Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Registered Post

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi everyone, would appreciate your help on dealing with An Post.

I posted a letter by at the beginning of March to Australia. Told in PO would take about 7-10 working days to arrive. Started to check track and trace around day 10, nothing. Around day 12, called An Post who requested I email them all details of my query so they can check. Never heard a thing.

Called one week later again, gentleman took my details and promised to follow up and return call, heard nothing.

Emailed original lady again this week, not even a sniff of a reply. I know if I call their customer service helpline I will just get through to another customer service person who will fob me off. Track and trace still showing nothing.

The really worrying thing is I posted a cheque for a significant amount of money. The receiver has never received the letter. I read all the small print on my postage receipt which states that "In the event of a letter going missing, a maximum value of €25 will be declared on the contents, unless customer declares otherwise". When I registered the letter, the lady working in the post office was so grumpy she could barely tell me the cost involved, not to mind asking me if I wished to declare the value of the contents. The cheque sent is for several multiples of €25!

I have taken steps to try and cancel the cheque but haven't managed to do so yet. Has anyone else had any experience of getting any issue with registered post sorted? I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

LittleT wrote: »
    Hi everyone, would appreciate your help on dealing with An Post.

I posted a letter by at the beginning of March to Australia. Told in PO would take about 7-10 working days to arrive. Started to check track and trace around day 10, nothing. Around day 12, called An Post who requested I email them all details of my query so they can check. Never heard a thing.

Called one week later again, gentleman took my details and promised to follow up and return call, heard nothing.

Emailed original lady again this week, not even a sniff of a reply. I know if I call their customer service helpline I will just get through to another customer service person who will fob me off. Track and trace still showing nothing.

The really worrying thing is I posted a cheque for a significant amount of money. The receiver has never received the letter. I read all the small print on my postage receipt which states that "In the event of a letter going missing, a maximum value of €25 will be declared on the contents, unless customer declares otherwise". When I registered the letter, the lady working in the post office was so grumpy she could barely tell me the cost involved, not to mind asking me if I wished to declare the value of the contents. The cheque sent is for several multiples of €25!

I have taken steps to try and cancel the cheque but haven't managed to do so yet. Has anyone else had any experience of getting any issue with registered post sorted? I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here

All you can do is keep chasing it. What does it say when you input the tracking number, what happens?

Tbh, if it were me, I'd cancel the cheque ASAP and send the money through Paypal or some other, more secure method.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

When I enter the track ID number, it just shows the time and location of postage in Ireland, but nothing else.

I'm in the process of trying to get the cheque cancelled and doing an EFT instead. Apart from the hassle of not being able to get the cheque sent, the manner in which An Post are simply burying their head in the sand about the issue is quite infuriating

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Make a formal complaint to ComReg (www.comreg.ie); even if you do cancel the cheque and send the funds some other way, you have paid for a service you haven't received, the tracking of a registered item)

LittleT wrote: »
    When I enter the track ID number, it just shows the time and location of postage in Ireland, but nothing else.

I'm in the process of trying to get the cheque cancelled and doing an EFT instead. Apart from the hassle of not being able to get the cheque sent, the manner in which An Post are simply burying their head in the sand about the issue is quite infuriating

Have you tried entering the tracking number into the Australian Postal System?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Registered post can be patchy, not just on the An Post side but more so on the receiving countries side. It leaves Ireland and gets passed to Australia post and that's the end of An Post's involvement.

Try tracking it on Australia Post's website first. But I'd give it 3-4 weeks before I'd think it was lost.

http://auspost.com.au/track/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Registered post can be patchy, not just on the An Post side but more so on the receiving countries side. It leaves Ireland and gets passed to Australia post and that's the end of An Post's involvement.

that may be so....but An post tracking should then say its been delivered to XYZ location in Australia. I see that happening all the time with post to UK.

takes forever though to get to destination. Its nearly cheaper and more time effective to send by courier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

daheff wrote: »
    that may be so....but An post tracking should then say its been delivered to XYZ location in Australia. I see that happening all the time with post to UK.

takes forever though to get to destination. Its nearly cheaper and more time effective to send by courier

somewhere on the An Post site it mentions that they can only track within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭davetherave

I could have sworn that the An Post website will only track it up to departure at Dublin Airport (or it's Departure Point) at which point the postal service in the receiving country will pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

somewhere on the An Post site it mentions that they can only track within Ireland.

I think this means to a specific address.
    I could have sworn that the An Post website will only track it up to departure at Dublin Airport (or it's Departure Point) at which point the postal service in the receiving country will pick it up.

Most certainly not. If I could figure out how to post a pic I could show one that says location of Great Britain.

Advertisement