Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Food

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi , I am a working mother of two gorgeous boys. As I weaned them both, I tried as best I could to stay away from pre prepared pouches and jars of food and made most meals at home in batches and froze them. Like all mothers I wanted them to have the best I could give. My sister did the same and a lot of my friends.
    My difficulty with doing this was the time it took especially after my second child and then working aswell. I cant imagine what its like to have more and so many people do. Your brilliant!!! I'm really looking for more opinions from mothers, fathers parent out there who have done the same.
    It made me really think about the products that are out there at the moment, i know i would have welcomed a product homeamde like mine, but available in supermarket, no GUILT attached. A frozen baby food. I would love to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea, one that they would like to see.
    Thanks a miilion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I mostly prepared meals myself and used pre prepared stuff every so often. But if you are asking if I'd buy pre prepared frozen food my answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No I wouldn't buy frozen meals. I always made mine and on the very odd occasion bought a jar of food, if I was out and about and stuck.

Making the food is no bother, particularly with most supermarkets selling prepared fresh mixed vegetables. By the time you go back to work after maternity leave, they'll be 6-9 months so you'll be well into the swing of preparing food by then, particularly if you cut the salt/sugar/additives out and just give the baby what you're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I have bought 1 jar of food, when I was stuck one day out and my daughter refused it so that was the end of that. At my second, I actually never prepared anything but what we were having ourselves and I always make a little extra to freeze, so there really isn't any more work than cooking for us anyway. I like the little extra frozen in case there aren't any leftovers to send to childminder, but I don't think I would buy pre-prepared frozen baby food no.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Like everyone else, my little one was only given a jar every now and then. I didn't find it that much hassle to prepare her food and most of the time it was a simpler version of what we had. I also freeze portions for her so I rarely had to resort to jars.
    I personally wouldn't buy frozen baby meals.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 1st one loved jars and was not a fan of homemade dinners,my 2nd hated them and loved home made food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We did baby led weaning with great success. Our lass refused purees and we've never bothered with commercial baby foods. So wouldn't be for us. But I know parents who love ellas pouches and organic baby foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

lazygal wrote: »
    We did baby led weaning with great success. Our lass refused purees and we've never bothered with commercial baby foods. So wouldn't be for us. But I know parents who love ellas pouches and organic baby foods.

^^^ pretty much the exact same here. Baby led weaning cut out a lot of work, and had the added bonus of making me eat more healthily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No I wouldn't buy frozen baby food because I don't buy frozen prepared food for my husband and I.

I also did baby led weaning but no matter what type of weaning you do the easiest, most cost effective is to give the baby the same food as you eat whether it's puréed, lumpy or finger food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think what your asking is really if it's a viable business option and my answer would be no. To have the scale you'd be asking, something would have to have a production line. Many things claim to be "home made" but not a lot actually are and if you wanted to be supplying to supermarkets it wouldn't really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know one of the problems with packaged is salt, preservatives etc, which you could eliminate with frozen... But the other reason this family don't eat mass produced food is that it is not wide enough exposure to a range of tastes, which to me, is what weaning should be.

Frozen baby food, I wouldn't buy it. I used to just whizz up whatever the rest of us were eating. I don't think there would ever be enough variety in prepackaged to give a varied diet, and enough tastes of new things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 blackhair

Thank you very much for your opinion, I really appreciate this. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me, its something Ive been thinking about for a while and great to get your opinion.

Thanks a million for reply, I really appreciate your opinion, its a great help.
    Take care

Thanks very much for replying to my post, I value your opinion. Thanks again

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it, Its great to hear from others and how we all do things. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Chloe47

Hi I was wondering if any of you had a recipe that was lactose and gluten free suitable for breckfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Amicranky89

I make a lot of my own baby food also but I when I go back to work which is very soon I intend to try and use some of the ready made food.. Some of the organic pureed fruits and veg look pretty safe to me.. As long as there is No preservatives I'll be happy... But I really wouldn't stress about it to much if you need to buy some baby food then do it....

Advertisement