Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea property scene

Options
  • 18-04-2013 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

We are regular visitors to Galway and have been considering a move to the county, possibly Loughrea or Craughwell area.
    As non residents, we would not be very familiar with the property scene around either town and woudl appreciate any " heads up" boarders could give us regarding well regarded areas/properties, also any areas to avoid etc. We are interested in a small estate property or countryside localtion within easy reach of town or village. From interrogating Daft/MyHome, there doesn't appear to be much happening on the property scene there ?
    Any advice or comment welcome !
    Woody

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

A friend lived there up until recently, she was an out of towner like yourself. She didn't settle there and also found it really hard to get work locally. She has moved back to the east coast in the last month and got a job more or less straight away.

I couldn't comment much on the property market there. Except to say that a lot of the newer houses were thrown up in a hurry during the boom and some estates still remain unfinished for the last 5 years. Also a lot of the houses in the estate my friend was in developed a pinkish colour to the concrete on the gable ends of the houses, I'm not sure what it was but most likely not a good sign.

Things are cheap there. I seem to remember a pub on the main street for sale recently for €80,000. You might find more houses for sale if you go down and talk to the local agents, some of them may not advertise on Daft. Local papers would also be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Property in Loughrea is cheap, the shopping is good - we live in Moycullen and oftern pop over there to go in Aldi and Supervalue as the shops there are bigger and quieter than the ones in the City. Coreys deli is also fantastic.
    You can commust in from Loughrea quite easily, a work colleague of mine does this without issues and he wors over the west side.
    You may need to adjust your work starting time to avoid the 9:10 to 9:30 traffic jam, but apart from that there is nothing wrong with Loughrea.

We are considering moving there is the right house for us comes up. Currentyl we live in moycullen and do not find that location advantageous.
    Also Loughrea has fiber broadband )to the exchange) so if so are a computer freak like me you will get better speeds.
    All in all I feel that good money had been spent brining Loughrea into the 21st Century and much of the rest of Galway did not receive the same funding.

Fair enough about the ghost estates, but I can see those either being occupied or demolished in the next 5 years.

Advertisement