Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoca Lemonade

Options
  • 18-04-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Lots of lemonade recipes out there, I've made a few and results have been varying. I was in avoca rathcoole a while ago and tried their lemonade in the restaraunt and was nicest one Ive had. Anyone know how to make that specific one?

hoping someone has it in a book somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not in either of the two Avoca cookbooks I have. What was special about the Avoca one that you can remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Alun wrote: »
    It's not in either of the two Avoca cookbooks I have. What was special about the Avoca one that you can remember?

Hard to say, perfect match on the palate between sweetness and hint of bitter with the jug full of ice, berries and mint.

I tried experimenting with what I thought were the ingredients but couldnt get close to that taste.

Well, the thing that really gives lemonade it's taste isn't the juice as you might think, but the peel, or more precisely the citrus oils found in it. The important thing to remember is that you have to peel it off very, very thinly (use a potato peeler) to make sure you don't get any of the white pith which would give it a bitter taste (which is how you make bitter lemon not unsurprisingly!)

The recipe I've always used is deceptively simple ...

3 lemons
    175g sugar
    900ml boiling water

Peel the rind off very thinly, and place in a bowl with the sugar. Pour over the boiling water, cover and leave until cool, stirring occasionally. When cool add the juice of the lemons ... simples :)

Now, lemons vary in size and sweetness, so results will vary a bit, so you may want to hold back a bit on the sugar and add some later if the result is already sweet enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

My grandma's recipe for lemonade squash couldnt be simpler. Mix equal parts lemon juice and sugar, no boiling. The most important detail is that I'm from a place famous for its quality lemons. So buy the best and it makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My take on lemonade is:

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup boiling water
    1.5 liters water
    Lots of ice

Mix the lemon and sugar in hot water until dissolved. Then add the rest of the water. Ice it good. Ice it real good.
    When I was pregnant with my first one I had a craving for lemonade so I was making them everyday, squeezing the bloody lemons.

Avoca made it pretty with all the berries and mint sprigs, plus you get a choice of sparkling or still. I'm sure you can adapt this style to your lemonade easily.
    ** I also like how they give out a jug of tap water filled with cucumber slices and mint sprigs.

• Advertisement

Regarding the above two recipes, you really should try it with the thinly sliced rind, it really adds a whole new dimension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Substituting cranberry juice for some of the water makes pretty pink lemonade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Six lemons, one pound of sugar, one litre of water. Teaspoon of citric acid and one teaspoon of epsom salts.

Boil all together and strain. Dilute to taste.

Advertisement