Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long to go from B2 to C1

• 18-04-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I am just wondering whether anyone here has acquired a C1 (or higher) level in a foreign language WHILE living in Ireland (or another English speaking country).

I know what the official position is regarding hours etc according to the initial framework. I live in Dublin and will soon do a B2 level exam and would like to get a C1 level a year or 18 months later but as I cannot immerse myself in the language I don't know whether this is "do-able" as I've heard the difference, especially in vocabulary is huge.

I usually study about 2 hours a day in total (including an hour listening to radio on way to work/home).

Does anyone have any personal experience (and please no links to the official guide to hours of study required under the common framework).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Do you go to any language exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I probably go to two a week and speak for an hour in Spanish and an hour in English at each one. I also have a 3 hour class once a week (all in Spanish - no English).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Could you try to do a one/two month language course in a foreign country. I think this was the way I went from B2 to C1 in French.

Also, maybe try living with/befriending native speakers. It's a hard one for me to call. My undergrad is in foreign languages, so I'm always in contact with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With C1 stuff, you're moving from being a competent foreign speaker to being a somewhat competent colloquial speaker with a wider vocabulary range for technical stuff.

This can only come from absorbing as much from native sources as possible, imo.

With C1 stuff, you're moving from being a competent foreign speaker to being a somewhat competent colloquial speaker with a wider vocabulary range for technical stuff.

This can only come from absorbing as much from native sources as possible, imo.

Yeah, I'm pretty much there with the grammar but everytime I read an article there are new words, and when I talk to Spanish people there are another couple of expressions. It seems never ending. It isn't feasible to live in Spain as I'm lucky enough to have a very good job here.

I think I'll give it another year or so and then maybe start another language from scratch and get the joy of the leaps and bounds you make when starting a language . Portuguese would seem easy enough to get to a B1 level in if I already have decent Spanish although I see there are intensive german courses too (3 nights a week) and I think a B1 level of German would be good .

I guess I can't make up mind whether I want an excellent knowledge in one language or to have a decent level in a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Sorry for the late reply, just wanted to mention that it is very easy to learn Portuguese once you have a decent level of Spanish. A lot of the grammar and vocabulary is very similar and once you've learnt a few rules about the differences (for example "a" for "la" and "o" for "el"), you'll be laughing.

I passed the DELE B2 getting just under 90% so I am feeling good about my Spanish. However, I've heard the gap between this and C1 is really big. It is not possible for me to live abroad for even a month so I am relying on talking to Spanish speakers in Dublin, watching films, reading websites, and studying grammar in class (one 3 hour class). I average 1.5 to 2 hours a day studying via a mixture of the above.

Who here has a C1 or higher level in a foreign language and how did you get there from B2?

I'm doing a c1 course at the moment in german. I did the first half of the b2 level in a course in dublin (I've always done courses with goethe since a1.1) and then did a 2 week course in frankfurt. The rest of my class were mostly c1 level, but since I was upper end b2 they threw me and a few others in with them. It was eye opening :P After that I got a lot more confidence and vocab. I also have a german friend so I'm able to chat with her and text.
    Now that I have more free time I'm reading a german novel, starting a vocab training exercise book, etc.

If you had time I would suggest going over to do even a 1 week course there, it would help immensely
    Other than that what you're doing sounds good

• It's most definitely doable, and I don't believe you need to live there at all. In this day and age, you have unlimited material online. I listen to Spanish podcasts on my way into work, read newspaper articles on my Kindle and Skype chats on a daily basis, and I live in London. I speak way, way more Spanish now than I did when I lived in Spain, because I was teaching English there and surrounded by English speakers. In Dublin, you'll also have no bother finding Spanish people to practise with in real life - that's what I used to do when I lived there, just meet up 2x a week with a Spanish person in a cafe for a chat.

Just keep doing what you're doing - vocab is the biggest thing to work on, IMO. Make sure you're learning new words and expressions every day. I find the DELE C1 book quite good for this, but also just read newspapers and books.

Advertisement