Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhino horn stolen in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Do the people in the Far East that buy this really not care that they are pushing the Rhino into extinction?

If this insatiable greed for rhino horn does infact end in the extinction of the rhino then there has to be some sort of serious consequence for countries involved in chinese medicine.

I just cant get my head around how this is happening. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Well they obviously don't care because they think they're benefitting hugely from taking this stuff. What makes it worse is that Rhino horn does S.F.A. for them! They'd be just as well off chewing on some hair or fingernails!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The belief in this type of "medicine" is no more daft than the belief in homeopathy, reflexology, bio-energy, acupuncture etc. imo but unfortunately gullible people's money is not the only thing at stake in this case.

The extinction of species of rhino due to the market for this stuff is the pinnacle of human stupidity and callous pursuit of financial gain rolled into one. Truly baffling that this happens in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The Gang needs to hunted down and caged for a long period, made an example of.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

The thing I can never understand is don't these people realise that if the rhino goes extinct there'll be no more rhino horn? Obviously I'm completely against and outraged by rhino horn being used as "medicine" but you'd think the people who use it would at least care enough to realise that you need rhinos to get this product!

I'm very disappointed to hear about this happening here. I like to think people here would no better but greed always wins in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

An unfortunate update to this sad story.

It seems that the four stolen rhino heads were the same ones removed from the Merrion St. museum earlier this year and placed in storage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22200051

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Do the people in the Far East that buy this really not care that they are pushing the Rhino into extinction?

If this insatiable greed for rhino horn does infact end in the extinction of the rhino then there has to be some sort of serious consequence for countries involved in chinese medicine.

I just cant get my head around how this is happening. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

One word - ignorance!!. Its behind nearly every conservation challenge the world faces today, from direct persecution,trade in endangered species products to the illegal pet trade.. Many Chinese beleive that the likes of Ivory comes from tusks that fall out like milk teeth from living elephants - I kid you not. Numerous other examples I could go into too.

Advertisement