Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second year visa question

Options
  • 18-04-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭

So currently on a farm for a few weeks but want to nail down exactly how to calculate it.
    The manager says we'll be signed off for how long we work for which in my case is currently 5 weeks but hopefully 3 months.
    Now some weeks I've done nearly 50 hours , while others I've 12.
    Going by example on immi site
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

the 50 hour weeks count as full weeks so can count that as 7 days while for 12 hour week I count that as the 2 days I worked. Is that right?

Do diac go through and figure how many days worked. Do they go through payslips and notice how I get 200 one week and 800 the next.
    People constantly say once you're signed up for 3 months it's all good. Is that how it works in reality?

I find this aspect of it annoyingly vague.
    Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

the only thing thats vague is you listening to 'hearsay' its plain and simple on the immi website. you work an industry standard week its counted as 7 days. if you work two days its counted as 2 days even if in those two days you worked 15 hour shifts. at this risk of sounding illegal on here if you do 40 hours over 3 days it would pass off as a weeks work i would assume as your pay slips are going to give the whole weeks date not just the days you worked id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

I was in a similar situation with the farming where one week 1 was working 40 hours and another week I was only working 20 but "technically" i was full time :)

I submitted my visa and got investigated so I sent them examples of payslips for when I had the highest hours. I also sent them a letter from the farmer where I was confirming that I had done the time there. And I sent a bank statement showing that I had shopped in the local town etc and got approved without any issue.

So when submitting I would suggest putting in your payslips with most amount of hours and if you have them with the dates showing 1 at the start, 1 at the middle and 1 at the end, there should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I was in a similar situation with the farming where one week 1 was working 40 hours and another week I was only working 20 but "technically" i was full time :)

I submitted my visa and got investigated so I sent them examples of payslips for when I had the highest hours. I also sent them a letter from the farmer where I was confirming that I had done the time there. And I sent a bank statement showing that I had shopped in the local town etc and got approved without any issue.

I do not want to offer any illegal advice but the system can be abused in the way that Karen has suggested. Say if you work on a farm intermittently for 6 months and some weeks you do 60 hours, some you do 40 and in some you only do 10. When you get the equivalent of your p45 off your employer it will say you worked 6 months and all the money you earned. So even if you only did 50 days of work you can make it seem like 90. I would not advise doing this as you can get investigated. But as Karen said if the farmers on your side and you can show you were on the farm via payslips and local shopping they will more than likely believe you. I don’t think its plausible they will ring a farmer and ask did x work the industry stand amount of hours on Tuesday the 26th of May 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cooker3 wrote: »
    the 50 hour weeks count as full weeks so can count that as 7 days while for 12 hour week I count that as the 2 days I worked. Is that right?

That's more of less right.
    Unless of course the weeks you worked 2 days was because of bank holidays, or something similar and the farm was closed and nobody work. In that case, its counted as 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Mellor wrote: »
    That's more of less right.
    Unless of course the weeks you worked 2 days was because of bank holidays, or something similar and the farm was closed and nobody work. In that case, its counted as 7.

Yeah actually 1 of the times was easter weekend when nobody worked on the farm from good friday to easter monday.
    But it's as I roughly thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement