Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddypower moving into Trappers Inn?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was in a taxi yesterday passing the Trappers Inn on the Tuam Rd and the driver said PaddyPower were supposedly moving into the restaurant part (Jacksons).

Has anyone heard anything on this? In many ways I can see how it's possible but the pub itself has always been disappointing as a boozer.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Paddy Powers are moving into Restaurant area and the Pub will still do bar food. Paddy Powers rarely get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

The ideal location for a bookies is between a Post Office and a pub. There must be some amount of money spent on gambling in Ireland, could it replace alcohol as our great social problem. Having said that, some analysts were unhappy with the performance of the Paddy Power stores in Ireland in the last financial year.

I haven't seen as many bookies close as pubs so I'd say gambling is on the increase. Government will soon slap a tax on that too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Is there a law against a pub and a bookmakers being on the same premises?

To be honest its not a bad move by either party given the catchment area and the general lack of competition - but this might draw the wrong crowd. I always thought that if Trappers gave itself a makeover it would start raking it in.

In years gone by alot of pubs used to double up as bookies (don't know if they were licensed) but it will not do any of the two of them any harm to be side by side. Pub still does a busy lunch trade and having a bookies next door may bring in extra customers. All in all I think it's a smart move a lot of people working and living in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hi all,

I was in a taxi yesterday passing the Trappers Inn on the Tuam Rd and the driver said PaddyPower were supposedly moving into the restaurant part (Jacksons).

Has anyone heard anything on this? In many ways I can see how it's possible but the pub itself has always been disappointing as a boozer.

Cheers.

They have applied for planning permission to change the at least part of the restaurant (Jacksons) into a bookies. The information is available in the planning section of the city council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

Is there a law against a pub and a bookmakers being on the same premises?

Huntsmann??
    I don't see a problem in the same premises! if they want to place a bet if it was across the road or beside they would still place a bet as in many towns they would be in close proximity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Galway2013

i would personally think its a terrible location. not enough round it. but im sure paddy powers know there business then me

Galway2013 wrote: »
    i would personally think its a terrible location. not enough round it. but im sure paddy powers know there business then me

There is a lot of businesses around and plenty of people head to the bookies during their lunch break and after work and there is no bookies around there at the moment. Combine that with the availability of actually getting your lunch in the trappers and they will get a big trade. Both businesses will feed of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Galway2013

There is a lot of businesses around and plenty of people head to the bookies during their lunch break and after work and there is no bookies around there at the moment. Combine that with the availability of actually getting your lunch in the trappers and they will get a big trade. Both businesses will feed of each other.

there is bruce betting in liosbaun that arent overally busy, also there was pc sports on tuam road that closed and also mull hollands in well park that closed, but the mull hollands in mervue seems to have a steady trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

It's free parking- that's a big plus for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Hopefully won't affect the food in there. Does savage evening meals, one of the best pubs for grub in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Amik wrote: »
    A resident that has been living in Hazel Park for decades told me that the little forest in the estate is a fairy fort. It was left untouched when the estate was built.

I visited it today and it is circular and slightly raised like the ones I've seen in the Burren. I'm not sure how common such forts are this side of the bay. He also mentioned that tour buses returning from the Connemara used to make a stop there.

Anyone else heard about it before? Here's the location:

http://binged.it/17Qu9G3

Jaysus! Paddy Power will open anywhere. They are even gettin squirrels to gamble now ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I dont think their plan is to target people to 'drop in' on their way home or on their lunchbreaks, I'd figure it must be aiming at people to spend hours on the sauce gambling.

I'd prefer if that building was gutted and refurbished. It's the closest pub to where I live yet I rarely go there.

Advertisement