Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value lathe ? Starting turning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I've left my thoughts in my response to your PM. Having looked at the advert again it would be worth having a look at and checking those things I mentioned. I'd ditch that chuck though and get one that seats closer to the housing and not protruding out far like that one. I'm nearly certain that this is threaded 3/4"x16TPI. If you were going to go for it, the speed can only be changed when the lathe is running.
    Now picture this, you've mounted half of a log that is out of balance on the lathe. If you last had the lathe at the highest speed and started it up with that blank on it the lathe would dance all around your shed or probably chuck the wood back at you.

SIP 01938 Pro Swivel Head Wood Lathe 12x36in, 550w (230v)
    SIP 01938 professional level woodturning lathe.
    Hollow tailstock. 360 degree swivel headstock.
    10 speeds variable from 500 to 2000 rpm.
    Motor 550w (3/4 hp), 230v (13amp).
    Distance between centres : 900mm ((36inch).
    Maximum turning diameter : 300mm (12inch).
    Overall length : 1300mm.
    Digital speed display read-out.
    SIP 2 Year Warranty.

Comes with steel leg stand, faceplate, drive and live tailstock centres, 2 tool rests and bowl turning tool rest holder.

This is what the SIP site says it comes with. It doesn't mention what taper the spindle may be but I'd hazard a guess it's 1MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Thanks mate.

QUOTE=woodturner;84217019]I've left my thoughts in my response to your PM. Having looked at the advert again it would be worth having a look at and checking those things I mentioned. I'd ditch that chuck though and get one that seats closer to the housing and not protruding out far like that one. I'm nearly certain that this is threaded 3/4"x16TPI. If you were going to go for it, the speed can only be changed when the lathe is running.
    Now picture this, you've mounted half of a log that is out of balance on the lathe. If you last had the lathe at the highest speed and started it up with that blank on it the lathe would dance all around your shed or probably chuck the wood back at you.

SIP 01938 Pro Swivel Head Wood Lathe 12x36in, 550w (230v)
    SIP 01938 professional level woodturning lathe.
    Hollow tailstock. 360 degree swivel headstock.
    10 speeds variable from 500 to 2000 rpm.
    Motor 550w (3/4 hp), 230v (13amp).
    Distance between centres : 900mm ((36inch).
    Maximum turning diameter : 300mm (12inch).
    Overall length : 1300mm.
    Digital speed display read-out.
    SIP 2 Year Warranty.

Comes with steel leg stand, faceplate, drive and live tailstock centres, 2 tool rests and bowl turning tool rest holder.

This is what the SIP site says it comes with. It doesn't mention what taper the spindle may be but I'd hazard a guess it's 1MT.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement