part of my final year coursework for a college course. At that time there was a range of frozen baby foods available in Tesco stores, as suggested above frozen in portion sizes (approx. 3x size of a regular ice cube). They were mainly pureed fruit and veg combos. My research indicated the product worked out something in the region of 8 times the price of preparing the meals at home! I spoke to a manager in my local Tesco and he said they were a slow seller, with few repeat sales. I remember approaching a couple of health food shops and speaking to the staff and customers about the idea; the response was fairly negative because of the anticipated price point, (and this was at a stage when the good old Celtic Tiger was still pretty much roaring!) and the manager of one of the health shops had reservations because a product like this could only be safely frozen for 3 months and therefore would be a gamble for them to stock. The mums I spoke to agreed that a product like this would probably only be used by them as an occasional back-up plan. Based on this I decided against developing the product, but more recently was thinking of it again: what if the meals were sold online and delivered to the home, still in their frozen state? I've no idea if this would be feasible, and I realise it could add to the price of the product, but at least it would address the potential health risks with partial defrosting (inevitable given size of individual servings) and refreezing when bought from supermarket.
    Wishing you the best of luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is posted to multiple thread so closing this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement