Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student interview

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I've been called to interview for two degree courses in Computers. I'm in my mid 30's and my knowledge of computers is basic. I decided to apply for these courses in the hope of future employment opportunites. Now that I've been called for interview, I'm stressing out that I won't be able to answer the questions that I will be asked. Has anyone else been through these interviews? If so, what are the questions like and what level of knowledge is necessary to pass the interviews?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I can't answer your question directly as I've never interviewed for a computer course, but I have interviewed for mature entry to degrees before.
    I wouldn't stress about it if i were you, just be as well prepared as you can. As a mature applicant you should be able to display good personal qualities, commitment, work ethic, relevant work experience ( any work experience is relevant, you will have obtained skills a school leaver hasn't yet).
    As far as the the technical questions go, just read the basic requirements from the course info and read up anything you can relating to it. If you have the time there are hundreds of free online IT courses here, from a few hours to a few months, you might find something useful.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I had one last year in Tallaght, once I mentioned programming that's all that was talked about. No questions on networks or anything. I suppose it could depend on what type of computer course it is. They might ask you why you didn't go to college when you were younger, they asked me anyway. If you know anything about web development or that you could mention that.

When's the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Naraka

A week from tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ReDdevil87

I had an interview on wed just gone, it was for a different course however. I was asked why did I want to do the particular course I chose. Be sure to have a legitimate answer for that in so far as where you want to go after you finish your degree eg. employment or further education. If you haven't been in education since leaving secondary school try to give examples of what you have learned on your own that would be relevant to the degree you have chosen. But above all just try to express that they will not regret giving you a position, that you are willing to put in all the work required and then some. It's called an 'interview' but it's more of a Q&A so don't get worked up about it, the people who will be 'interviewing' you are very nice. This might sound corny but don't be afraid to get excited about the prospect of going to DCU and doing your desired course when you are explaining to them why you want to go, they want to see that you have a passion for education and that you wont drop out 6 months into the course. I hope it all goes well for you and best of luck.

sorry just realised that your post did not say anything about DCU, but id say the info in my previous post should be relevant for all mature student interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Naraka wrote: »
    A week from tuesday.
    Look up thenewboston.com so you know a bit about computer science or whatever it is your going for, there's more maths in computing than you'd expect so they might ask about Leaving cert or junior cert results in it. Like the previous poster said its not the interview you'd be used to from jobs, but they do have a good few mature applicants for these courses, but many will be like yourself, not overly experienced with computers. It won't be a load of lifelong techy geeks applying and you, most of the interviewee's I talked to knew only Microsoft word, powerpoint and facebook. You can leave your tin of fruit at home too.:D

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

I have had two computing degree interviews so far, one with DIT over the phone and the other face to face in DCU.
    They couldn't have been more different, the DIT interview was basically them ringing me to offer the place with just a few loose questions about why this degree and what my interests are etc. Finishing with "I hope to see you in September" Result!

The DCU interview was pretty in depth, asking about pretty much every aspect of my application. I have literally no idea how it went, apart from nervously!

The Head of course finished the interview by saying he would fill in his report on me and forward it to the registry, no indication at all about whether I would be recommended or if my prospects are good or bad. Is this normal?! Every post I read on here they seem to have gotten an indication that they have done well or are knocked back with a "come back next year after doing x, y and z" type response.
    I can only guess I gave a crap interview but may get in if the competition was worse, my application was reasonably strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

Had 2 interviews last year one with DCU and one with Dit, couldn't off been more different, DCU couldn't make it more uncomfortable if they tried and sit across a big table judging you while I met face to face with the head of the business college in Dit who couldn't of made it more relaxing was and still is a absolute gent! DCU told me i couldn't do it go to a plc bla bla bla while Dit gave me confidence and needless to say I haven't let them down in my exams so far!! Couldn't recommend Dit highly enough

So my first interview is on tomorrow in Athlone I.T. To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 penguinpep

Hi Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but here I go any way? Has anyone that has applied as a Mature Student for Speech and Language in TCD got any hints/tips for the interview process.Any help would be much appreciated!! :-)

• Advertisement

Well that was probably the most disappointing interview that I've ever had. I was called for interview 55 minutes later than scheduled. I arrived 15 minutes early and was not informed of any delay. The interview itself was rushed and I felt that the questions that were asked were almost negatively put. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the interview lasted no more than 10 minutes, and I felt that it was rushed to make up time. I have to say that as a result of the interview, I am reconsidering my order of preference as to which college to attend. All in all, a major letdown. Now to prepare for the next interview in two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Naraka wrote: »
    Well that was probably the most disappointing interview that I've ever had. I was called for interview 55 minutes later than scheduled. I arrived 15 minutes early and was not informed of any delay. The interview itself was rushed and I felt that the questions that were asked were almost negatively put. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the interview lasted no more than 10 minutes, and I felt that it was rushed to make up time. I have to say that as a result of the interview, I am reconsidering my order of preference as to which college to attend. All in all, a major letdown. Now to prepare for the next interview in two weeks!

Had the same experience myself in AIT last year, and chose to go to DIT instead. Got the offer nonetheless, so if its still what you're after, I wouldn't worry too much. Just seemed a really unprofessional operation from the get-go, so I didn't think twice about changing my preferences.

ghpeople wrote: »
    Had the same experience myself in AIT last year, and chose to go to DIT instead. Got the offer nonetheless, so if its still what you're after, I wouldn't worry too much. Just seemed a really unprofessional operation from the get-go, so I didn't think twice about changing my preferences.

That's bad form that this has hapened before and they obviously haven't learned from their mistakes. It makes for a very bad first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elle04

Naraka, when did you hear back from AIT?? What course you going for??

I didn't hear back from them yet, offers won't be sent until the first week in July.

Just got word that I got my first choice in DCU :D

Was cheeky and rang them to find out.

My advice to anyone about to do interviews is make sure your enthusiasm for the course is obvious, they have to know you really want to be there.
    Also if you give a nervy, slightly crap interview don't lose hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

Nordie. Can i ask what youve been accepted for as im waiting to hear back from their physical education course. Had an interview a few weeks back.

It was a computing degree, nothing related to physical education. I'd imagine you'll get word very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

It was a computing degree, nothing related to physical education. I'd imagine you'll get word very soon.

Thanks. Dreading the wait. Im in nui at the moment and cant focus on exams at all because this is the dream course. sure see how it goes!

Best of luck! Hopefully see ya at orientation!

• Advertisement

Well done Nordie delighted for you. I was pretty much told in my DCU interview that I would get a place in september but nothing official would be sent to me until July. However, I got an email from UCD to say I was being offered a place there and that will be confirmed by the CAO offers in July. UCD was my first choice but I think I'd prefer going to DCU to be honest, so who knows might see you there in Sept :)

Advertisement